There are 239 users in the forums

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok, I'm sorry for the long post but there's no other way to show this than with the multitude of pictures. Roman is a good OC, I'll show you how he saw what Tampa was doing and set up VD's huge play.

Early in the game the Buc's showed they wanted to double team Boldin - meaning, they have told their guys to pay special attention to where he goes.

After we ran some inside power plays, Tampa started slanting their line in(I"ll show this later). So, Roman ran a few outside plays sprinkled in. In counter, Tampa started to run a cover 2 zone to keep their outside DB's closer to the LOS, also, Kaep's running forced tampa to stop running man coverage as much. Here you see how Tampa is running a 2-zone D.

Here, Roman went into an unbalanced TE formation. He had ran a couple outisde runs out of the 2 TE formation. You see the safeties move to a 2 deep loock with the corners playing zone. 2-zone D

Crabtree is at the top of the screen on this play with Boldin at the bottom, again a 2 TE look with Tampa going to a 2 deep safety D.

After seeing that, Roman brings Miller in, motions him out to a 2 TE look and runs a corner/DIG combo with Boldin and Crabtree at the top with Davis running and out/in Post.

Davis gets the safety to turn his hips out before breaking in. At the top you see Goldson jumps on Boldin's corner route because of the 2 zone. This leaves a void for Davis to run to

Vernon is open but the pressure from Tampa's D(Staley got beat) forces Kaep to have to throw the ball while running forward to it's barely incomplete to Davis.

On the next drive, we again go with a 2 TE set. This time we line Miller up outside Staley to help chip. We get the 2 deep safety look again, this time Baron creeps down just a little more in case of the run.

We run PA to hold the safety up just a little bit. Boldin's gonna run a deep curl route to bring Goldson down.

Goldson bites on the Deep curl vacating his 2 deep zone. Davis has a great angle on the backside safety who has no chance of running with him.

You see here how Roman used all the attention Tampa was giving Boldin to set up this long TD to Davis.

That is excellent OC stuff right there!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Gerald McCoy abused Adam Snyder so much, I'm surprised Snyder hasn't accused McCoy of bullying yet. It was disgusting to watch all game long.

I was not happy when Snyder was resigned! Thought Looney or Kilgore might be better than Snyder at this point in his career.

Agree I thought that Snyder was out of my nightmare's for good finally. But he's back, and I think it's time to give the other two a shot since we might not have a center next season.

Any thoughts as to why HaRoman have Snyder in the line and not Looney or Kilgore? Is it an "experience" thing or are Kilgore and Looney that poor?
Gerald McCoy abused Adam Snyder so much, I'm surprised Snyder hasn't accused McCoy of bullying yet. It was disgusting to watch all game long.

To be fair, McCoy has abused the vast majority of offensive linemen he's faced this season, he's simply been a one-man wrecking crew.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Any thoughts as to why HaRoman have Snyder in the line and not Looney or Kilgore? Is it an "experience" thing or are Kilgore and Looney that poor?

Snyder is a trusted veteran, those two are youngsters. You know how they roll.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM ]
gotta take my dad to a dr. appt. after that I'll be back to give some more breakdowns.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Ok, I'm sorry for the long post but there's no other way to show this than with the multitude of pictures. Roman is a good OC, I'll show you how he saw what Tampa was doing and set up VD's huge play.

Early in the game the Buc's showed they wanted to double team Boldin - meaning, they have told their guys to pay special attention to where he goes.

After we ran some inside power plays, Tampa started slanting their line in(I"ll show this later). So, Roman ran a few outside plays sprinkled in. In counter, Tampa started to run a cover 2 zone to keep their outside DB's closer to the LOS, also, Kaep's running forced tampa to stop running man coverage as much. Here you see how Tampa is running a 2-zone D.

Here, Roman went into an unbalanced TE formation. He had ran a couple outisde runs out of the 2 TE formation. You see the safeties move to a 2 deep loock with the corners playing zone. 2-zone D

Crabtree is at the top of the screen on this play with Boldin at the bottom, again a 2 TE look with Tampa going to a 2 deep safety D.

After seeing that, Roman brings Miller in, motions him out to a 2 TE look and runs a corner/DIG combo with Boldin and Crabtree at the top with Davis running and out/in Post.

Davis gets the safety to turn his hips out before breaking in. At the top you see Goldson jumps on Boldin's corner route because of the 2 zone. This leaves a void for Davis to run to

Vernon is open but the pressure from Tampa's D(Staley got beat) forces Kaep to have to throw the ball while running forward to it's barely incomplete to Davis.

On the next drive, we again go with a 2 TE set. This time we line Miller up outside Staley to help chip. We get the 2 deep safety look again, this time Baron creeps down just a little more in case of the run.

We run PA to hold the safety up just a little bit. Boldin's gonna run a deep curl route to bring Goldson down.

Goldson bites on the Deep curl vacating his 2 deep zone. Davis has a great angle on the backside safety who has no chance of running with him.

You see here how Roman used all the attention Tampa was giving Boldin to set up this long TD to Davis.

Nicely demonstrated. Or in laymen's terms:
We run Crabtree on a lazy 2 yard route along the left sideline, Boldin along the same sideline to draw a CB/S knowing full well that we're playing Goldson who has a tendency to jump and bite on double moves (cheat inside) and use your 4.3 TE to BLOW off the LOS to beat his S in isolation.

We could have run double-moves all day long on Goldson. I'm REALLY excited we finally used our speed mismatch and actually threw a couple bombs. If the pocket held better, this was an easy TD.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM ]
J.D. - your last post was great. Showing multiple plays out of similar formations to exploit tendencies is excellent. Greg Roman owes you a portion of his salary.

As the playoffs draw near, I was wondering if you could rehash some tape of the first Seattle game and the Carolina game. Our offense looked pathetic in both contests and I am curious how much of that is due to play calling vs. execution. And, with Seattle, everyone thinks Seattle's DBs hold all the way down the field. Does the tape support that?
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Or something that should be entirely expected of an NFL offensive coordinator with the weapons at his disposal that Roman has, no? If a team is going to sell out to double cover a receiver, it doesn't really require much imagination to go where their coverage isn't. I saw some plays that were very well run, and then I saw some plays that simply went nowhere. They had a successful slant play early on.....which they basically went away from for the rest of the game. If anything they could have taken more deep shots down the field but ceased to do so after Crabtree was overthrown.

Like I said last week, this team has a lot of weapons, this is not an offense that requires some special offensive brilliance. Boldin, Crabtree, VD, Gore, that's more than most teams can handle. What I'm looking for is continual progress in the passing game. The Tampa Bay game was a good step forward, especially seeing them spread out the defense at times. I'd like to see more of that against an Atlanta defense that has been less than stellar. That would be the game to put 4 or 5 guys out wide and get some rhythm going in the passing game.

The more weapons they utilize, the more stuff teams have to think about. I think this would be an excellent week to get McDonald involved in the offense if he's healthy, or to even give Patton some looks. William Moore has been solid at safety but DeCoud has been lit up on the regular. Atlanta's linebackers have also been terrible in coverage, kind of the opposite of Tampa Bay's. This really would be the week to experiment a bit, call some more screen plays than usual. some halfback passes, plays to McDonald...etc.

I'd love to see some balanced, rhythmic offense that repeatedly puts the ball into the endzone. Atlanta's biggest pass rushing threat is Osi Umenyiora, beyond that they have some space-fillers so Kaepernick should have plenty of time to decide where to go with the football.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Or something that should be entirely expected of an NFL offensive coordinator with the weapons at his disposal that Roman has, no? If a team is going to sell out to double cover a receiver, it doesn't really require much imagination to go where their coverage isn't. I saw some plays that were very well run, and then I saw some plays that simply went nowhere. They had a successful slant play early on.....which they basically went away from for the rest of the game. If anything they could have taken more deep shots down the field but ceased to do so after Crabtree was overthrown.

Like I said last week, this team has a lot of weapons, this is not an offense that requires some special offensive brilliance. Boldin, Crabtree, VD, Gore, that's more than most teams can handle. What I'm looking for is continual progress in the passing game. The Tampa Bay game was a good step forward, especially seeing them spread out the defense at times. I'd like to see more of that against an Atlanta defense that has been less than stellar. That would be the game to put 4 or 5 guys out wide and get some rhythm going in the passing game.

The more weapons they utilize, the more stuff teams have to think about. I think this would be an excellent week to get McDonald involved in the offense if he's healthy, or to even give Patton some looks. William Moore has been solid at safety but DeCoud has been lit up on the regular. Atlanta's linebackers have also been terrible in coverage, kind of the opposite of Tampa Bay's. This really would be the week to experiment a bit, call some more screen plays than usual. some halfback passes, plays to McDonald...etc.

I'd love to see some balanced, rhythmic offense that repeatedly puts the ball into the endzone. Atlanta's biggest pass rushing threat is Osi Umenyiora, beyond that they have some space-fillers so Kaepernick should have plenty of time to decide where to go with the football.

Unless they line up Umenyiora across from Snyder then it could get dicey. Hopefully Iupati will be back and we could see some more running by Hunter and James. I do like your suggestion about getting McDonald more plays and it would be nice to see Patton as well.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Unless they line up Umenyiora across from Snyder then it could get dicey. Hopefully Iupati will be back and we could see some more running by Hunter and James. I do like your suggestion about getting McDonald more plays and it would be nice to see Patton as well.

I know Snyder didn't play well against Tampa Bay, but very few offensive linemen have played well against McCoy. It didn't take Tampa Bay long to figure out who the weak link on the OL was. It'd be nice to have Iupati back but realistically, Umenyiora is the guy teams have been focusing on stopping. Nobody else on their team has more than 4 sacks and they've generated pressure very inconsistently. If Kaepernick doesn't have a largely clean pocket to throw from on Monday night, then the OL is messing up big time.

As far as McDonald, absolutely, especially with Miller going down. Atlanta's linebackers are weak in coverage, pretty much all across the board. Free Safety Thomas DeCoud has been repeatedly victimized this season. He's coming off a concussion as well. William Moore has been solid at strong safety, very athletic player but not a guy who can keep up with VD. If the 49ers throw McDonald out there, I can see him being a huge mismatch for the Falcons defense. Manningham or Patton could also make some plays as both Robert Alford and Robert McClain have struggled in coverage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM ]

• thl408
Thanks again Jonnydel for creating this thread. Should be a NT tradition.

SEA went predominantly zone coverage. TB went mostly man coverage. This explains why Kap was able to scramble so many times for positive yards. Roman used different concepts in the passing game to combat man coverage. This includes the mesh and rub concepts as well as a lot of criss-crossing and bunch formations. Breakdowns of the mesh and rub concepts later. Below is a look at the routes being run. We can use this to identify the concepts being used on each pass play.

Yellow routes are completions. Orange routes are incompletions. Not shown are plays where Kap scrambled for yards. Not shown are penalties that resulted in no play.

1st Quarter:

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter:

4th Quarter:
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
thanks guys!
Woo hoo, Greg Roman doesn't suck after all!

In fairness, Gerald McCoy has abused a lot of opposing linemen this year. Dude is quickly becoming an absolute monster.
thl408! Thank you SO much for showing these as it makes a great starting point to work from...super easy to see the full route designs to get the AR1's the ball. You can see all the flow to one side to get the defense occupied, the go routes and routes run under them, the clear outs, misdirections, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone