LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Goodbye Candlestick Park

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Raul98:
I had an idea Would you guys been okay with instead of taking the 1.3 billion to build Levis stadium they spent that money into renovating the stick? for example tear out all the seats replace them with newer nicer ones. Tear down the locker rooms and re do them more modern. Re do all the luxury suites to modern standards. Tear down the score board and big screen and replace them with modern nicer ones. Re do the tv/radio tower above the home field side of the field. Tear down and re do all the bathrooms make them cleaner and nicer maybe add some new ones. Re do the concession stands even update the menus. Even put in the free wi fi. Basically re do parts of the stadium so there nicer and more modern. Maybe even re do the parking lot. I know all this couldn't be done in 1 off season so it could have been done threw out different off seasons the same way the Packers made there old stadium look almost brand new by making improvements when the Packers are in the off season. If Candlestick had all these modern upgrades would Jed and the fans be happy there or did they just want to leave cause it's old and people hate traveling threw the ghetto to get there?
So pretty much build a new stadium, is what you are saying
No just re do parts of the stadium to today's standards the same way the Packers did. They didn't have to build a brand new stadium they took old Lambeau field and made it modern threw upgrades we maybe could have done the same thing but the Yorks never even suggested it.
I had an idea Would you guys been okay with instead of taking the 1.3 billion to build Levis stadium they spent that money into renovating the stick? for example tear out all the seats replace them with newer nicer ones. Tear down the locker rooms and re do them more modern. Re do all the luxury suites to modern standards. Tear down the score board and big screen and replace them with modern nicer ones. Re do the tv/radio tower above the home field side of the field. Tear down and re do all the bathrooms make them cleaner and nicer maybe add some new ones. Re do the concession stands even update the menus. Even put in the free wi fi. Basically re do parts of the stadium so there nicer and more modern. Maybe even re do the parking lot. I know all this couldn't be done in 1 off season so it could have been done threw out different off seasons the same way the Packers made there old stadium look almost brand new by making improvements when the Packers are in the off season. If Candlestick had all these modern upgrades would Jed and the fans be happy there or did they just want to leave cause it's old and people hate traveling threw the ghetto to get there?
No just re do parts of the stadium to today's standards the same way the Packers did. They didn't have to build a brand new stadium they took old Lambeau field and made it modern threw upgrades we maybe could have done the same thing but the Yorks never even suggested it.
Lanbeau was a Football stadium first..so the foundation was set...candlestick is not a football stadium and is more like a concrete bunker..so do what you are saying is almost a total remodel.
Lanbeau was a Football stadium first..so the foundation was set...candlestick is not a football stadium and is more like a concrete bunker..so do what you are saying is almost a total remodel.

Ya it would be a total re model it wouldn't be easy and would take time and money but in the end the finished product would be Candlestick Park is a modern NFL stadium and we don't end up in Santa Clara would the the Yorks and fans like or hate the final results of that situation?

Ya it would be a total re model it wouldn't be easy and would take time and money but in the end the finished product would be Candlestick Park is a modern NFL stadium and we don't end up in Santa Clara would the the Yorks and fans like or hate the final results of that situation?
I would have loved for them to stay..but the city of SF and residents weren't helping much...and fans were gripping over a new stadium for years already..and 49ers probably felt that they couldn't wait any longer.

I live 3 miles away from the new stadium..but I miss the drive to SF.

I would have loved for them to stay..but the city of SF and residents weren't helping much...and fans were gripping over a new stadium for years already..and 49ers probably felt that they couldn't wait any longer.

I wonder if the Yorks and the city looked into the possibility of re modeling the stick or was it new stadium or bust the whole way?
Such a shame. wish we never moved.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
So pretty much don't have any proof

Not sure if sarcasm or incomprehensible lack of knowledge about burden of proof fallacy.

I wonder if the Yorks and the city looked into the possibility of re modeling the stick or was it new stadium or bust the whole way?

That's probably the main issue . . . the City owns the Stick. If they could have cut a deal to sell the Stick to the York family for a rock bottom number or deed over the property it might have worked. Obviously the York's and the NFL were never going to finance improvements to property they don't own. And you know the City was never going to finance it through voter approved bonds.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Feb 7, 2015 at 3:58 PM ]
I hope they mark the spot where "the catch " was made. A statue would be great.
Originally posted by trooper49:

Theyll build a house on it and charge double the price.

Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Such a shame. wish we never moved.

We were about 5 games away from a support beam collapsing the stands onto thousands of people below. The Stick was a legendary place, but it was a DUMP.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by trooper49:

Theyll build a house on it and charge double the price.

Sounds about right.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

That's probably the main issue . . . the City owns the Stick. If they could have cut a deal to sell the Stick to the York family for a rock bottom number or deed over the property it might have worked. Obviously the York's and the NFL were never going to finance improvements to property they don't own. And you know the City was never going to finance it through voter approved bonds.
It seems like the Yorks and San Francisco didn't want the team to stay in SF I doubt either side would have put in the time effort or money to re model the stick both sides would have to be really committed to the project in order for it to work which it seems either side wasn't. It's sad if they were able to work together maybe the stick gets a cool face lift instead of being stuck in that plastic box of levis stadium.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

It seems like the Yorks and San Francisco didn't want the team to stay in SF I doubt either side would have put in the time effort or money to re model the stick both sides would have to be really committed to the project in order for it to work which it seems either side wasn't. It's sad if they were able to work together maybe the stick gets a cool face lift instead of being stuck in that plastic box of levis stadium.

My understanding is that renovation just wasn't an option for the Stick. Time, antiquated design, and earthquakes took their toll on the foundation she stood on. It was not a repairable situation.

They could have rebuilt on the same site and played elsewhere for a couple years, like the Vikings are currently doing. But the municipality has to be willing to play ball and if you are going to build new, you might as well try to solve other issues like accessibility.

The ship has sailed.
  • CMIO
I am no fan of Skip Bayless, but he said it best on First Take

He said that Candlestick was one of his favorite NFL venues, because the fog / rain / wet field / old feel / history gave it an aura similar to other classic arenas like Lambeau, Soldier, old Cowboys stadium.

There was something about Candlestick and having opposing teams come there to play. Levi's is a POS palace built for the tycoons of Silicon Valley -- it has no identity and except for a modest few, boasts fans that would rather sip wine and check their stocks than to watch the game.

BIG MISTAKE, IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone