There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greatest Niners by position

Originally posted by midrdan:
I am seeing a lot of people's "all time" RB lists and none have included Perry. Crazy. When the guy retired he was second on the all time rushing list to Jim Brown. In an era when teams predominantly ran the ball. That's like Chicago Bears fans voting Matt Forte the best RB of all time when Walter Payton is sitting there. I realize he played a long time ago, but the fact that Perry's team records stood for several decades despite all of the talented RBs we have had through the years shows how dominant he was at his position.

Yeah, that's my fault for not including him in the original discussion.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
mid forgot a kicker and punter. we have had some good kickers so not sure there. i assume lee is the punter , however steve spurrier was actually pretty good back in the day!
Originally posted by cciowa:
mid forgot a kicker and punter. we have had some good kickers so not sure there. i assume lee is the punter , however steve spurrier was actually pretty good back in the day!
Just was going to ask about Jose Cortez
now that is a good list in my opinion. i would quibble a titch about putting forest blue in at center but that it also a little upset that there is no love for jason webster but thats life

I love that we can put together a roster of truly great players and leave many off of the list. Imagine putting this list together if you're a Jaguars fan ...

My kicker is Ray Wersching and my punter is Andy Lee.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
now that is a good list in my opinion. i would quibble a titch about putting forest blue in at center but that it also a little upset that there is no love for jason webster but thats life

I love that we can put together a roster of truly great players and leave many off of the list. Imagine putting this list together if you're a Jaguars fan ...

good picks. i appreciate good fans like you who are well aware that the niners just did not come along in 1980

good picks. i appreciate good fans like you who are well aware that the niners just did not come along in 1980

Curmudgeon!
Offense:

QB - Montana
WR1 - Rice
WR2 - Solomon
RB1 - Perry
RB2 - Craig
FB - Rathman
TE - Davis
T - St. Clair
T - Barton
C - Cross
G - Sapolu
G - McIntyre

Defense

DL - B. Young
DL - C. Hardman
DL - F. Dean
DL - T. Hart

LB - Wilcox
LB - Willis
LB - Haley
LB - A. Smith (yes, he's that good)

CB1 - J. Johnson
CB2 - E. Wright
S - R. Lott
S - M. Hanks

Thanks. The irony is that I came along in 1978, so the 1980s team was my team growing up. But my grandfather was a season ticket holder going back to the 1960s and he really educated me about the history of the team. I was able to do an internship with the front office while in college and got my hands on a bunch of old game and practice tapes. Our team was pretty awesome in the early 70s. I think we lost two straight NFC Championship Games to Dallas ... it puts the 1981 season in perspective.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Thanks. The irony is that I came along in 1978, so the 1980s team was my team growing up. But my grandfather was a season ticket holder going back to the 1960s and he really educated me about the history of the team. I was able to do an internship with the front office while in college and got my hands on a bunch of old game and practice tapes. Our team was pretty awesome in the early 70s. I think we lost two straight NFC Championship Games to Dallas ... it puts the 1981 season in perspective.
and you came along just when they fired monte clark and got rid of cedrick, plunkett , gene washington etc but thats ok because our replacements were oj and thomas hollywood henderson , they were damn good under nolan but you are right, they could never get over the hump, including the infamous blow a lead in the 4th vs dallas
double post

Lol now the original post is gone.

Awesome.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
norton was very bad for us in about the first six or 7 games he played for us in his first year. his big claim to fame was that he busted richard dents leg vs kansas city
QB: AJ Jenkins
RB: AJ Jenkins
FB: AJ Jenkins
TE: AJ Jenkins
WR: AJ Jenkins
OL: AJ Jenkins
Rapper: AJ Jenkins
Originally posted by Karma:
I am seeing a lot of people's "all time" RB lists and none have included Perry. Crazy. When the guy retired he was second on the all time rushing list to Jim Brown. In an era when teams predominantly ran the ball. That's like Chicago Bears fans voting Matt Forte the best RB of all time when Walter Payton is sitting there. I realize he played a long time ago, but the fact that Perry's team records stood for several decades despite all of the talented RBs we have had through the years shows how dominant he was at his position.

Yeah, that's my fault for not including him in the original discussion.

I was thinking the same thing. He did include Hugh McElhenny.

The only reason I don't think Watters is a part of this dicussion is because he went to the Eagles. If he had stayed here, I honestly believe he'd have trumped everyone.
Jeff Garcia = GOAT
Originally posted by HoRneR:
QB: AJ Jenkins
RB: AJ Jenkins
FB: AJ Jenkins
TE: AJ Jenkins
WR: AJ Jenkins
OL: AJ Jenkins
Rapper: AJ Jenkins

lol don't forget long snapper:aj Jenkins