There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

the whitner/jackson hit writes the nfl's obituary

• SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea this is on the league more than the refs in my opininon. They refs are being told to throw these flags

True. They are told when in doubt throw the flag. But honestly, the league needs an influx of youth as referees as well. Some of these guys that are 50-70 years old just cant keep up with the much younger players. Monday nights crew for example was the worst I have seen all year.
Originally posted by SoCold:

I hope eventually they'll be able to review these kind of hits. Clearly that was not helmet to helmet and was a good hard hit.

I was on the John when that play happened, after seeing this replay I can see it was a total BS call. Playing an opponent is a difficult challenge to begin with, but when teams also have to contend with the referees, that difficulty multiplies. Bad penalties are a part of the game, but more than ever they are affecting the outcomes of games. I went to the Patriot's game in '08 and in spite of the loss it was a great experience, but I have a difficult time wanting to contribute to the NFL other than watching their games on TV because of horrible refereeing.
The league MUST enforce these and hopefully players will stop launching themselves into one another. The penalty wasn't the helmet to helmet more than it was the act of launching.

If the NFL doesn't enforce this and the players don't stop doing this, then tackle football will go downhill.

I am already seeing a big decrease in youth football signups. This is mainly because people would rather play other sports over a sport that has a high probability of an injury.

I will tell you right now, if the league doesn't try to soften things up, football will deteriorate in the youth programs.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:
The league MUST enforce these and hopefully players will stop launching themselves into one another. The penalty wasn't the helmet to helmet more than it was the act of launching.

If the NFL doesn't enforce this and the players don't stop doing this, then tackle football will go downhill.

I am already seeing a big decrease in youth football signups. This is mainly because people would rather play other sports over a sport that has a high probability of an injury.

I will tell you right now, if the league doesn't try to soften things up, football will deteriorate in the youth programs.
are you cereal ?

do you not see the gif lol

his feet never left the ground

he dropped his shoulder right in his chest
That was definitely a blown call. I wonder if the 49ers heard back from the league with an apology?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

by rule that's not a foul either

davis should stay on the ground instead of jumping for every catch
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

That's a good hard legit hit on VD. I see the ref pulling a yellow rag out of his pants doe.

On second thought. That might be a fore arm to VD's neck.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

IDGAF about the youth program though I get your point. But I'm tired of my game being messed up. As for my son if he wants to play I will let him. You got one life and one chance to be a man or a wolf. I won't try to persuade my son to punk out on life. If he wants the football I tell him to go get it with a cruel and savage intent. That's football ... that's life!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Dec 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM ]
Of the plays I most enjoyed watching in the Monday night game, this hard hit was probably my 7th or 8th favorite. It will suck to not get to enjoy plays like this but there is plenty left to enjoy in football.

If not seeing plays like this is the price we have to pay then I guess its worth it. My only issue is consistency: are they gonna make the same calls in a playoff game?
I will say this. I have two sons, 22 and 8. My oldest played WR in the PAC 10 and my youngest of plays now. Where I live a had too many sign ups for Youth football and had to turn kids away, having 2 teams at each level. My oldest used to tell me "Dad these guys don't care, they are literally trying to kill you every play!" I also have a good friend that played in the league at safety for the 13 years. He told me that you never try to tackle a RB straight up, saying they will run your ass over! Saying they are way to big and strong (see Eric Reid vs Mike Tolbert) that you can really only hit them from the side or if they are off balance. That said not sure how Whitner was supposed to tackle Jackson.
i asked a similar question after the brooks/brees play....

what was whitner supposed to do? let jackson catch the ball first?
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Dec 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM ]

That was an awesome hit by Whitner!
That would have set the defensive tone if it weren't for the flag. The others posters are right, Goodell is slowly killing a great game!