There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Originally posted by 49erphan:
Thanks a lot for the pictures and animated GIF. Looks like what was mentioned in a later post - Rogers tried to respond to Brooks slipping, maybe for a split second thinking Whitner would cover the deep corner route and then realizing that that was a mistake.

Agreed. It looked like Reid squared up a bit as well as if to pass him off to Rogers (or not expecting Jackson to run beyond him, naturally) and between that and the slip by Brooks (underneath containment), all it takes is a stop in direction for Rogers, momentum vs. a guy like Jackson who's running non-stop to create space like this. And where is Whitner in this formation? I can't imagine isolation on Reid with their best WR; defensive formation/alignment may have had Whitner in the box?
Originally posted by thl408:
I pretty much agree with all your points, but I'd like to amplify on your point Number 6 by mentioning that Baalke also may have landed a couple of very important picks for the the future in Carradine and Lattimore. (And it's possible that in a couple of years Okoye could turn into a very good defensive lineman).

It seemed to me that Bowman didn't play quite as well as he had in the last few games - he may only have been the second best linebacker on the field.

I think the 9er defense basically not allowing the Bucs to run the ball but then also keeping heavy pressure on Glennon was impressive. I hope someone posts an explanation of what happened in the secondary on the Bucs touchdowns. My quick impression is that there is some miscommunication going on back there.

Barber mentioned it during the telecast, too. Blown coverage due to miscommunication.

The look pre-snap:
[snip picture]

Reid will be providing double coverage on VJackson at the top of the scren. Here, Brooks hasn't slipped and fallen yet. But when he does, it causes Rogers to defend the WR in front of him. Thus allowing Wright to sneak in behind Rogers just as Whitner is passing the coverage assignment over to Rogers' part of the field.
[snip picture]

The replay on the telecast was in slo-mo and I am restricted to use only GIFs under 5MB. I had to cut off the QB dropback, but wanted to focus on the defensive backfield. You can see Brooks slip, Rogers stay with out pattern in front of him, then allow Wright to sneak past everyone.

Thanks a lot for the pictures and animated GIF. Looks like what was mentioned in a later post - Rogers tried to respond to Brooks slipping, maybe for a split second thinking Whitner would cover the deep corner route and then realizing that that was a mistake.

hmm my question is this. Is Whitner playing man or zone? if hes playing man then he might have had Wright alone. Brooks falling down doesnt seem to be big factor. it just meant the TE was open under. Am i wrong for thinking Rogers would still have to account for the throw over brooks to the TE meaning hed have to watch him whether Brooks fell or not? Perhaps Rogers is in zone while Whitner is in man? wouldnt it make sense to trust our pro bowl safety on a WR? it just looks like Wright put a move on Whitner to make him hesitate and then ran right by him. Can someone explain the coverage theyre in?
[ Edited by ruthless49er on Dec 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Hey Marvin, who was that TE/HB/FB that we had early in the season and maybe it was only the preseason, but he looked looked very tough. He would pancake fools in the blocking game. I think his last name started with 'S'. He had a mean streak. Hope he could be the line to fill in for Miller if we need a fb.

I think you would know who I'm talking about. Thx man

?

I'm blanking. Not sure who you mean.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Hey Marvin, who was that TE/HB/FB that we had early in the season and maybe it was only the preseason, but he looked looked very tough. He would pancake fools in the blocking game. I think his last name started with 'S'. He had a mean streak. Hope he could be the line to fill in for Miller if we need a fb.

?

Jason Schepler. We cut him in pre season. Then later we signed Owen (cut him too).
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I was watching the game at a bar with some friends who wanted to catch up so I wasn't super glued to the screen unfortunately.....so apologies in advance:

But did Goldson do anything? Didn't see his name called.

Not really.

came in late for hits and tried to hurt boldin.

didnt work, no flags
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
I pretty much agree with all your points, but I'd like to amplify on your point Number 6 by mentioning that Baalke also may have landed a couple of very important picks for the the future in Carradine and Lattimore. (And it's possible that in a couple of years Okoye could turn into a very good defensive lineman).

It seemed to me that Bowman didn't play quite as well as he had in the last few games - he may only have been the second best linebacker on the field.

I think the 9er defense basically not allowing the Bucs to run the ball but then also keeping heavy pressure on Glennon was impressive. I hope someone posts an explanation of what happened in the secondary on the Bucs touchdowns. My quick impression is that there is some miscommunication going on back there.

Barber mentioned it during the telecast, too. Blown coverage due to miscommunication.

The look pre-snap:
[snip picture]

Reid will be providing double coverage on VJackson at the top of the scren. Here, Brooks hasn't slipped and fallen yet. But when he does, it causes Rogers to defend the WR in front of him. Thus allowing Wright to sneak in behind Rogers just as Whitner is passing the coverage assignment over to Rogers' part of the field.
[snip picture]

The replay on the telecast was in slo-mo and I am restricted to use only GIFs under 5MB. I had to cut off the QB dropback, but wanted to focus on the defensive backfield. You can see Brooks slip, Rogers stay with out pattern in front of him, then allow Wright to sneak past everyone.

hmm my question is this. Is Whitner playing man or zone? if hes playing man then he might have had Wright alone. Brooks falling down doesnt seem to be big factor. it just meant the TE was open under. Am i wrong for thinking Rogers would still have to account for the throw over brooks to the TE meaning hed have to watch him whether Brooks fell or not? Perhaps Rogers is in zone while Whitner is in man? wouldnt it make sense to trust our pro bowl safety on a WR? it just looks like Wright put a move on Whitner to make him hesitate and then ran right by him. Can someone explain the coverage theyre in?

From the looks of it, Whitner is in zone coverage. If he was in man coverage, he showed a very poor sense of urgency in following his man (Wright). He also seemed very content passing Wright off to Rogers' side of the field, as he came to a stop when Wright cut across his face. When I came to my analysis, I assumed a few things based on the film:
- Whitner is in zone (reasons above)
- Brooks is in zone: he didn't follow anyone and turned to watch the QB
- Rogers is in zone: he didn't run with the underneath route or Wright.
- Whitner is very cerebral and won't blow an assignment.

My take is Rogers tries to cover both Brooks' zone and his own and ends up doing neither. At the end of the play, Rogers and Whitner look at each other. Someone was not happy with the other. Pf course, we can only see what happened. We don't know what was supposed to happen.
Originally posted by NCommand:

?

Jason Schepler. We cut him in pre season. Then later we signed Owen (cut him too).

That's him! He showed a lot of potential. Thanks Command. I hope we can make a move for him.
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Gotta give credit to Schneider. He and Carroll have managed to put together a tremendous roster with a bunch of late round picks, esp. on defense.

But eventually if a player is really good, he will cost money. Sherman a 5th round pick but will make 1st round all pro money when his time comes.

The one thing that is unique in Seattle is that they draft mostly for measurables and tailor their team around physical traits a lot more than intangibles and experience. That allows you to get the production from later round guys, and sometimes more consistent. Carroll is good at coaching up players and having schemes that allow them to succeed.

So their roster is strong, but mostly Seattle strong. In their front 7, the only guy I'd want to start for sure for us is Red Bryant. Not sure about Bennett, Clemons, and Avril.....are they better than McDonald? Different system entirely.

You listen to people talk and it's like their front 7 is as good or better than ours. If that secondary wasn't what they are, they would be far from this elite super D.

When it comes to corners, I wonder if Seattle would be better to let Sherman walk? They seem to do a very good job plugging in replacements with no downside. Earl Thomas is the one that they must pay no matter what.

Be awesome if they break the bank for DickSherm and the league starts enforcing all the holding/contact/PI.
Originally posted by buck:
You provide us with one of the better reads each week. Thank You.

This. Excellent read
Originally posted by mickey49:
1) Kap: Another steady game...but there were some real "wow" plays in there. The first deep pass to Vernon was nuts. Vernon couldn't get to it but he would have had he run full out on the entire pattern. The fact that he was scrambling forward and just winged it like that...damn. The MOST impressive plays to me tho were both to Crabtree. First the TD where he waited for Crab to break open...
The thing that bugged me about that play, and I know this is splitting hairs because we got the touchdown anyway, is that it looked like Crabtree was open way earlier in the route and Kap looked right at him and didn't throw it. There's still some hesitancy there throwing to open guys for some reason. Like I said, we got the touchdown out of it anyway with Crabs running around the endzone, but I don't think it had to be that hard, lol...

I thought the same thing. Crabs was open from the start, but Kap just didn't see it or was not confident enough to throw it right away. Luckily , he worked his way open again and Kap made a very impressive throw. I think this was an illustration that Kap is sometimes hesitant to make the throw earlier, even though his target is either open or about to be. Experience will give him the confidence to make those decisions sooner.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I thought the same thing. Crabs was open from the start, but Kap just didn't see it or was not confident enough to throw it right away. Luckily , he worked his way open again and Kap made a very impressive throw. I think this was an illustration that Kap is sometimes hesitant to make the throw earlier, even though his target is either open or about to be. Experience will give him the confidence to make those decisions sooner.

Actually it looked like he was looking to boldin then back to crabs prob when he was covered then back to boldin the back to crabs again for the TD. Watch his his head on that play.
Actually just watched the slow mo replay and he was looking at crabs as soon as he got open
From the looks of it, Whitner is in zone coverage. If he was in man coverage, he showed a very poor sense of urgency in following his man (Wright). He also seemed very content passing Wright off to Rogers' side of the field, as he came to a stop when Wright cut across his face. When I came to my analysis, I assumed a few things based on the film:
- Whitner is in zone (reasons above)
- Brooks is in zone: he didn't follow anyone and turned to watch the QB
- Rogers is in zone: he didn't run with the underneath route or Wright.
- Whitner is very cerebral and won't blow an assignment.

My take is Rogers tries to cover both Brooks' zone and his own and ends up doing neither. At the end of the play, Rogers and Whitner look at each other. Someone was not happy with the other. Pf course, we can only see what happened. We don't know what was supposed to happen.

Looks like Rogers was supposed to stay deep, and should have stayed with the deep man since that's the rule. I think with Brooks slipping it caught Rogers' off guard and then he hesitated.

Then it was too late lol.
That field was sloppy as f**k. I saw several guys slip badly just like the KR fumble that sealed our win.
The Niners are 2-3 plays away from an 11 game winning streak. If McDonald had caught that ball against Carolina, if Brooks wasn't called for the hit on Brees, the Niners would be 12-2 and nearing home field advantage.

This team is very good, however we will now have to win in Seattle to make the Super Bowl.

To win in Seattle the Niners cannot waste timeouts on play clocks winding down, we have to be able to get TDs once in the red zone, we have to hit deep balls on Seattle, like the one Vernon caught yesterday.

I think the offense would need to be simplified for the Seattle game, almost no audibles, we would have to hit on some deep passes, we have to get the lead. On defense I would try and mirror Seattle some and load the box to stop Lynch and stop Wilson from running. Our secondary will have to play lights out.

It will be a battle, but we have to change some things to win up there.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home