There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greatest Niners by position

More f'ers who think football began in freak'n 1995.

Bryant Young...oh, lord.

I hate to break it to you newbs, but Young wasn't a Top 10 all-time 49er defensive lineman.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TruthSpeaker:

Bryant Young...oh, lord.

I hate to break it to you newbs, but Young wasn't a Top 10 all-time 49er defensive lineman.
cedrick hardman was though

Bryant Young...oh, lord.

There have been some great ones, but can you absolutely name 10 better than Bryant Young?

Bryant Young...oh, lord.

There have been some great ones, but can you absolutely name 10 better than Bryant Young?
BY not a top 10 DL of all time for the 49ers? They guy was THE man at stopping the run. Bet they wished they had him to stop Lynch.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran

Bryant Young...oh, lord.

Says the man with 7 posts...

Bryant Young was a SAVAGE!
Originally posted by WWFGD:

Bryant Young...oh, lord.

Says the man with 7 posts...

Bryant Young was a SAVAGE!

100% agree! and he came back from a nasty leg injury to be a major cog in the middle for several years. He didn't have great sack numbers and that is why people overlook him
Weird statement about BYoung. He was a wrecker.

He would have been HoFer candidate except for the injury. I'm trying to think of which 10 would be better, and I only go up 4-5....maybe?

Dean, Hardman, Hart, Kruger I guess....Carter was good for 1-2 years....Stubblefield 1-2 years...I'm running out of names.
At this stage of Aldon Smith's career I'd put Charles Haley as #1. Using the term edge rusher I'd put Fred Dean in the conversation also. Those two won Super Bowls with pressure that changed games. It's not a long shot to say that keeping Charles Haley may have won us a couple more Super Bowls. I know all the stories that he was borderline crazy, but Dallas managed him and he always produced on game day. Losing Deion, Ricky Watters and Haley were moves that closed out Camelot.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
My team:

Young
Rice
TO
Rathman
Vernon
Waters
'94 oline

Justin Smith
Bryant Young
Dana Stubblefield
Aldon Smith
Julian Peterson
Patrick Willis
Ken Norton Jr.
Navarro Bowman
Deoin Sanders
Eric Davis
Merton Hanks
Tim McDonald

Brian Jennings
Andy Lee
Jeff Wilkins
no mention of jimmy johnson hall of famer, shut down corner even before the word was invented,, disgracefull
As I said -- MY team. The players I watched play.

Never saw Jimmy Johnson play, foo.

my comments to your team were based upon the original title of this thread. the title made no mention of a certain era
Waters?

Ricky Waters?!!?

Over Gore? (in your viewing time)

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Weird statement about BYoung. He was a wrecker.

He would have been HoFer candidate except for the injury. I'm trying to think of which 10 would be better, and I only go up 4-5....maybe?

Dean, Hardman, Hart, Kruger I guess....Carter was good for 1-2 years....Stubblefield 1-2 years...I'm running out of names.

Carter was good for 1-2 years? Try like 8. Kevin f*gan. Pierce Holt. Justin Smith. Dwaine Board, in addition to the ones you listed.

Young wasn't really that good against the run. Stubblefield was the key cog in the run defense inside those years, and once he left, the run D turned to crap. Young WAS a really good interior pass rusher...then he snapped his leg in two with the compound fracture against the Giants and was only serviceable after he returned.
Roger Craig, one of my favorite 9ers of all time but he saw 6-7 man boxes his entire career. Gore has run through walls his entire career. His 2006 season should be in the conversation of best seasons by an RB. 2180 yards from scrimmage, 1695 rushing. Our WR were Arnaz Battle, Antonio Bryant and Bryan Gilmore. Unreal.

BY is top 3, non-negotiable.

I always thought Norton was better against us than when he played for us...
LOL...BY "top 3." Unbelievable. Just f'n unbelievable.

A 290 pound finesse DT who, after breaking his leg, made maybe 20 tackles per season, was single teamed every down, and was engulfed in the running game in general and contributed maybe 3 sacks per season...Top 3 all-time 49ers defensive lineman.

Roger Craig was running through walls. Take a look at his highlight reels sometime. He was a violent power runner, he wasn't running through large holes like, say Terrell Davis.
[ Edited by 49ersScoutHistorian on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:26 PM ]