LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

the whitner/jackson hit writes the nfl's obituary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
doesn't college FB replay illegal hits?

Yep. Under the new "targeting" rule they review it to determine if the was indeed illegal. If it is illegal the player is ejected, if not they overturn the ejection. Sometimes the pick up the flag, but usually the penalty still stands.

Ronnie Lott "targeted" anyone carrying the ball - that's why he was such a great hitter.
  • Liono
There is absolutely no good reason why Personal Foul, and PI penalties should not be reviewable. The argument that it will "slow down the game" is absolute horse s**t. Teams only have two challenges anyway. But these two types of calls are so often blown, and so often change the outcome of a game.
Originally posted by titan:
Double standard! Kaepernick got hit helmet to helmet while still in the pocket looking to pass, but scrambled the wrong way....no flag?!

saw that too.

Not famous enough yet to get that call.
I wish more coaches would speak up about this. Of course I don't expect the Sean Peyton's of the NFL to mind.
Originally posted by Liono:
There is absolutely no good reason why Personal Foul, and PI penalties should not be reviewable. The argument that it will "slow down the game" is absolute horse s**t. Teams only have two challenges anyway. But these two types of calls are so often blown, and so often change the outcome of a game.

Know what else slows the game? Commercial break on every down. NFL's really scraping the bottom of the barrel for funds these days. Jersey sales aren't yielding much a margin, clearly.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
bad calls are going to start changing the outcomes of playoff games, and that will alienate players and fans more than anything.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by titan:
Double standard! Kaepernick got hit helmet to helmet while still in the pocket looking to pass, but scrambled the wrong way....no flag?!

saw that too.

Not famous enough yet to get that call.

Not loved enough goodell love....
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Brooks also wasn't fined for his personal foul. So the refs screwed up twice.
Even though the league is being retarded and the refs are incompetent, the players should do themselves a favor and just wrap up tackle. i know it pussifies the game, but if it means not allowing the refs to determine the outcome of the game, it must be done.
A bit off topic, but did Brooks ultimately pay for his hit on Drew Brees? I know he got fined at first, but he appealed it and I have no idea if he was successful or not. If he was successful, then that's yet another time the refs failed.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
Even though the league is being retarded and the refs are incompetent, the players should do themselves a favor and just wrap up tackle. i know it pussifies the game, but if it means not allowing the refs to determine the outcome of the game, it must be done.

Fair point, but doesn't wrapping up essentially just make it easier for receivers to make the catch? The point of the hit is to separate the receiver from the ball. Sure, it gets ugly sometimes, but I don't see how giving up the catch (vs. risking a flag) helps defenders any.

I agree that the NFL just make it reviewable and challengeable because we're at a point now where defenders aren't being flagged for illegal hits, they're being flagged for hitting too hard.

Which is ridiculous.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
at least, here you can say that the receiver is defenseless.
Brooks is getting his money back for the illegal hit on Drew Brees. F**k you NFL officials committee and f**k you Saints.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
at least, here you can say that the receiver is defenseless.

I am piss off that Seahawks copy for us that 49ers love hit hard.. U can't copy for us.. Yoooooo cheat copy mine!
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Brooks is getting his money back for the illegal hit on Drew Brees. F**k you NFL officials committee and f**k you Saints.

Well, that answers my question.
Share 49ersWebzone