There are 180 users in the forums

Red 80. Redddd 80!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mattster03:
Does Colin also say "Red!" instead of the classic "hut" or "hike"?

Good example of his snap count.

Link...
[ Edited by VDSF on Dec 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
This is something Alex in his tenure with the 49ers would yell at the line. Colin now does the same. What exactly does this mean pre-snap? Or is it nothing? Any ideas? Have always been curious about this. (even though it's a small thing)

players are coaches change the calls all the time so when you are watching the game you really have no idea what it means

so many mixed answers in this thread lol. Jonnydel might know

Red 80 specifically is just his count....its for pacing and for the opportunity to hard count. It also can give our side a jump if they know how many RED 80's there will be before a RED HUT which along with a tap on the rump is often when the center is told to hike the ball.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
It's better than yelling OMAHA a million times

Omaha means the QB is calling an audible on the WR's routes or route.

Actually Omaha means ONE, meaning the snap will come on one. Dungy clarified this on his pregame on SNF on NBC one night

I guess it matters when they call Omaha. From what I've read, Omaha is a audible for a receivers route. See Kaepernick in this past game against the Bucs.
Red 80 I like it

Its almost like my ebay name since 2003 and my handle on this thread ! LOL

RED RAZER RED RAZER 45

TOUCHDOWN !
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Denver/Omaha .....heard Steve use that one a few times ...or else ..THUNDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the old school WCO, Denver/Omaha and thunder were base plays. In base set, Denver had both the flanker and split end run slants and the TE settle over the middle. Omaha had the WR run out routes with the TE settling over the middle. Thunder had the WRs run hooks and TE sit in the middle. Dragon was another big niner play it was slants by both WR, however the TE ran a flat route creating slant-flat concept.

I would be willing to bet tho when we heard steve yelling them they were dummies, cause by the time steve was qb the WCO and all it's verbiage was pretty well circulated around the league.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM ]
  • Red80
  • Veteran
Yeah I was wondering what that meant?
Originally posted by Red80:
Yeah I was wondering what that meant?

lol
I always thought it was ironic that Jeff Garcia had the deepest and grittiest sounding cadence.
Hilarious me and my brother used the same thing playing backyard football 100 years ago. When he would say red 80 I knew to run a streak blue 20 (Barry sanders) would be a handoff ect.... We always did little codes that gave us a advantage.

But like others have said it's a cadence and pays homage to the GOAT. It's for timing.

Like in movies it's "blue 32"
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Denver/Omaha .....heard Steve use that one a few times ...or else ..THUNDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the old school WCO, Denver/Omaha and thunder were base plays. In base set, Denver had both the flanker and split end run slants and the TE settle over the middle. Omaha had the WR run out routes with the TE settling over the middle. Thunder had the WRs run hooks and TE sit in the middle. Dragon was another big niner play it was slants by both WR, however the TE ran a flat route creating slant-flat concept.

I would be willing to bet tho when we heard steve yelling them they were dummies, cause by the time steve was qb the WCO and all it's verbiage was pretty well circulated around the league.

^ mike shanahan

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
^ mike shanahan

Yeah i made the mistake of saying old school WCO, inferring Walsh Montana 80's version. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that is been 2 decades since shanahan . I don't think it will let me link it cause I'm on my phone but those that would like to see it google "1994 49ers pass install" its really good stuff if ur into X's and O's.
When my son heard Kap yelling this at the line, he thought he was saying "Heeeeey Laaadies!. So now that is all I hear.
When they play Seattle they should put in a taunt for Sherman -- "Red Rover Red Rover send Dick Sherman right over"
kill kill kill.........time out
Originally posted by VDSF:
Originally posted by mattster03:
Does Colin also say "Red!" instead of the classic "hut" or "hike"?

Good example of his snap count.

Link...

I clicked your link and ended up here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4
Share 49ersWebzone