LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks GORO, and everyone. It's not so much about educate, it's about taking what we see on Sundays and putting it in super slow-mo so we can all view it objectively. Like NC mentioned, watch it with our brain in this thread after we finish watching it with our heart on Sunday. I post the breakdowns to invite everyone with their input. I hope that the only 'arguments' we have here are "that was cover 2", "no it wasn't, that was cover 4".

Jonnydel called it (SEA film thread) when scouting TB mentioning they will be throwing to Wright, and that the TB safties love to move around to confuse QBs, and that McCoy lines up everywhere. Looking forward to ATL's scouting report when it comes. But REALLY looking forward to the wild card round and that scouting report.

I'm working on the ATL scouting right now, been fairly busy the last day or so. I've made it through last years NFCG, and a couple of ATL's recent games. I'm now going to their games against Carolina to see if they change vs a mobile QB. I'll have a lot of detailed stuff for that hopefully tomorrow as I'll have a pretty free slate.

Let me add my thanks and kudos for all the great analysis and discussion. Fun to read and it provides terrific stuff to talk about. Thanks.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Thanks GORO, and everyone. It's not so much about educate, it's about taking what we see on Sundays and putting it in super slow-mo so we can all view it objectively. Like NC mentioned, watch it with our brain in this thread after we finish watching it with our heart on Sunday. I post the breakdowns to invite everyone with their input. I hope that the only 'arguments' we have here are "that was cover 2", "no it wasn't, that was cover 4".

Jonnydel called it (SEA film thread) when scouting TB mentioning they will be throwing to Wright, and that the TB safties love to move around to confuse QBs, and that McCoy lines up everywhere. Looking forward to ATL's scouting report when it comes. But REALLY looking forward to the wild card round and that scouting report.

I'm working on the ATL scouting right now, been fairly busy the last day or so. I've made it through last years NFCG, and a couple of ATL's recent games. I'm now going to their games against Carolina to see if they change vs a mobile QB. I'll have a lot of detailed stuff for that hopefully tomorrow as I'll have a pretty free slate.

Let me add my thanks and kudos for all the great analysis and discussion. Fun to read and it provides terrific stuff to talk about. Thanks.

Same here! Jonny, thl408, Goro and all, w/o a doubt, this is one of the best threads in NT and it's bringing back some critical discussions and analysis, something we had on a routine basis back when NT first opened shop. Let's keep these rolling!

Time to celebrate the final regular season game @ Candlestick!
This is the most knowledge I have ever read from the webzone since my joining... circa... 04 or something around that time...

I used to stay as far away from NINER TALK as I could... as most of the posts in the past were emotionally charged and quite incompetent (aside from Marvin49's... Marv don't stop your breakdowns... I really enjoy them).

Visiting the parking lot was the only joy I got coming to this website.... and believe me the joy was awesome! we have some serious comedians here... LOL.

After reading the "analysis of" threads... I come to NINER TALK hungry for information followed up with evidence! I have learned more than I could have thought with just these two threads... Thank you Jonnydel thl408 NC and anyone I have missed that contribute to this website bringing balance and a keen eye for 49er football. This is phenomenal stuff... all of your breakdowns show what kind of passion you all have for this game and the 49ers in particular... breaking down film like this is most certainly time consuming and then bringin it here... without being paid for it... THANKS FELLAS!

Really think about pursuing careers in coaching... "love what you do... and do what you love" so that it's really not work... when you work... but it is your lively hood...

GREAT GREAT GREAT STUFF...
Many of us have commented upon two receivers being in the same spot, easily covered by just one guy. Also when we run and go into a jumbo pak or not, we should have our WRs spread from one side of the field to the other, thus at least taking their defenders out of a running play. This one point, made by NC, is the most frustrating thing I can think of in the running game, with WRs, and TEs all crowded together. In effect sometimes we run against an 11 man line. So NC's comments are well taken, and roman needs to edit all his running plays by taking the WRs way the hell out of the picture. But he should definitely not sit both #15 and #81 on the same play. That really is goofy. And same goes for any passing play.
  • thl408
Here is the play where Boldin made the ridiculous one hand scoop catch. Perhaps more remembered for Crabs being open over the middle.

3rd Quarter - 3rd & 4
49ers: Rub concept out of bunch formation (man coverage buster)
TB: Cover 1 man

The 49ers use a bunch formation to allow a clean release from the WRs in the bunch (VD, Boldin, Crabs). In theory, this playcall will work against this coverage.

Below: The patterns the 49ers will run.

Below: TB's coverage. I placed a ? on top of two DBs and one LB (near line of scrimmage) because I am unclear what their assignment is supposed to be. That LB with the ? and Goldson (man coverage on Gore) will fake a blitz,. I assume it's man coverage based on the actions of the CB at the bottom of the screen covering Ham. He will turn and run with Ham, suggesting man coverage.

Below: The two DBs with the ?s on them are now both looking at VD. Boldin is in a physical contest with the CB. Crabs...

Below: Same moment in time as pic above. The LB that faked a blitz has removed himself from any chance of defending a throwing lane over the middle.

The play: Stacking and bunching WRs coupled with criss crossing (rub) against man coverage forces the defense to be perfect with their assignments. Or else blown coverage is created. 49ers still converted the 3rd down, but perhaps more could have been had. I think the fake blitz caused Kap to hurry his decision.

TB also used this sort of stacking/bunching, on offense, on their first 3rd down of the game which they failed to convert on. On that play (shown below), there was also confusion as to who covered who (between Brock and Whitner). (Post #144 goes into this play)

Jesus, CK is looking Boldin all the way as the AR1 here BUT MAN...even if this wasn't a PS design, you HAVE to have better vision here especially given that Crabtree is in the general area too! Ouch! This is another one that is so bad it's hard to determine what the play design was. Now, here's where an OC makes his money. Seeing how this play rubbed out Crabtree here, you HAVE to come back to it...this time call Crabtree as the AR1 or be looking to Crabtree as the primary receiver in the PS design. Period.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM ]
Well said, NC. It is a "comebacker" but not in the usual connotation. Here we should definitely have come back to the very same play, this time looking at Boldin and throwing elsewhere. wow that sucker was open. I remembered it but nowhere near as obvious as here.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well said, NC. It is a "comebacker" but not in the usual connotation. Here we should definitely have come back to the very same play, this time looking at Boldin and throwing elsewhere. wow that sucker was open. I remembered it but nowhere near as obvious as here.

There was only one other play all year long that was worse than this...earlier in the year on an ad lib play (broken) CK is starring at a WIDE open Baldwin in the middle of the field and there wasn't anyone within 10 yards of him...instead, CK takes off and runs at him. Again, these plays are so obvious to us arm chair coaches/QB's, it lends itself to question whether this is a CK-vision, confidence or coaching issue (instructions to hit that AR or primary read right away or take off and run). I'd like to think he is given more freedom (as we're seeing the large success with ad lib plays recently) but man, Boldin had TWO guys on him.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Many of us have commented upon two receivers being in the same spot, easily covered by just one guy. Also when we run and go into a jumbo pak or not, we should have our WRs spread from one side of the field to the other, thus at least taking their defenders out of a running play. This one point, made by NC, is the most frustrating thing I can think of in the running game, with WRs, and TEs all crowded together. In effect sometimes we run against an 11 man line. So NC's comments are well taken, and roman needs to edit all his running plays by taking the WRs way the hell out of the picture. But he should definitely not sit both #15 and #81 on the same play. That really is goofy. And same goes for any passing play.

Good observation... it's more likely the 2 WR are decoys with another running underneath in the space where those two were.

Yeah, that gif above hurts my brain. The way Boldin is blocking out his DB off the cross (turn), VD clearing out above, I wonder if Crabtree WAS the AR1 which "may" be while why he is throwing his arms up to catch CK's attention so early. The whole design is confusing...which is great BTW. Perhaps the design was to Run Crabtree across the formation taking his man plus Boldin's while VD clears out the underneath for Boldin? Perhaps Roman thought the drag by Crabtree would create isolation for Boldin here when in fact, it opened up Crabtree instead b/c the two defenders stayed with Boldin? Either way, come back to that and change the AR!!!!

I love the design...your top three AR's bunched together, cross...make that a PS play and let CK pull the trigger on who breaks out open the most!
  • thl408
There is no AR on this play, which is why Crabs was upset he didn't get the target. Prior to the snap, all the WRs have an equal chance of getting targeted. Like all PS plays, this PS play is designed to get 'someone' open. That someone depends on how the defensive coverage plays out. Here, the defense dictated Crabs to be open. If the TB defensive coaches are on point, they will discuss this play on the sidelines after the drive is over. Mentioning that a blown coverage occurred and to straighten out their assignments should the 49ers line up like this again. If this play is ran again later, it could be Boldin that is open (or VD) and Crabs who is covered. Or the 49ers might call this play when TB calls zone coverage and no one is open.

There is no AR on this play, which is why Crabs was upset he didn't get the target. Prior to the snap, all the WRs have an equal chance of getting targeted. Like all PS plays, this PS play is designed to get 'someone' open. That someone depends on how the defensive coverage plays out. Here, the defense dictated Crabs to be open. If the TB defensive coaches are on point, they will discuss this play on the sidelines after the drive is over. Mentioning that a blown coverage occurred and to straighten out their assignments should the 49ers line up like this again. If this play is ran again later, it could be Boldin that is open (or VD) and Crabs who is covered. Or the 49ers might call this play when TB calls zone coverage and no one is open.

Wow.. thanks for the breakdown. That is frustarating to see. To miss Crabs that wide open, especially with no assigned receiver, he had to TRULY lock in on Boldin only. No wonder Crabs was pissed.
I almost forgot to break down the Boldin run!

Here we start out with an empty backfield with James lined up out right. We motion Boldin into the backfield, making it look like we're isolating Crabtree 1-1 on the outside.

As you see, this sets up a big inside run advantage as there's only one LB in the middle of the field. We motion James fast giving the appearance of a sweep(highly likely since we brought one defender out of the outside area)

All of the James run action brings a lot of attention from the D. You see 4 players bite on the play. This sets up a numbers advantage for us on the backside.

From the endzone I've highlighted the blocking scheme. This is a DE trap play. They combo down on the DT while the pulling Guard is responsible to kick out the DE with Davis leading up the hole onto the LB.

You see how the James run action holds the LB from being aggressive and stepping up into the hole. Snyder has a good angle on the DE, he doesn't even need to blow the guy up, he just needs to wall off the defender from the play.

Instead, Snyder totally whiffs on his block.....

You see how Snyder has whiffed and how good of blocking angles both VD and AD have on the LB's

I've highlighted the goal line with the purple line at the bottom of the screen. If Snyder makes that block, Boldin walks in for a TD as the safety on that side would've had to be a superhero to make a tackle on Boldin from his angle.

I might have been the only person that liked this play when I saw it real time. You could totally see Snyder miss his block and that's what kept Boldin out of the endzone.

Given that it appears that CK is looking to Boldin and only Boldin all the way, one could make an argument it was a designed AR1 to Boldin (you can't totally rule it out)...BUT, I agree with thl408 here overall...given Crabtree's reaction one would HAVE to think CK either blew Crabtree as the AR1 on that design or this certainly was a PS play and CK flat out missed the obvious, best option here. Either way, ARG!!!
Thanks for the concern Thl, my dad is doing much better today. Not to air everything out there, but, he was diagnosed with an inoperable, terminal brain tumor recently. His first doctor said they were going to stop treatment because they thought the chemo was breaking down his body so fast that it was going to kill him before the cancer did. Which is why I took a leave from work and have been caring for him the past week or so with not much more than my laptop(without a mouse btw!!!!) to keep me company. This is why I've had so much time to break down film as my dad has trying to recover his strength and sleeps for long periods of the day. Thankfully, we got a better prognosis from a 2nd opinion today who has seen improvement in his health and wants to continue treatment. So, that's encouraging.

From the football side, I mean, the QB has to determine pre-snap what possible coverage he's going to see based off of alignment and safety look to determine his 1st and 2nd reads(which is why I think we have Kaep hard count so much to try and get a coverage look), from there, post-snap, see if the coverage has held to what it showed or has shifted, knowing also from his pre-snap read of leverage where, if the coverage did change, what are now his 3rd and 4th reads to the check down read.

I guess that's what I'm meaning. That, he has to understand his coverage read, to make his progression read. If that makes sense.

Went through the same thing with my pops a year ago, you won't regret a minute spent with him, no matter how difficult, which it will be.

And fecking eh, beautiful job with the film, I am a better fan after going through your threads.

Cheers, Good Luck.

M.
Here is the play where Boldin made the ridiculous one hand scoop catch. Perhaps more remembered for Crabs being open over the middle.

3rd Quarter - 3rd & 4
49ers: Rub concept out of bunch formation (man coverage buster)
TB: Cover 1 man

The 49ers use a bunch formation to allow a clean release from the WRs in the bunch (VD, Boldin, Crabs). In theory, this playcall will work against this coverage.

Below: The patterns the 49ers will run.

Below: TB's coverage. I placed a ? on top of two DBs and one LB (near line of scrimmage) because I am unclear what their assignment is supposed to be. That LB with the ? and Goldson (man coverage on Gore) will fake a blitz,. I assume it's man coverage based on the actions of the CB at the bottom of the screen covering Ham. He will turn and run with Ham, suggesting man coverage.

Below: The two DBs with the ?s on them are now both looking at VD. Boldin is in a physical contest with the CB. Crabs...

Below: Same moment in time as pic above. The LB that faked a blitz has removed himself from any chance of defending a throwing lane over the middle.

The play: Stacking and bunching WRs coupled with criss crossing (rub) against man coverage forces the defense to be perfect with their assignments. Or else blown coverage is created. 49ers still converted the 3rd down, but perhaps more could have been had. I think the fake blitz caused Kap to hurry his decision.

TB also used this sort of stacking/bunching, on offense, on their first 3rd down of the game which they failed to convert on. On that play (shown below), there was also confusion as to who covered who (between Brock and Whitner). (Post #144 goes into this play)

Am I the only one not seeing the pics on thl408's posts? I see jonny's just fine.
Share 49ersWebzone