There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Screen Pass Argument

Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldn't call that excuse BS. The few screens they ran this year they all look terrible.O line never in positon to block.

Timing has to be right between the QB and back. Goodwin is the only OL that I think is underwhelming, as far as getting out wide.
I wouldn't call that excuse BS. The few screens they ran this year they all look terrible.O line never in positon to block.

Okay, as soon as someone with first-hand knowledge says "yeah, they practice it all the time but they just can't do it", then I'll believe it. Otherwise, what it looks like to me is a team that rarely practices it, to wit they've only called a few 14 games into the season, and SHOCKER, they haven't gone too well.

Do you think maybe teams like the Saints and Chiefs might devote a decent chunk of practice time to perfecting screens? Again, it's a play that requires feel and timing, something very hard to do when you don't practice it and then in the heat of a game, just run a single screen as some one-off play Roman decides to try.
what's a screen pass?
Wally, we can only hope.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
IT HAS TO BE A HB SCREEN TO LAMICHEAL, OTHERWISE...

those WR screens are risky and don't work most of the time. Kaep doesn't pump fake and takes a long ass time to throw so there's the interception pick six risk.

GOT DAMMIT.

I've been saying this from the first game with Green Bay. The Niners offense or namely Kaepernick seem to be allergic to throwing the ball on screen passes where the receivers/backs are sitting just beyond the line of scrimmage or on a rollout. These were plays that you would routinely see Joe Montana or Steve Young throw to Roger Craig or Tom Rathman. They are plays that you see Alex run with Kansas City. That's why I wish Kaepernick would take this stuff:

The Tukuafu signing was a signal that we were going to throw a LARGE amount of screen passes

^^ This is truth. The only screen plays that have worked this season is the middle screen. Any screen to the left/right get blown up because the Oline can't get to the outside in time.
Originally posted by Psinex:
I've been saying this from the first game with Green Bay. The Niners offense or namely Kaepernick seem to be allergic to throwing the ball on screen passes where the receivers/backs are sitting just beyond the line of scrimmage or on a rollout. These were plays that you would routinely see Joe Montana or Steve Young throw to Roger Craig or Tom Rathman. They are plays that you see Alex run with Kansas City. That's why I wish Kaepernick would take this stuff:

C'mon, man.. so what? Kaep has some aspects to his game that he needs to work on. So long as we are winning and he isn't a liability, I'll keep smiling.
Originally posted by Psinex:

hahahaha you guys with this narrative are an absolute joy to read.. provides all the comedy i need for the week

1st of all, the play you described isn't a screen pass, that is called a check down my friend

2nd we don't attempt many screens, and as with anything.. if you don't do it often you can't be expected to run it excellently.

the entire kansas city offense is based on screen variations short throws and hope for the best so i would damn sure hope that the chiefs are good at running screens as we've seen andy reid run them for the last decade straight

just so full of comedy..you had your little picture ready to go too lol
Originally posted by pdizo916:
what's a screen pass?

This
Originally posted by thl408:
^^ This is truth. The only screen plays that have worked this season is the middle screen. Any screen to the left/right get blown up because the Oline can't get to the outside in time.

they can't do it because they don't practice it. as much pulling as we require it's basically a huge pull play to either side. they need to shed blocks and get to the 2nd level and that can be done with practice and personnel.

we can't run screens with anthony dixon and then proclaim that it's a lost cause

or call screens at the worst times and then say that's it!

it's an art just like any other play we call.. the screens we've called have been predictable with little chance of success really..
down, distance and situation.
we switch that up just a tad we might see what it could be.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Timing has to be right between the QB and back. Goodwin is the only OL that I think is underwhelming, as far as getting out wide.

True. Could be that certain lineman lets the defensive lineman in too fast & it just screws up the timing. I've been calling for screens all the time. But i really think they just aren't good at it for some reason. Wish they could get it right.
according to some (ones that hate kap), it's because Kap can't toss a ball 3 yards for a screen
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

The play actually has to be called for it to work though, it doesn't just magically occur