LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 193 users in the forums

Do you have confidence in Dixon moving to FB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you have confidence in Dixon moving to FB?

I guess I do , I dont know if he can withstand the pounding though, he is 20 LBs lighter than Miller and his durability to man the FB position is suspect IMO

but if Roman can find ways to use him as a weapon for the offense, he could be a real asset ....any thoughts Niner Fans?
I don't know if he will be as good of a lead blocker but I think they could use him in the passing game just as well. He was a bruiser at Mississippi State so hopefully they get creative.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
He's been our back-up FB for over a year, he's had plenty of reps over that time.

Their listed weight is only 15 pounds difference and it was reported this past offseason that Dixon worked out specifically to shred fat and gain muscle that would help him earn a roster spot as FB. He was on his way off this team during the offseason until he proved to the coaches that he was worth it as a FB on top of his ST ability.

Roman won't be able to use him as pass catcher like Miller IMO but that is where plays like LMJ split out wide come in to play. Kind of funny that Roman caved and showed that look multiple times during the same game that we would lose his favorite backfield pass catcher.
I'm not too worried about it because we have Crabtree back. Now we have 3 viable receiving options, where before Crabtrees return, Miller was our #3.

Also, Dixon may be a better runner. We will take a hit though in lead blocking.
Good now we can call more pass plays and keep defenses off balance. Hopefully this ends all that JUMBO FORMATION POOP that never works.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Good now we can call more pass plays and keep defenses off balance. Hopefully this ends all that JUMBO FORMATION POOP that never works.

Very good point. The jumbo is awful. I liked it in 2011 but defenses figured it out.
i have total confidence in boobie.
Originally posted by sfout:
He's been our back-up FB for over a year, he's had plenty of reps over that time.

Their listed weight is only 15 pounds difference and it was reported this past offseason that Dixon worked out specifically to shred fat and gain muscle that would help him earn a roster spot as FB. He was on his way off this team during the offseason until he proved to the coaches that he was worth it as a FB on top of his ST ability.

Roman won't be able to use him as pass catcher like Miller IMO but that is where plays like LMJ split out wide come in to play. Kind of funny that Roman caved and showed that look multiple times during the same game that we would lose his favorite backfield pass catcher.

Why won't Roman be able to use him as a pass catcher? The scouting report of him coming out of college was that he was quick off the press and he could catch. He just can't out run a defender but I bet he could probably run over an open field tackler.
Am I the only person they would like to see a split- back look with gore and lmj with Crabs, Boldin and VD?? With Colin under center this would be HARD to defend!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm not too worried about it because we have Crabtree back. Now we have 3 viable receiving options, where before Crabtrees return, Miller was our #3.

Also, Dixon may be a better runner. We will take a hit though in lead blocking.

Wonder if Carrier will see some time at FB too ?

• boast
  • Hella Fame
yes. Boobie is a talented back. he's hungry too.
Dixon has been able to step up and give 100% in any role he has been given on this team, I think he will be able to adjust to FB and make an impact.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Am I the only person they would like to see a split- back look with gore and lmj with Crabs, Boldin and VD?? With Colin under center this would be HARD to defend!

I always wondered if Roman would use some split backfield sets with Gore and James or Hunter ? .....Gore and James in the backfield, send James out in motion and put him in the slot, all kinds of possibilities ...maybe we will see some looks like that on monday
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted that for a long time, but that's not our identity. We want to come out and run it down your throats with the passing game used to spring VD and Co. for big gains. Then we have Boldin to pick up key 3rd downs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
N, but I think he will play as hard as he can.

With some luck, he could do well.
Share 49ersWebzone