There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game

^^So I think because Brooks slipped, it caused Rogers to try and do two things at once. A big 'no no' in zone coverage.
Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 coming out at 255 pounds. He is now around 240 pounds, which allowed him to become even FASTER. Lol that's unreal. Dude is probably a low 4.3s guy now.
Marvin, great job as usual.

I thought CK was particularly clutch on crucial 3rd downs when they were only up by 6. The game could have swung the other way if they had gone 3 and out after Crabtree's dumb penalty. Not just his pinpoint throws, but he also broke tackles and made 1st downs.

LMJ seems much better returning punts than KO's. Maybe it's just that the blocking is different.

When discussing the future with the Seahawk fans, don't forget to remind them that while the future is uncertain, history isn't. We have a great one, they don't.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I pretty much agree with all your points, but I'd like to amplify on your point Number 6 by mentioning that Baalke also may have landed a couple of very important picks for the the future in Carradine and Lattimore. (And it's possible that in a couple of years Okoye could turn into a very good defensive lineman).

It seemed to me that Bowman didn't play quite as well as he had in the last few games - he may only have been the second best linebacker on the field.

I think the 9er defense basically not allowing the Bucs to run the ball but then also keeping heavy pressure on Glennon was impressive. I hope someone posts an explanation of what happened in the secondary on the Bucs touchdowns. My quick impression is that there is some miscommunication going on back there.

Barber mentioned it during the telecast, too. Blown coverage due to miscommunication.

The look pre-snap:
[snip picture]

Reid will be providing double coverage on VJackson at the top of the scren. Here, Brooks hasn't slipped and fallen yet. But when he does, it causes Rogers to defend the WR in front of him. Thus allowing Wright to sneak in behind Rogers just as Whitner is passing the coverage assignment over to Rogers' part of the field.
[snip picture]

The replay on the telecast was in slo-mo and I am restricted to use only GIFs under 5MB. I had to cut off the QB dropback, but wanted to focus on the defensive backfield. You can see Brooks slip, Rogers stay with out pattern in front of him, then allow Wright to sneak past everyone.

Thanks a lot for the pictures and animated GIF. Looks like what was mentioned in a later post - Rogers tried to respond to Brooks slipping, maybe for a split second thinking Whitner would cover the deep corner route and then realizing that that was a mistake.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kap: Another steady game...but there were some real "wow" plays in there. The first deep pass to Vernon was nuts. Vernon couldn't get to it but he would have had he run full out on the entire pattern. The fact that he was scrambling forward and just winged it like that...damn. The MOST impressive plays to me tho were both to Crabtree. First the TD where he waited for Crab to break open and the second was the first down when almost no human being on the planet would be able to complete the pass. Running away from the rush, moving farther behind the LOS, throwing a ball on the run like a dart ACCURATLY to Crabtree on the sideline and placed well enough for Crab to pick up the extra 1 or 2 yards he needed. Seriously, how many QBs in the NFL can do that?

There were still some bad throws. This isn't a Kap lovefest. There were still times when he looked like a young QB. Games like this though just make me wonder how good he's gonna be when he figures it all out.

2) Frank: No joke...Frank needs a rest. I hope they limit him monday night against the Falcons. They can't sit him completely because they need to win, but they need to play Hunter and James more. We can't afford for him to go into the postseason on tired legs and bum ankles.

3) Crab: Getting better every week. Looking more and more like the Crab we all know and love. The frustration play was inexcusable. You don't do that. I do understand it a bit tho. He spent all season rehabing. He gets SOOOOOO overly excited in every game. He needs to calm down and play under control. I'm just so happy to see him right now because it looks like he can be a far bigger contributor than I ever envisioned this year.

4) Aldon: Damn he's good. Even though he didn't get any sacks last week, he was consistantly puching the pocket. The D's gameplan was to keep everyone in their lanes in order to keep Wilson in the pocket so he wasn't going to play like he usually did. He still put Okung on skids several times and pushed him right into Wilson. This week he was playing more like himself and was in a position to get a sack on several occasions. The Bucs were getting the ball out quickly but Aldon still was a broken tackle from 3 sacks and hurried Glennon many more times. He is healthy and motivated and turning it on at the right time.

5) Vernon: Can we all just realize what we are watching? I think we all are just used to seeing him streak past LBs and safeties because he's been doing it for so long. We may never see his like again in a 49er uniform. In his first few years, I never thought he would become a premiere TE. I just thought he was too robotic and didn't run his routes well enough. I was right about those being his problems, but he has transformed himself into something every team in the NFL is envious of...a true TE who can get deep in a hurry. I hope the guy plays forever because I dunno how we would ever replace him.

6) Baalke: This is a continuation of a conversation I was actually having on Seahawks.net. In a thread over there, many Seahawks fans simply see the age of our roster vs theirs and assume that they will stay relevant much longer and will eventually be contending with the Rams for the division instead of us. I can see how they get there. The Seahawks do in fact have a younger nucleus of players. The problem with the argument tho is that it makes the assumption that the rosters remain static. The players that are good will just get older and there will be no replacements. We have already seen that this simply isn't the case. Say what you want about the WR position, but Baalke has fortified just about every other position. He let Goldson walk and got a younger, cheaper, and BETTER player in Reid. They let Sopoaga walk and got BETTER and less expensive with Williams and Dorsey. Looney looks like a decent player. Kilgore will eventually replace Goodwin. Brock looks like a future starter and they have ALREADY extended him. Peeps who spend so much time thinking about the WR position just don't get it. Baalke is one of the best GMs in the NFL and we should be happy to have him.

7) Harbaugh and Texas: Seriously? Not gonna happen

8) Miller: Hope he's not hurt too bad. Boobie will fill in for him, but Miller was becoming a good outlet for Kap.

9) James: Pretty happy with him back there catching punts. He hasn't made too manyb mistakes and there is always a chance he's gonna do something with it when he gets a chance. He always seems to squeeze down the sideline for a few yards when it looks like nothing's there.

10) In their hands: Here we go. All they need to do from this point forward is WIN. I guess you can say that at any point in the season, but my point is that if they just win out here they may be able to avoid Seattle until the NFCCG. Thats the game I want. Nothing would make me happier then sending those fans packing in that game. Its a TALL, TALL, order and may not be doable, but I want to see them get that shot anyway.

1. Agree on Kaep. Since you talked about Davis, I will say this. How do you cover him with a safety?
2. Frank needs to rest. I'd like to see the remaining three get some work albeit now with the Miller injury Boobie may see more time at FB.
3.Crabs is coming on like a West Texas storm. The dark clouds (brooding), the flashes( competitive anger)...now here come the reign (pun intended).
4. Agree, agree, agree and without the cockiness. He's just letting his play do the talking and posing. Play on playa!
5. This guy again? You bet! Kaeps best friend for opening up the short and mid range passes. Defending the 49ers passing game is becoming a headache for the opposition. What is this Revis thing? An island or an std?
6. Baalke trades down and get picks while reinforcing a very solid roster. Sounds like what New England has done for the last 12 or 13 years. Seattle is younger but they are about to get pounded by the cap when it comes time to pay the bill on their nucleus. Then we will see how creative their front office is.
7. Texas? Longhorns? Texans or Cowboys? Sounds hopeless in general. But....no.
8. Bye bye Bruce. We will miss ya! See ya next year! So now, its time to spin, put Boobie in! Time to shut up and do work Boobie.
9. Plays better when he isnt sick and honestly he is so close to breaking something. I see him learning and I see him showing so much effort to keep returns alive. Now, never field a punt inside the 10 and hold on to the ball. After that its easy right?
10. Do you see the cards falling just like 2011? If we end up hosting the NFC champ game I will piss myself laughing at the Seaturds. Looks like we could realistically become the #5 seed of we win out. Thank you Sean and Drew for laying that egg in St. Lou. We control our own fate. Its the only way we want it. By ALL means possible!
Always enjoy reading your weekly breakdowns, Marv. You forgot to give props to Dawson. 4/4 on all of his field goals in an outside away game environment. If that was Akers, well, you know...

...more kudos to Baalke for acquiring him in the offseason. He's been without a doubt one of the biggest difference makers for this team thus far.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
seattles nucleus is young but they cant pay everyone like we cant do, their thing is can their gm find cheaper replacements that will be as good or better like baalke did with goldson in drafting reid.

This.

I see several saying something to the effect of "Schneider (sp?) is a genius...he has a plan to pay everyone". Well, unless he's so smart he has invented a new kind of math, I just don't see it.

That doesn't mean tho that they won't be able to replace more expensive players with younger, cheaper options. He drafted those guys who are looking for big $$$ to begin with...we'll have to see if he can do it again.

Gotta give credit to Schneider. He and Carroll have managed to put together a tremendous roster with a bunch of late round picks, esp. on defense.

But eventually if a player is really good, he will cost money. Sherman a 5th round pick but will make 1st round all pro money when his time comes.

The one thing that is unique in Seattle is that they draft mostly for measurables and tailor their team around physical traits a lot more than intangibles and experience. That allows you to get the production from later round guys, and sometimes more consistent. Carroll is good at coaching up players and having schemes that allow them to succeed.

So their roster is strong, but mostly Seattle strong. In their front 7, the only guy I'd want to start for sure for us is Red Bryant. Not sure about Bennett, Clemons, and Avril.....are they better than McDonald? Different system entirely.

You listen to people talk and it's like their front 7 is as good or better than ours. If that secondary wasn't what they are, they would be far from this elite super D.
Thanks Marv - I think this was one of your best posts.

My 2 cents.

Classy and smart move by Reid not to score the TD and get the D off the field.

Dorsey played very well. Has there been any news on him.

Too bad about Miller - out for the season.

GO NINERS!
Thanks Marvin, totally agree about resting Frank and having him fresh for the playoffs. One thing I was impressed with was the way the running game was used in and out. Frank ran up the middle and Hunter to the outside was very effective. Hunter had his best game and is ready for more touches. Miller will be tough to replace, he made the offense more diverse.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Gotta give credit to Schneider. He and Carroll have managed to put together a tremendous roster with a bunch of late round picks, esp. on defense.

But eventually if a player is really good, he will cost money. Sherman a 5th round pick but will make 1st round all pro money when his time comes.

The one thing that is unique in Seattle is that they draft mostly for measurables and tailor their team around physical traits a lot more than intangibles and experience. That allows you to get the production from later round guys, and sometimes more consistent. Carroll is good at coaching up players and having schemes that allow them to succeed.

So their roster is strong, but mostly Seattle strong. In their front 7, the only guy I'd want to start for sure for us is Red Bryant. Not sure about Bennett, Clemons, and Avril.....are they better than McDonald? Different system entirely.

You listen to people talk and it's like their front 7 is as good or better than ours. If that secondary wasn't what they are, they would be far from this elite super D.

When it comes to corners, I wonder if Seattle would be better to let Sherman walk? They seem to do a very good job plugging in replacements with no downside. Earl Thomas is the one that they must pay no matter what.
Originally posted by Island9er:
Always enjoy reading your weekly breakdowns, Marv. You forgot to give props to Dawson. 4/4 on all of his field goals in an outside away game environment. If that was Akers, well, you know...

...more kudos to Baalke for acquiring him in the offseason. He's been without a doubt one of the biggest difference makers for this team thus far.

Season is feeling more and more like 2011 with the defense clearly being the stronger of the two units and a new kicker really coming through for us.
I was watching the game at a bar with some friends who wanted to catch up so I wasn't super glued to the screen unfortunately.....so apologies in advance:

But did Goldson do anything? Didn't see his name called.
I was watching the game at a bar with some friends who wanted to catch up so I wasn't super glued to the screen unfortunately.....so apologies in advance:

But did Goldson do anything? Didn't see his name called.

Not really.
Originally posted by fryet:

When it comes to corners, I wonder if Seattle would be better to let Sherman walk? They seem to do a very good job plugging in replacements with no downside. Earl Thomas is the one that they must pay no matter what.

I think they are going to end up kinda like Tampa with HUGE $$$$ going to a CB and a FS. That secondary is the strength of the team tho so they will do whatever they can to keep Thomas, Chancellor and Sherman together. I think they've already written off Browner.
Hey Marvin, who was that TE/HB/FB that we had early in the season and maybe it was only the preseason, but he looked looked very tough. He would pancake fools in the blocking game. I think his last name started with 'S'. He had a mean streak. Hope he could be the line to fill in for Miller if we need a fb.

I think you would know who I'm talking about. Thx man