There are 212 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I almost forgot to break down the Boldin run!

Here we start out with an empty backfield with James lined up out right. We motion Boldin into the backfield, making it look like we're isolating Crabtree 1-1 on the outside.

As you see, this sets up a big inside run advantage as there's only one LB in the middle of the field. We motion James fast giving the appearance of a sweep(highly likely since we brought one defender out of the outside area)

All of the James run action brings a lot of attention from the D. You see 4 players bite on the play. This sets up a numbers advantage for us on the backside.

From the endzone I've highlighted the blocking scheme. This is a DE trap play. They combo down on the DT while the pulling Guard is responsible to kick out the DE with Davis leading up the hole onto the LB.

You see how the James run action holds the LB from being aggressive and stepping up into the hole. Snyder has a good angle on the DE, he doesn't even need to blow the guy up, he just needs to wall off the defender from the play.

Instead, Snyder totally whiffs on his block.....

You see how Snyder has whiffed and how good of blocking angles both VD and AD have on the LB's

I've highlighted the goal line with the purple line at the bottom of the screen. If Snyder makes that block, Boldin walks in for a TD as the safety on that side would've had to be a superhero to make a tackle on Boldin from his angle.

I might have been the only person that liked this play when I saw it real time. You could totally see Snyder miss his block and that's what kept Boldin out of the endzone.
There is no AR on this play, which is why Crabs was upset he didn't get the target. Prior to the snap, all the WRs have an equal chance of getting targeted. Like all PS plays, this PS play is designed to get 'someone' open. That someone depends on how the defensive coverage plays out. Here, the defense dictated Crabs to be open. If the TB defensive coaches are on point, they will discuss this play on the sidelines after the drive is over. Mentioning that a blown coverage occurred and to straighten out their assignments should the 49ers line up like this again. If this play is ran again later, it could be Boldin that is open (or VD) and Crabs who is covered. Or the 49ers might call this play when TB calls zone coverage and no one is open.

Given that it appears that CK is looking to Boldin and only Boldin all the way, one could make an argument it was a designed AR1 to Boldin (you can't totally rule it out)...BUT, I agree with thl408 here overall...given Crabtree's reaction one would HAVE to think CK either blew Crabtree as the AR1 on that design or this certainly was a PS play and CK flat out missed the obvious, best option here. Either way, ARG!!!
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Thanks for the concern Thl, my dad is doing much better today. Not to air everything out there, but, he was diagnosed with an inoperable, terminal brain tumor recently. His first doctor said they were going to stop treatment because they thought the chemo was breaking down his body so fast that it was going to kill him before the cancer did. Which is why I took a leave from work and have been caring for him the past week or so with not much more than my laptop(without a mouse btw!!!!) to keep me company. This is why I've had so much time to break down film as my dad has trying to recover his strength and sleeps for long periods of the day. Thankfully, we got a better prognosis from a 2nd opinion today who has seen improvement in his health and wants to continue treatment. So, that's encouraging.

From the football side, I mean, the QB has to determine pre-snap what possible coverage he's going to see based off of alignment and safety look to determine his 1st and 2nd reads(which is why I think we have Kaep hard count so much to try and get a coverage look), from there, post-snap, see if the coverage has held to what it showed or has shifted, knowing also from his pre-snap read of leverage where, if the coverage did change, what are now his 3rd and 4th reads to the check down read.

I guess that's what I'm meaning. That, he has to understand his coverage read, to make his progression read. If that makes sense.

Went through the same thing with my pops a year ago, you won't regret a minute spent with him, no matter how difficult, which it will be.

And fecking eh, beautiful job with the film, I am a better fan after going through your threads.

Cheers, Good Luck.

M.
Here is the play where Boldin made the ridiculous one hand scoop catch. Perhaps more remembered for Crabs being open over the middle.

3rd Quarter - 3rd & 4
49ers: Rub concept out of bunch formation (man coverage buster)
TB: Cover 1 man

The 49ers use a bunch formation to allow a clean release from the WRs in the bunch (VD, Boldin, Crabs). In theory, this playcall will work against this coverage.

Below: The patterns the 49ers will run.

Below: TB's coverage. I placed a ? on top of two DBs and one LB (near line of scrimmage) because I am unclear what their assignment is supposed to be. That LB with the ? and Goldson (man coverage on Gore) will fake a blitz,. I assume it's man coverage based on the actions of the CB at the bottom of the screen covering Ham. He will turn and run with Ham, suggesting man coverage.

Below: The two DBs with the ?s on them are now both looking at VD. Boldin is in a physical contest with the CB. Crabs...

Below: Same moment in time as pic above. The LB that faked a blitz has removed himself from any chance of defending a throwing lane over the middle.

The play: Stacking and bunching WRs coupled with criss crossing (rub) against man coverage forces the defense to be perfect with their assignments. Or else blown coverage is created. 49ers still converted the 3rd down, but perhaps more could have been had. I think the fake blitz caused Kap to hurry his decision.

TB also used this sort of stacking/bunching, on offense, on their first 3rd down of the game which they failed to convert on. On that play (shown below), there was also confusion as to who covered who (between Brock and Whitner). (Post #144 goes into this play)

Am I the only one not seeing the pics on thl408's posts? I see jonny's just fine.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Am I the only one not seeing the pics on thl408's posts? I see jonny's just fine.
I see them all the time.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Given that it appears that CK is looking to Boldin and only Boldin all the way, one could make an argument it was a designed AR1 to Boldin (you can't totally rule it out)...BUT, I agree with thl408 here overall...given Crabtree's reaction one would HAVE to think CK either blew Crabtree as the AR1 on that design or this certainly was a PS play and CK flat out missed the obvious, best option here. Either way, ARG!!!

it happens.

he'll get it corrected.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

it happens.

he'll get it corrected.

I sure hope so!
I sure hope so!

we will.
we tend to deal with too many absolutes.
instead of looking at the entire picture.
there are some plays that he's going to read correctly, some plays he's going to just make a way out of no way. some plays where he makes one decision and it works but there might have been a slightly better option and there are some plays he's just going to flat out miss.

and that applies to even the BEST qb's in the nfl.

if gore doesn't break a run, or if crab or boldin drop a pass we don't immediately say "wow they cannot do this or that"
but that's the case with kap just slow down.. some of us need to.

criticism is fine, we're going over film with a fine tooth which is excellent
you break down anyone's tape there's going to be good and there's going to be bad so i think we have to get some fans to understand this and not believe the sky is falling because he didn't see in real time what we see in still images..

what we know to be true is that nobody works harder than him, and this is coming from his teammates not me or outside sources.

so going forward we will see better and better play.. hasn't his play been arching upwards? and it will continue.. we're seeing him at his genesis, and judging him like he's a 10 year vet. but that speaks to the potential that this guy has..

he damn near won a super bowl winging it...

and with as many injuries to his side of the ball he's face along with the criticism we're 10-4 and on track to make the run of a lifetime again.

demand more, demand him to get better yes.
don't throw him under the bus if a play doesn't work or he doesn't execute..and trust because of his work ethic that he will see the same things we're seeing and improve them.
Can you guys please explain why the hell did we sucked sooo bad on defense lastweek when Tampa Bay went with the Hurry-up no huddle offense? Was it coverage breakdown? Or were the CBs playing too soft and giving too much cushion or what? The two series the Buccs went on hurry-up offense, they scored easily, I mean it was like a walk in the park. I was surprised they didn't do it more often. That was definitely our weakness on lastweek's game. Hopefully the team adjust to it.
Dp.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Dec 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGod:
I might have been the only person that liked this play when I saw it real time. You could totally see Snyder miss his block and that's what kept Boldin out of the endzone.

Number 27 of Tampa would have met boldin near the hole. If boldin got by him, then it would have been a TD.
Originally posted by NinerGod:

I am not so enamored with this play in the red zone. It's essentially a slow developing play in the backfield. Using a ball carrier who is not used to facing 280lb defensive tackles. Risky. The fake to James is the wrong kind of fake, in my opinion. The fake is a run. So, it's not a fake. The real play is a run. He fakes to the misdirected side of the field, but his action may keep defenders at the real point of attack hovering at the line, instead of dropping back. wouldn't you say Johnny? Would a qb drop or quick pump get players off the line better? not sure. Also, this play seems like its not overly practiced by us. In critical red zone situations, does it help to run plays that we have practiced frequently? I think this is the kind of gadgetry that we have seen often before, instead of say a tight end delay or swing pass to frank on a vacated side of the field. It's a little mystifying honestly.

The one bright spot was vernons block on 54. That was pro.
The plays diagrammed on post #274 was a Crabtree read all the way. He was WIDE open. There wasn't anyone within 10 yards of him.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by xela510:
Can you do an analysis on this play?
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000298154/Anquan-Boldin-one-handed-grab

Analysis: BEAST!

boldin beast. kaep missed a WIDE open Crabtree. instead of tossing the football at the defense, Crabtree should have threw it at kaepernicks face.

Yea it's amazing that Crabtree has never dropped a pass ever in his career. Truly amazing.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Yea it's amazing that Crabtree has never dropped a pass ever in his career. Truly amazing.

are you joking?
i turned my sarcasm meter off for the night
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home