There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Don't know if this has been posted but it's another breakdown of the Tampa game from Inside the film room-http://insidethefilmroom.com/?p=3221

lol crap. I should have just linked this article.
No worries.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice. I was totally fine with this play...although I probably would have used BOLDIN as the blocker and not the RB here and I probably wouldn't have done it inside the 10...but what the heck, it's the Bucs! I still think #54 cleans this up or the S just to his left. Did the S go with Crabtree? Either way, it should have been a positive gain but unfortunately, one chain broke here

I thought the play was dumb. Looking at this, its not as dumb but i still don't like it. Yeah it was good in theory, but you are asking a backup guard (one of the worst in the league) to pull and take out a quick DE. To top it off, we hand it to a 36 year old man.

If the play blew up, which it did, maybe if we had a more shifty player like LMJ or Crabs take the handoff he could of made the DE miss.
I think the D-end blew the play up so bad, nobody was going to get away from him. You can't really blame Roman too much, he put his players in a great situation to succeed, he can't plan for his players to fail, if he does, there's a major coaching problem going on.

He sure did! I'd much rather Roman try out a new wrinkle inside the opponents 10 vs. our own!
jonnydel, where did u get the coaches film? rewind or gamepass? for free?
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erCanuck:
And right after I posted that questions, I see it answered up above. Tis always the way.

From the Roman thread:

My theory: Just a reminder of what an (Annointed Revceiver - AR1 or AR2) passing game means. Essentially, it's a pre-determined passing play designed to get ONE receiver the ball from the plays called in to the huddle by HaRoMan. It is typically designed to get this one receiver the ball under 3 seconds for obvious reasons. IF that AR is covered, CK is instructed to be off and running. Once the AR is covered (or CK doesn't pull the trigger), it instantly becomes an ad lib play. In both types of passing plays HaRoMan determines the play calls, not CK. While he may be able to audible out of one pass play to another, both typically have the AR pre-determined. CK's job (and esp. that of the AR and the non-AR's) is merely to "execute" the play. It's a team-receiving concept (like college). Like in the run game, if one chain breaks, the whole play blows up. It leans heavily on skill players winning their 1on1 battles; we've seen the results when Boldin & VD were doubled this year. In 2012, the AR's were Crabtree and VD. In 2013, it's been Boldin and VD. Now we're starting to see more Crabtree but clearly, like Dilfer referenced, his # isn't being called enough to make him happy.

AR1 (most common) - This is a play designed to get the AR the ball via non-physical support from the others (e.g. decoy routes). For instance, we run 3 straight go-routes occupying 4 DB's to hit the AR underneth in a 1on1 matchup. Think Randy Moss running deep sideline and post routes to open up VD and Crabtree underneath all year long. It includes cutting off routes to draw defenders (or making them hesitate just for a second) to free up the AR who cuts the other direction. It includes designed flows as well...getting the defense to flow one way to pass back to the other side; misdirections, crossing patterns, etc. The non-AR's are NOT viable receiving options in the play UNTIL it becomes an ad lib play. They must execute their part to help the AR get the ball. This is common in a college offense vs. pro-style.
AR2 (rare) - This is a play designed to get the AR the ball with physical help from the others (literallly, blocking up field while the ball is in the air to the AR underneath). This is a play where Boldin received a P.I. call inside the RZ recently.
Ad lib (common) - This is a play where CK doesn't pull the trigger on the AR (hesitates) or the AR is effectively covered and the play instantly becomes a broken ad lib play. CK is instructed to buy time with his legs and look to ad lib pass or pick up yards with his legs. We've scored 3 of our last 4 TD's on this one.
Pro-Style (PS) (rare) - This is a passing play called where all receivers (usually 4) plus the backs are ALL viable passing options. It's on CK to find the most open and pull the trigger.

See post #1972 to see a breakdown of the 1st half of the Bucs game from this theory: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/168162-greg-roman-really-good/page132/

Here is how you simply break it down:
Step 1. Ignore: the personnel groupings, who lines up where, their routes, defensive alignments, etc. Focus ONLY on who caught the ball.
Step 2. Rewind and watch CK's head angle and body positioning (is he looking at this AR all the way)? Is he looking off defenders to assist the AR1/2?
Step 3. Rewind again. Now watch the non-AR's to see what part they played in getting that receiver open.
Step 4. Fill in the details and results

I agree with your theory but I also agree with Jonnydel - the two are not mutually exclusive.

What I think has been happening is that with Crabs, Manningham and Patton out, Moss and Walker gone and Vernon being injured for a few games, we ran the AR style offensive plays far more often in the first part of the season. I think there were almost no PS pass plays called until Manningham returned and we started bleeding them all in. We were focusing purely on getting Boldin the ball in AR style plays because he's a playmaker and we didn't trust Baldwin or Williams due to suspect hands so we didn't put in AR plays for them.

Now that Crabs is back as well, I think our offense is migrating to include more which is why we are seeing the blend that Jonnydel has picked out in the Seattle and Tampa games.

However, my real criticism of Roman and Harbaugh is that they did not try and develop Baldwin and McDonald as receiving options by continuing to call plays for them when we had that run of 5 wins.

I think Mcdonald is going to see far more plays now with Miller out, but he will need to improve his blocking and that is the issue. He didn't block much at college so I think the coaches trust him as a receiver but he's never going to be the go to TE option with Vernon on the field until thbey are confident he can really block and then slip out short into the middle of the field to give Kap an option.

Agreed on many fronts here...I still think Roman "likes" to scheme guys open by design the mass majority of the time (IMHO). That said, since Crabtree and Manningham's return, as expected, we're seeing at least Crabtree's dialed up as the AR a little even though most of his big plays may have been on ad libs. I think what Dilfer highlights below sort of demonstrates why Crabtree is so frustrated. All year long, our leading receiver only gets 5 catches a game (at most). That doesn't leave much room, by design, for anyone else not named Boldin or VD. Crabtree worked very hard to get back so he wants his number called and to be highlighted in the game plan, no doubt.

Dilfer: "...harsh reality though if you're a skill position guy for the Niners, you're only getting the ball if the play was designed to get you the ball. They don't have the type of offensive structure and Colin isn't the type of quarterback that there are five eligible receivers and anyone can get the ball. This is a run, run-action, pick-and-stick team. They're calling a play for a defense, for a player and, if that play is called wrong, that second, third, fourth option isn't going to get the ball very often. So, Crabtree's complaints should be with Greg Roman."

I do want to say though that I've seen two things since Crabtree's return (we're barely using Manningham at all)....1) I'm seeing more PS passing plays and that is encouraging b/c the play design does not dictate the receiver, CK does! and 2) Our ad lib plays have become more and more successful (again, that demonstrates the trust of CK with guys such as VD, Crabtree and Boldin but it also means teams can no longer hone in on just VD or Boldin; earlier in the years these broken plays were a disaster ending in sacks, TFL, throw-aways, mass confusion, etc.).

Your criticism has been mine as well...all year long. Remember, Crabtree and Manningham injuries were KNOWN prior to the start of the season. And this AR passing attack can EASILY be used to get other's involved. I would have LOVED to see us design and as a result, develop both Baldwin and esp. McDonald. I may be in the minority here but I felt like we could have even schemed lesser-talented players such as Williams from the slot more. I'm not one to buy the drop-off in talent excuse (esp. when you look around the league). To me, this is where an OC makes his money...game planning to attack weaknesses, helping your young QB develop and get into a rhythm early in games, by design, proper personnel usage and development, repetition, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM ]
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
I almost forgot to break down the Boldin run!

Here we start out with an empty backfield with James lined up out right. We motion Boldin into the backfield, making it look like we're isolating Crabtree 1-1 on the outside.

As you see, this sets up a big inside run advantage as there's only one LB in the middle of the field. We motion James fast giving the appearance of a sweep(highly likely since we brought one defender out of the outside area)

All of the James run action brings a lot of attention from the D. You see 4 players bite on the play. This sets up a numbers advantage for us on the backside.

From the endzone I've highlighted the blocking scheme. This is a DE trap play. They combo down on the DT while the pulling Guard is responsible to kick out the DE with Davis leading up the hole onto the LB.

You see how the James run action holds the LB from being aggressive and stepping up into the hole. Snyder has a good angle on the DE, he doesn't even need to blow the guy up, he just needs to wall off the defender from the play.

Instead, Snyder totally whiffs on his block.....

You see how Snyder has whiffed and how good of blocking angles both VD and AD have on the LB's

I've highlighted the goal line with the purple line at the bottom of the screen. If Snyder makes that block, Boldin walks in for a TD as the safety on that side would've had to be a superhero to make a tackle on Boldin from his angle.
Outstanding!

We fooled them big-time but Snyder failed big-time as well.

GREAT job, man. AMAZING.
I think I figured it out guys. jonnydel = Greg Roman
Originally posted by FourNine49:

I thought the same thing at first! Get this info to Crabtree like his "Did I drop that!??" Erkle pic!
They weren't as much breakdowns as the chess game ramping up in the middle portion of the game. Tampa made some good 2nd half adjustments. Tampa was able to put two long drives together when the defense started to play out of sync. Our rush relies on our coverage and our coverage relies on our rush. It's a full team game, when the coverage busted their job, the rush was good, but, the QB had somewhere to go with the ball. When the rush didn't get there, the coverage was pressed too hard to hold up. They just didn't play in sync on those drives. Like I said in the Seahawks thread, when our D plays with sound technique and fundamentals, they are really really good.

What about on the offensive side of the ball? I don't think the drive chart shows much during this time either.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I agree with your theory but I also agree with Jonnydel - the two are not mutually exclusive.

What I think has been happening is that with Crabs, Manningham and Patton out, Moss and Walker gone and Vernon being injured for a few games, we ran the AR style offensive plays far more often in the first part of the season. I think there were almost no PS pass plays called until Manningham returned and we started bleeding them all in. We were focusing purely on getting Boldin the ball in AR style plays because he's a playmaker and we didn't trust Baldwin or Williams due to suspect hands so we didn't put in AR plays for them.

Now that Crabs is back as well, I think our offense is migrating to include more which is why we are seeing the blend that Jonnydel has picked out in the Seattle and Tampa games.

However, my real criticism of Roman and Harbaugh is that they did not try and develop Baldwin and McDonald as receiving options by continuing to call plays for them when we had that run of 5 wins.

I think Mcdonald is going to see far more plays now with Miller out, but he will need to improve his blocking and that is the issue. He didn't block much at college so I think the coaches trust him as a receiver but he's never going to be the go to TE option with Vernon on the field until thbey are confident he can really block and then slip out short into the middle of the field to give Kap an option.

going back and looking at those games, what we saw from defenses was a lot different too. Remember, Crab's coming back hasn't just changed our receiving options, it's also changed how defenses play us. Before, a lot more teams were willing to go with cover 1, or cover -0 blitz packages. They were going to take away Kaep's running options by squeezing the pocket with the blitz. Roman tried to call plays to give some of the other receivers a chance to beat their man and they almost never did. Part of my assertion that there were more options and more variety of style of plays comes from the plays where Kaep gets sacked. Almost every one of those plays were PS style plays. So, you can see why Roman started shying away from them a little for a while.

But now with Crabtree back, the defenses are having to choose to double someone in man coverage, which takes away from the rush or spy options. This opened up Kaep to run like we saw last week against Tampa. When Kaep starts to run, they start running more zone coverages, which broke up some double team options. Then, when you add our power run game into the mix, it makes life a lot harder on a d-coord.
Originally posted by communist:
jonnydel, where did u get the coaches film? rewind or gamepass? for free?

nfl.com/gamerewind It's a 7 day free trial(I felt lied to, it cost a $1 transaction fee) but the late season price is $40 through for access through July 31st
Originally posted by FourNine49:

depending on all the different opinions of Roman, I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.....
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
They weren't as much breakdowns as the chess game ramping up in the middle portion of the game. Tampa made some good 2nd half adjustments. Tampa was able to put two long drives together when the defense started to play out of sync. Our rush relies on our coverage and our coverage relies on our rush. It's a full team game, when the coverage busted their job, the rush was good, but, the QB had somewhere to go with the ball. When the rush didn't get there, the coverage was pressed too hard to hold up. They just didn't play in sync on those drives. Like I said in the Seahawks thread, when our D plays with sound technique and fundamentals, they are really really good.

What about on the offensive side of the ball? I don't think the drive chart shows much during this time either.
The offensive side got pretty sloppy. Staley gave up a sack on one drive - which makes it vastly more difficult to get a 1st down, I think the NFL percentage of drives that score after giving up a sack are below 10%. We also had some penalties during this time(which we all know how penalties can kill a drive) and Tampa's defense made some good adjustments. Remember, the offense still put up 26 points against a pretty god defense. If we can put up 26 points a game, we're going to win. Unless our defense has some major letdowns they're not going to give up more than 20 points to many people.
If it hasn't been done already I'll gladly donate a couple dollars to help pay for that pass.

Let us know of your PayPal address as I'm sure others would be glad to help.
jonnydel: Have you looked at a comparison to last years playoff games?

It would seem to me that with crabs back we would now be seeing a lot more of what they did in the playoffs last year. I would think it would be a better comparison on what to expect than looking at earlier this year.

Also, I know everyone is saying it however, thanks again for what has to be the best reading on the zone in a long time. I was just about to give up on the zone as endless complaining of people that did not know what they were even talking about.

jonnydel zone saver