There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game

The Niners are 2-3 plays away from an 11 game winning streak. If McDonald had caught that ball against Carolina, if Brooks wasn't called for the hit on Brees, the Niners would be 12-2 and nearing home field advantage.

This team is very good, however we will now have to win in Seattle to make the Super Bowl.

To win in Seattle the Niners cannot waste timeouts on play clocks winding down, we have to be able to get TDs once in the red zone, we have to hit deep balls on Seattle, like the one Vernon caught yesterday.

I think the offense would need to be simplified for the Seattle game, almost no audibles, we would have to hit on some deep passes, we have to get the lead. On defense I would try and mirror Seattle some and load the box to stop Lynch and stop Wilson from running. Our secondary will have to play lights out.

It will be a battle, but we have to change some things to win up there.
Originally posted by VABeach49er:
Actually just watched the slow mo replay and he was looking at crabs as soon as he got open

That's what I thought. I'm just curious as to why he didn't pull the trigger. It was a pretty big window...
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
The Niners are 2-3 plays away from an 11 game winning streak. If McDonald had caught that ball against Carolina, if Brooks wasn't called for the hit on Brees, the Niners would be 12-2 and nearing home field advantage.

This team is very good, however we will now have to win in Seattle to make the Super Bowl.

To win in Seattle the Niners cannot waste timeouts on play clocks winding down, we have to be able to get TDs once in the red zone, we have to hit deep balls on Seattle, like the one Vernon caught yesterday.

I think the offense would need to be simplified for the Seattle game, almost no audibles, we would have to hit on some deep passes, we have to get the lead. On defense I would try and mirror Seattle some and load the box to stop Lynch and stop Wilson from running. Our secondary will have to play lights out.

It will be a battle, but we have to change some things to win up there.
I think that has pissed me off the most lately. It's week 15 and they're still having clock issues. I just don't get it.
If your Aunt had Balls She'd be your uncle

It is what it is

I'm OK with our record

We are going to be the hottest team going into the playoffs

Crabs is on fire, VD is epic, Gore is historic

I actually WANT to go to SEA for the NFC Championship to kick their ass there

And, the midget
Lol praising Kaep for missing Crabtree on his first move and forcing him to improv in order to get a TD? Haha that's funny. Almost as funny as saying we are in good shape for the future because of Baalke.
^^

[ Edited by swayze on Dec 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Lol praising Kaep for missing Crabtree on his first move and forcing him to improv in order to get a TD? Haha that's funny. Almost as funny as saying we are in good shape for the future because of Baalke.

Interesting take. I can't tell if any WR was open before Kap had to scramble on that TD catch. There is such a thing as making it harder than it had to be. Similar to when a WR bobbles a catch he should have snared, but it's considered a great catch. Still, the fact he was able to scramble to buy time, then throw accurately on the run made it a nice play.
Originally posted by thl408:

Interesting take. I can't tell if any WR was open before Kap had to scramble on that TD catch. There is such a thing as making it harder than it had to be. Similar to when a WR bobbles a catch he should have snared, but it's considered a great catch. Still, the fact he was able to scramble to buy time, then throw accurately on the run made it a nice play.

You can't tell that Crabs is wide open off his original break? Seriously are you visually impaired?
Originally posted by thl408:

You can't tell that Crabs is wide open off his original break? Seriously are you visually impaired?

Was Kap looking that way when Crabs made his first cut? I will rewatch the game tomorrow to check it out. I do not wear prescription glasses.
First, the kudos to you, Marvin. I rarely post on this site, but I read it EVERY day, and like many of us on here, I look forward to your weekly recaps.

I decided to reply this time simply because I was at the game. My folks are Bucs season ticket holders, and I typically fly down to mooch one of their tickets off them to catch a game a year. The last time I saw the Niners there, I think we got beat like 35-3, so it was nice to catch a win.

I just wanted to comment on Kaep. In some ways, I think this may have been his best game of the year. The stats don't tell that story (well, the first half stats might), but it was music to my ears hearing all the Tampa fans groaning every time he stepped out of a would be sack or short-gain scramble and turned it into a big gain or conversion. I can't tell you the number of times I heard people scream or mutter "Goddammit, they missed him," "For God's sake, tackle his ass," or "Jesus Christ, can someone please bring him down?" The play running out of bounds and backward while firing a lazer to Crabs at the sideline (1st play of 2nd quarter, I think) was a thing of beauty. The bomb to VD was remarkable. That thing was 63 or so yards in the air and MOVING. And the play of the game was converting the 3rd and 12 on the long drive in the 4th quarter, especially after Crabs' penalty almost killed it. There were a few moments where he missed a bigger gain and hit the shorter/safer option, but overall, I thought he was tremendous on Sunday.

Also, it was nice to see how many fellow Niner fans showed up at this game. From the airport, to the tailgating, and then in the stadium, I met a lot of cool people supporting the red and gold.

Just my two cents.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Gotta give credit to Schneider. He and Carroll have managed to put together a tremendous roster with a bunch of late round picks, esp. on defense.

But eventually if a player is really good, he will cost money. Sherman a 5th round pick but will make 1st round all pro money when his time comes.

The one thing that is unique in Seattle is that they draft mostly for measurables and tailor their team around physical traits a lot more than intangibles and experience. That allows you to get the production from later round guys, and sometimes more consistent. Carroll is good at coaching up players and having schemes that allow them to succeed.

So their roster is strong, but mostly Seattle strong. In their front 7, the only guy I'd want to start for sure for us is Red Bryant. Not sure about Bennett, Clemons, and Avril.....are they better than McDonald? Different system entirely.

You listen to people talk and it's like their front 7 is as good or better than ours. If that secondary wasn't what they are, they would be far from this elite super D.
Not a chance. He's just a run stuffer. Michael Bennett is their best DLinemen. Hopefully they lose him in free agency.
Wussup fellow FAITHFUL long time reader first time poster.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by mickey49:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kap: Another steady game...but there were some real "wow" plays in there. The first deep pass to Vernon was nuts. Vernon couldn't get to it but he would have had he run full out on the entire pattern. The fact that he was scrambling forward and just winged it like that...damn. The MOST impressive plays to me tho were both to Crabtree. First the TD where he waited for Crab to break open...
The thing that bugged me about that play, and I know this is splitting hairs because we got the touchdown anyway, is that it looked like Crabtree was open way earlier in the route and Kap looked right at him and didn't throw it. There's still some hesitancy there throwing to open guys for some reason. Like I said, we got the touchdown out of it anyway with Crabs running around the endzone, but I don't think it had to be that hard, lol...

I thought the same thing. Crabs was open from the start, but Kap just didn't see it or was not confident enough to throw it right away. Luckily , he worked his way open again and Kap made a very impressive throw. I think this was an illustration that Kap is sometimes hesitant to make the throw earlier, even though his target is either open or about to be. Experience will give him the confidence to make those decisions sooner.

I think Kap's first read was to the left. Crabs was open as Kap was reading left side and then as he started scrambling right Crabs was covered again before freeing himself.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think Kap's first read was to the left. Crabs was open as Kap was reading left side and then as he started scrambling right Crabs was covered again before freeing himself.

Ugh I'm really bad at posting pics