Not a member? Register Now!

KNBR should get someone else to interview harbs

Originally posted by Joecool:
49ers Friday on 98.7.

KNBR...if you want Warriors and SF Giants

sooo much warriors talk...

Originally posted by NickSh49:
Incorrect. Born in 1982.

Read the article I posted. Why was no one in the city watching THE SUPER BOWL?

If you want to pretend the fanbase is as strong as it was during the Walsh-Montana-Young era, be my guest. But you're lying to yourself.

There will always be casual fans... a lot of em. The 49ers simply don't have a full bandwagon right now like they used to in the 80's and 90's. That's just a fact.

I'd be careful how you throw the term "bandwagon" around when referring to true Niner fans, the Faithful. Unless you're just here trying to stir things up.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
San Francisco is the 14th biggest city in the US, but was #28th in ratings for the Super Bowl... a game featuring the 49ers.

Not sure how that doesn't strengthen my argument.

again, this is like measuring the ratings of the giants superbowl w/ just the borough of manhattan...meanwhile all the real new york giant fans live in and around in the other boroguhs and out lying areas

if you're from the area you're aware of that..the fan base isn't in the city

i can agree that number is low, but that just lends more credence to how much the city has changed now, its more transient than ever b4

There are two arguments here... I believe SF Giants are kings of the city right now, but we're probably in the middle of a transition. The fact is that the Niners have only been good for two years now and didn't have a marketable face of the franchise until Kaep came around and started kissing his bicep. So let's not pretend that the fanbase didn't fall off a bit during the Erickson/Nolan/Sing years... because it did. There is a bandwagon.... there is ALWAYS a bandwagon.

And then with that, there is no way anyone can sit and tell me that the 49ers fanbase today is now nearly as strong as it was during the golden era. It's not even close. It could get there soon, but there's still a ways to go.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Incorrect. Born in 1982.

Read the article I posted. Why was no one in the city watching THE SUPER BOWL?

If you want to pretend the fanbase is as strong as it was during the Walsh-Montana-Young era, be my guest. But you're lying to yourself.

There will always be casual fans... a lot of em. The 49ers simply don't have a full bandwagon right now like they used to in the 80's and 90's. That's just a fact.

I'd be careful how you throw the term "bandwagon" around when referring to true Niner fans, the Faithful. Unless you're just here trying to stir things up.

There is ALWAYS a bandwagon with any sports team. People like winners. No one likes watching losers. That's just the nature of things.

There will always be hardcore, true fans, and there will always be casual fans. It's the way of the world.

But all of them combined make up a fanbase, whether you like it or not. A team naturally gains more fans by winning and loses fans by losing.
again, this is like measuring the ratings of the giants superbowl w/ just the borough of manhattan...meanwhile all the real new york giant fans live in and around in the other boroguhs and out lying areas

i can agree that number is low, but that just lends more credence to how much the city has changed now, its more transient than ever b4

This. Makes it pretty clear-cut regarding the Niners' fanbase here in the Bay Area.
This post must be from a person born after 1990. The losing years during Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary DID NOT take the shine off the 49ers, especially for the hardcore Faithful fanbase. This true fanbase, which is large and consists of both older and younger fans, has stuck with the team through thick and thin...just like any true fan would. I started pulling for the Niners when I was old enough back in the later '70s coming off their 2-14 years - I stuck with them then and going forward. Then, Walsh entered the picture. The NFL is king, no doubt about it.

yeah i get the sense the very young people in the bay area and those that have now moved into the actual city of SF have all gone nuts over the giants but there is no doubt the bay area is expansive and there are generations of 9ers fans..its huge family traditions dating way way back

this doesn't exist w/ the giants, never has and i doubt it ever will, its a fleeting fan base

The SF Giants have been drawing as good as any team in any sport at since they moved downtown. They've been top 5 in attendance drawing 3 million plus for 8 of the last 13 seasons and have been top 10 every year but 2008 when they were #11. And it's not just people coming from within the City. I've got family, friends and co-workers that venture to AT&T anywhere from 5 to 20 times a year from the North Bay. It might be fleeting someday, but it's an extremely strong fan base.

This. Makes it pretty clear-cut regarding the Niners' fanbase here in the Bay Area.

It does, but are we really going to pretend that the fanbase didn't take a hit during the dark-era? Casual fans do exist. They account for TV ratings, ticket sales, and merchandise demand.

Do you guys REALLY believe the fanbase is as strong as during the golden era? Because it's not... not even close.
There are two arguments here... I believe SF Giants are kings of the city right now, but we're probably in the middle of a transition. The fact is that the Niners have only been good for two years now and didn't have a marketable face of the franchise until Kaep came around and started kissing his bicep. So let's not pretend that the fanbase didn't fall off a bit during the Erickson/Nolan/Sing years... because it did. There is a bandwagon.... there is ALWAYS a bandwagon.

And then with that, there is no way anyone can sit and tell me that the 49ers fanbase today is now nearly as strong as it was during the golden era. It's not even close. It could get there soon, but there's still a ways to go.

i don't disagree its not as strong as the golden years, and yes every fan base has the last in pouring of band wagon fans, its just a matter of the timing of when they jump on, whether its when the early winning starts or at the very end of the party.

but again, giants might rule the city of san francisco but the bay area as a whole football is still king and its the 9ers

generations of families get together to root for the 9ers every sunday across the bay area..that doesn't exist w/ the giants and prob never will
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
This post must be from a person born after 1990. The losing years during Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary DID NOT take the shine off the 49ers, especially for the hardcore Faithful fanbase. This true fanbase, which is large and consists of both older and younger fans, has stuck with the team through thick and thin...just like any true fan would. I started pulling for the Niners when I was old enough back in the later '70s coming off their 2-14 years - I stuck with them then and going forward. Then, Walsh entered the picture. The NFL is king, no doubt about it.

yeah i get the sense the very young people in the bay area and those that have now moved into the actual city of SF have all gone nuts over the giants but there is no doubt the bay area is expansive and there are generations of 9ers fans..its huge family traditions dating way way back

this doesn't exist w/ the giants, never has and i doubt it ever will, its a fleeting fan base

The SF Giants have been drawing as good as any team in any sport at since they moved downtown. They've been top 5 in attendance drawing 3 million plus for 8 of the last 13 seasons and have been top 10 every year but 2008 when they were #11. And it's not just people coming from within the City. I've got family, friends and co-workers that venture to AT&T anywhere from 5 to 20 times a year from the North Bay. It might be fleeting someday, but it's an extremely strong fan base.

Two World Series rings, a bunch of marketable faces, and a nice downtown stadium will do that.

And again, I'm not even a baseball fan anymore. I was when I was younger tho...
There is ALWAYS a bandwagon with any sports team. People like winners. No one likes watching losers. That's just the nature of things.

There will always be hardcore, true fans, and there will always be casual fans. It's the way of the world.

But all of them combined make up a fanbase, whether you like it or not. A team naturally gains more fans by winning and loses fans by losing.

Wow, really? Thank you for breaking all that down for me and explaining, "...the way of the world". I'm not arguing that bandwagon fans don't exist - of course they do for any and all teams. I'm talking about the hardcore fans of the Niners and how big that group is and how unwavering it is...a group that's been around before I was born and I'm in my mid-'40s.

Wow, really? Thank you for breaking all that down for me and explaining, "...the way of the world". I'm not arguing that bandwagon fans don't exist - of course they do for any and all teams. I'm talking about the hardcore fans of the Niners and how big that group is and how unwavering it is...a group that's been around before I was born and I'm in my mid-'40s.

I understand that, but casual fans also play into the overall popularity of a sports team. And in that sense, I believe there is enough evidence to support that the SF Giants have the edge in that department as of right now. But it's declining... again, rings always help.
I understand that, but casual fans also play into the overall popularity of a sports team. And in that sense, I believe there is enough evidence to support that the SF Giants have the edge in that department as of right now. But it's declining... again, rings always help.

for an example, i currently reside in Philadelphia

this is a football town

however, like the giants...the phillies got red hot for a few years and it was rabid phillies fever, they were topping all baseball teams in attendance and killing it.

then the party ended...the drop off began and with it the fervor died, the seats emptied and that magic was gone

all thru that, the eagles were mediocre to pathetic yet had sold out every game.

the 9ers have sold out every game for yrs as well during the down years i believe

football is king in the bay area just as its king almost everywhere except maybe st louis

this is a football town

however, like the giants...the phillies got red hot for a few years and it was rabid phillies fever, they were topping all baseball teams in attendance and killing it.

then the party ended...the drop off began and with it the fervor died, the seats emptied and that magic was gone

all thru that, the eagles were mediocre to pathetic yet had sold out every game.

the 9ers have sold out every game for yrs as well during the down years i believe

football is king in the bay area just as its king almost everywhere except maybe st louis

the 49ers have had great attendance in that dump of a stadium for years, just imagine how it will be in Levi's. Giants do great in AT&T and did horrible at the stick

this is a football town

Agree, I just don't think the party is over for the Giants just yet.

And there were indeed some empty seats during the Erickson/Nolan/Singletary eras. Let's not pretend the stadium was consistent-legit-packed sellout during the dark years. It was never like in Tampa or Jacksonville, but we're not like Lambeau either. I was at some games during the Nolan era with some significant patches of orange seats around me.

Hell... the FAITHFUL marketing campaign was started by the team to try to keep fans around. It's not like that word sprung organically. It was a response to the team losing and casual-ish fans losing interest and not buying tickets/merch.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

this is a football town

the 49ers have had great attendance in that dump of a stadium for years, just imagine how it will be in Levi's. Giants do great in AT&T and did horrible at the stick

football is so unique, no other sport can generations of a family or a close knit friends group get together and bond and root for their team like football

its once a week its on sunday and its fckin epic..nothing like it

and its been happening for generations in the bay area, 9ers RULE the bay

as for the city, its just out of towners now anyway, so different than even just 15yrs ago.....