There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Well, no need to look to listen for Greg Cossell being on the radio.
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks GORO, and everyone. It's not so much about educate, it's about taking what we see on Sundays and putting it in super slow-mo so we can all view it objectively. Like NC mentioned, watch it with our brain in this thread after we finish watching it with our heart on Sunday. I post the breakdowns to invite everyone with their input. I hope that the only 'arguments' we have here are "that was cover 2", "no it wasn't, that was cover 4".

Jonnydel called it (SEA film thread) when scouting TB mentioning they will be throwing to Wright, and that the TB safties love to move around to confuse QBs, and that McCoy lines up everywhere. Looking forward to ATL's scouting report when it comes. But REALLY looking forward to the wild card round and that scouting report.


I'm working on the ATL scouting right now, been fairly busy the last day or so. I've made it through last years NFCG, and a couple of ATL's recent games. I'm now going to their games against Carolina to see if they change vs a mobile QB. I'll have a lot of detailed stuff for that hopefully tomorrow as I'll have a pretty free slate.
Originally posted by thl408:

This is why I prefer gif's to screen shots (although helpful in their own right). When I first watched the play live I thought the play had a chance but felt it probably only would have picked up a few yards b/c of the congestion inside. You can see here the S #37 probably would have closed that gap and filled that hole rather easily with additional help coming from the back side. The play broke down b/c of Snyder naturally but that's the "execution" we're always hearing about. One break down and the entire play blows up.

But, IMHO, I'm OK with the "idea" of the play but the personnel choices and the design is flawed. If HaRoMan wanted this play to work, you don't run any of the top 3 AR's anywhere near the play itself b/c it draws the defenders right into the heart of the play. For one, he's got Boldin in the Q formation with James. Both would be red flags b/c we never use James and if Boldin is in the backfield, something is up (from the D's perspective). Next, he's also got VD on the LOS (there's your other AR who you need to hone in on in the RZ). Those two personnel choices alone are drawing the entire defense to the box. He only has Crabtree split out wide who is only going to decoy out 1 DB (Roman may have been hoping he'd also occupy the S, to be fair).

Probably the best way to win this play on both personnel and design is the following: Huner and James from the Q formation. McDonald at the LOS instead of VD and split out WIDE right any comination 2 of the 3: Crabtree, Boldin and/or VD. The 2 WR's out wide will force the defense to occupy with 3 DB's and McDonald at the LOS will not garner the attention VD would inside (but he's just as effective blocking) and then you run a shiftier RB through that hole and beat the pursuit to the EZ.

So good idea Roman but poor personnel choices and your design is slightly off IMO. And naturally, it helps if everyone does their part properly (execution). And props for not running this play inside your own 10.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks GORO, and everyone. It's not so much about educate, it's about taking what we see on Sundays and putting it in super slow-mo so we can all view it objectively. Like NC mentioned, watch it with our brain in this thread after we finish watching it with our heart on Sunday. I post the breakdowns to invite everyone with their input. I hope that the only 'arguments' we have here are "that was cover 2", "no it wasn't, that was cover 4".

Jonnydel called it (SEA film thread) when scouting TB mentioning they will be throwing to Wright, and that the TB safties love to move around to confuse QBs, and that McCoy lines up everywhere. Looking forward to ATL's scouting report when it comes. But REALLY looking forward to the wild card round and that scouting report.


I'm working on the ATL scouting right now, been fairly busy the last day or so. I've made it through last years NFCG, and a couple of ATL's recent games. I'm now going to their games against Carolina to see if they change vs a mobile QB. I'll have a lot of detailed stuff for that hopefully tomorrow as I'll have a pretty free slate.

Let me add my thanks and kudos for all the great analysis and discussion. Fun to read and it provides terrific stuff to talk about. Thanks.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks GORO, and everyone. It's not so much about educate, it's about taking what we see on Sundays and putting it in super slow-mo so we can all view it objectively. Like NC mentioned, watch it with our brain in this thread after we finish watching it with our heart on Sunday. I post the breakdowns to invite everyone with their input. I hope that the only 'arguments' we have here are "that was cover 2", "no it wasn't, that was cover 4".

Jonnydel called it (SEA film thread) when scouting TB mentioning they will be throwing to Wright, and that the TB safties love to move around to confuse QBs, and that McCoy lines up everywhere. Looking forward to ATL's scouting report when it comes. But REALLY looking forward to the wild card round and that scouting report.


I'm working on the ATL scouting right now, been fairly busy the last day or so. I've made it through last years NFCG, and a couple of ATL's recent games. I'm now going to their games against Carolina to see if they change vs a mobile QB. I'll have a lot of detailed stuff for that hopefully tomorrow as I'll have a pretty free slate.

Let me add my thanks and kudos for all the great analysis and discussion. Fun to read and it provides terrific stuff to talk about. Thanks.

Same here! Jonny, thl408, Goro and all, w/o a doubt, this is one of the best threads in NT and it's bringing back some critical discussions and analysis, something we had on a routine basis back when NT first opened shop. Let's keep these rolling!

Time to celebrate the final regular season game @ Candlestick!
This is the most knowledge I have ever read from the webzone since my joining... circa... 04 or something around that time...

I used to stay as far away from NINER TALK as I could... as most of the posts in the past were emotionally charged and quite incompetent (aside from Marvin49's... Marv don't stop your breakdowns... I really enjoy them).

Visiting the parking lot was the only joy I got coming to this website.... and believe me the joy was awesome! we have some serious comedians here... LOL.

After reading the "analysis of" threads... I come to NINER TALK hungry for information followed up with evidence! I have learned more than I could have thought with just these two threads... Thank you Jonnydel thl408 NC and anyone I have missed that contribute to this website bringing balance and a keen eye for 49er football. This is phenomenal stuff... all of your breakdowns show what kind of passion you all have for this game and the 49ers in particular... breaking down film like this is most certainly time consuming and then bringin it here... without being paid for it... THANKS FELLAS!

Really think about pursuing careers in coaching... "love what you do... and do what you love" so that it's really not work... when you work... but it is your lively hood...

GREAT GREAT GREAT STUFF...
Many of us have commented upon two receivers being in the same spot, easily covered by just one guy. Also when we run and go into a jumbo pak or not, we should have our WRs spread from one side of the field to the other, thus at least taking their defenders out of a running play. This one point, made by NC, is the most frustrating thing I can think of in the running game, with WRs, and TEs all crowded together. In effect sometimes we run against an 11 man line. So NC's comments are well taken, and roman needs to edit all his running plays by taking the WRs way the hell out of the picture. But he should definitely not sit both #15 and #81 on the same play. That really is goofy. And same goes for any passing play.
Here is the play where Boldin made the ridiculous one hand scoop catch. Perhaps more remembered for Crabs being open over the middle.

3rd Quarter - 3rd & 4
49ers: Rub concept out of bunch formation (man coverage buster)
TB: Cover 1 man

The 49ers use a bunch formation to allow a clean release from the WRs in the bunch (VD, Boldin, Crabs). In theory, this playcall will work against this coverage.

Below: The patterns the 49ers will run.


Below: TB's coverage. I placed a ? on top of two DBs and one LB (near line of scrimmage) because I am unclear what their assignment is supposed to be. That LB with the ? and Goldson (man coverage on Gore) will fake a blitz,. I assume it's man coverage based on the actions of the CB at the bottom of the screen covering Ham. He will turn and run with Ham, suggesting man coverage.


Below: The two DBs with the ?s on them are now both looking at VD. Boldin is in a physical contest with the CB. Crabs...


Below: Same moment in time as pic above. The LB that faked a blitz has removed himself from any chance of defending a throwing lane over the middle.


The play: Stacking and bunching WRs coupled with criss crossing (rub) against man coverage forces the defense to be perfect with their assignments. Or else blown coverage is created. 49ers still converted the 3rd down, but perhaps more could have been had. I think the fake blitz caused Kap to hurry his decision.



TB also used this sort of stacking/bunching, on offense, on their first 3rd down of the game which they failed to convert on. On that play (shown below), there was also confusion as to who covered who (between Brock and Whitner). (Post #144 goes into this play)
Originally posted by thl408:


Jesus, CK is looking Boldin all the way as the AR1 here BUT MAN...even if this wasn't a PS design, you HAVE to have better vision here especially given that Crabtree is in the general area too! Ouch! This is another one that is so bad it's hard to determine what the play design was. Now, here's where an OC makes his money. Seeing how this play rubbed out Crabtree here, you HAVE to come back to it...this time call Crabtree as the AR1 or be looking to Crabtree as the primary receiver in the PS design. Period.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM ]
Well said, NC. It is a "comebacker" but not in the usual connotation. Here we should definitely have come back to the very same play, this time looking at Boldin and throwing elsewhere. wow that sucker was open. I remembered it but nowhere near as obvious as here.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well said, NC. It is a "comebacker" but not in the usual connotation. Here we should definitely have come back to the very same play, this time looking at Boldin and throwing elsewhere. wow that sucker was open. I remembered it but nowhere near as obvious as here.

There was only one other play all year long that was worse than this...earlier in the year on an ad lib play (broken) CK is starring at a WIDE open Baldwin in the middle of the field and there wasn't anyone within 10 yards of him...instead, CK takes off and runs at him. Again, these plays are so obvious to us arm chair coaches/QB's, it lends itself to question whether this is a CK-vision, confidence or coaching issue (instructions to hit that AR or primary read right away or take off and run). I'd like to think he is given more freedom (as we're seeing the large success with ad lib plays recently) but man, Boldin had TWO guys on him.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Many of us have commented upon two receivers being in the same spot, easily covered by just one guy. Also when we run and go into a jumbo pak or not, we should have our WRs spread from one side of the field to the other, thus at least taking their defenders out of a running play. This one point, made by NC, is the most frustrating thing I can think of in the running game, with WRs, and TEs all crowded together. In effect sometimes we run against an 11 man line. So NC's comments are well taken, and roman needs to edit all his running plays by taking the WRs way the hell out of the picture. But he should definitely not sit both #15 and #81 on the same play. That really is goofy. And same goes for any passing play.

Good observation... it's more likely the 2 WR are decoys with another running underneath in the space where those two were.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Many of us have commented upon two receivers being in the same spot, easily covered by just one guy. Also when we run and go into a jumbo pak or not, we should have our WRs spread from one side of the field to the other, thus at least taking their defenders out of a running play. This one point, made by NC, is the most frustrating thing I can think of in the running game, with WRs, and TEs all crowded together. In effect sometimes we run against an 11 man line. So NC's comments are well taken, and roman needs to edit all his running plays by taking the WRs way the hell out of the picture. But he should definitely not sit both #15 and #81 on the same play. That really is goofy. And same goes for any passing play.

Good observation... it's more likely the 2 WR are decoys with another running underneath in the space where those two were.

Yeah, that gif above hurts my brain. The way Boldin is blocking out his DB off the cross (turn), VD clearing out above, I wonder if Crabtree WAS the AR1 which "may" be while why he is throwing his arms up to catch CK's attention so early. The whole design is confusing...which is great BTW. Perhaps the design was to Run Crabtree across the formation taking his man plus Boldin's while VD clears out the underneath for Boldin? Perhaps Roman thought the drag by Crabtree would create isolation for Boldin here when in fact, it opened up Crabtree instead b/c the two defenders stayed with Boldin? Either way, come back to that and change the AR!!!!

I love the design...your top three AR's bunched together, cross...make that a PS play and let CK pull the trigger on who breaks out open the most!
There is no AR on this play, which is why Crabs was upset he didn't get the target. Prior to the snap, all the WRs have an equal chance of getting targeted. Like all PS plays, this PS play is designed to get 'someone' open. That someone depends on how the defensive coverage plays out. Here, the defense dictated Crabs to be open. If the TB defensive coaches are on point, they will discuss this play on the sidelines after the drive is over. Mentioning that a blown coverage occurred and to straighten out their assignments should the 49ers line up like this again. If this play is ran again later, it could be Boldin that is open (or VD) and Crabs who is covered. Or the 49ers might call this play when TB calls zone coverage and no one is open.
Originally posted by thl408:
There is no AR on this play, which is why Crabs was upset he didn't get the target. Prior to the snap, all the WRs have an equal chance of getting targeted. Like all PS plays, this PS play is designed to get 'someone' open. That someone depends on how the defensive coverage plays out. Here, the defense dictated Crabs to be open. If the TB defensive coaches are on point, they will discuss this play on the sidelines after the drive is over. Mentioning that a blown coverage occurred and to straighten out their assignments should the 49ers line up like this again. If this play is ran again later, it could be Boldin that is open (or VD) and Crabs who is covered. Or the 49ers might call this play when TB calls zone coverage and no one is open.

Wow.. thanks for the breakdown. That is frustarating to see. To miss Crabs that wide open, especially with no assigned receiver, he had to TRULY lock in on Boldin only. No wonder Crabs was pissed.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home