There are 237 users in the forums

2013 - Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
CK out of the pocket! That could be the key to the rest of the season. About time...
Thanks Marvin:

I thought the game was pretty good. Good development of Crab - seems to be getting healthier and back in sync with Kaep. Davis was great. I even thought they were trying to give some different looks with the halfback split out. Now if they thrown it to the HB when he is split out that would be an interesting wrinkle. Celek and Manningham caught a ball a piece but I would like to see more investment in time and throws. I would also like to see Patton replace Manningham if that is all they are going to throw to Manningham. It would at least give Patton more exposure. The other complaint is the failure to score touchdowns in the RedZone. But when all was said and done they won the game.

Special teams is a pleasure to watch and they were productive yesterday and even gave us a touchdown. 10 points in three plays is always a good thing to see.

Defense was very good. Brown got a chance to knock some rust off. We have a full complilment of CBs and they are playing well. Front 7 was fabulous, lots of pressure, and still controlled the ground game. Excellent job.

Even the coaching was good. I can see Roman is still tinkering with the offense and even trying to get Hunter and James involved. Would be nice if they could blow out Atlanta and give more time to developing the rookiers and to get Hunter and James, Celek, and McDonald more time and reps.

Good game and our destiny is in our hands.
Kap's ability to throw long is all but wasted on the present set of receivers. The TD throw to VD was perfect. The previous long throw to VD was a tad long, but VD didn't even dive for it as a more agile player usually would have. The cause for a legitimate #1 fast receiver was never more clear.
I agree with the throws you mentioned being great, but the most impressive IMO was the out pattern to Crabs. Not sure what down it was, but about 12 yards perfectly and he had to project it over the LB in a tiny window. He couldn't just power it in there. He usually likes to rifle it in there, but on this throw he had to arch it in perfectly. It was special
Originally posted by sacniner:
I agree with the throws you mentioned being great, but the most impressive IMO was the out pattern to Crabs. Not sure what down it was, but about 12 yards perfectly and he had to project it over the LB in a tiny window. He couldn't just power it in there. He usually likes to rifle it in there, but on this throw he had to arch it in perfectly. It was special

I remember that one. Good sign of growth
Originally posted by Marvin49:

6) Baalke: This is a continuation of a conversation I was actually having on Seahawks.net. In a thread over there, many Seahawks fans simply see the age of our roster vs theirs and assume that they will stay relevant much longer and will eventually be contending with the Rams for the division instead of us. I can see how they get there. The Seahawks do in fact have a younger nucleus of players. The problem with the argument tho is that it makes the assumption that the rosters remain static. The players that are good will just get older and there will be no replacements. We have already seen that this simply isn't the case. Say what you want about the WR position, but Baalke has fortified just about every other position. He let Goldson walk and got a younger, cheaper, and BETTER player in Reid. They let Sopoaga walk and got BETTER and less expensive with Williams and Dorsey. Looney looks like a decent player. Kilgore will eventually replace Goodwin. Brock looks like a future starter and they have ALREADY extended him. Peeps who spend so much time thinking about the WR position just don't get it. Baalke is one of the best GMs in the NFL and we should be happy to have him.

I pretty much agree with all your points, but I'd like to amplify on your point Number 6 by mentioning that Baalke also may have landed a couple of very important picks for the the future in Carradine and Lattimore. (And it's possible that in a couple of years Okoye could turn into a very good defensive lineman).

It seemed to me that Bowman didn't play quite as well as he had in the last few games - he may only have been the second best linebacker on the field.

I think the 9er defense basically not allowing the Bucs to run the ball but then also keeping heavy pressure on Glennon was impressive. I hope someone posts an explanation of what happened in the secondary on the Bucs touchdowns. My quick impression is that there is some miscommunication going on back there.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Great post as usual. Maybe you or someone can comment on the seemingly increased number of times Miller is getting targeted, why was this not done sooner when we didn't have Crabs?
How would you guys rate the offensive line's performance against the Bucs? To my eyes it felt like Kaep never had much time to set and throw all day. In fact, it was Kaepernick's improvising that saved the offense a more than 1 occasion. Play calling perhaps?
Originally posted by bzborow1:
How would you guys rate the offensive line's performance against the Bucs? To my eyes it felt like Kaep never had much time to set and throw all day. In fact, it was Kaepernick's improvising that saved the offense a more than 1 occasion. Play calling perhaps?

I honestly cant say whether it was kap improvising the olines failures or play calling causing the oline not to be set for pass protection, but they did look pretty bad at times and would have been a pure pocket passers worst nightmare.
-We should be throwing deep to V. Davis at least 2x per game.
-We should be getting Hunter more carries these last 2 weeks, maybe even LMJ in at RB or Slot
- We should be calling a handful of plays each game having Kaep rolling out and moving the pocket. (see the TD pass to V. Davis vs. Saints a few weeks ago).
-We should call 1 or 2 designed Kaep runs early in games to make the LBs and S hesitate.

When i look at our offense I see last years team in the playoffs putting up 30+ pts a game. We have a mobile QB with rocket arm, multiple RBs, top O-line, and added Boldin this year. There is no reason we should be settling for FGs in red zones anymore.

What's Bruce Miller's status? Stinger or injury?
Originally posted by Joecool:
What's Bruce Miller's status? Stinger or injury?

likely out for the season
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
-We should be throwing deep to V. Davis at least 2x per game.
-We should be getting Hunter more carries these last 2 weeks, maybe even LMJ in at RB or Slot
- We should be calling a handful of plays each game having Kaep rolling out and moving the pocket. (see the TD pass to V. Davis vs. Saints a few weeks ago).
-We should call 1 or 2 designed Kaep runs early in games to make the LBs and S hesitate.

When i look at our offense I see last years team in the playoffs putting up 30+ pts a game. We have a mobile QB with rocket arm, multiple RBs, top O-line, and added Boldin this year. There is no reason we should be settling for FGs in red zones anymore.

LMJ has been sent out wide multiple times but it seems most of those play either has a designated reciever already or the oline breaks down. Im not totally convinced we even habe a redzone plan on this offense but i would like to see a couple more jumbo sets like the td pass to vernon even out of the redzone i could see it working because with us everyone associates the jumbo set for us as a run play.
Another positive thing I saw in yesterday's game is seeing LMJ on the field getting game reps at RB and slot. I think we're finally starting to open up the playbook going into the playoffs.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I pretty much agree with all your points, but I'd like to amplify on your point Number 6 by mentioning that Baalke also may have landed a couple of very important picks for the the future in Carradine and Lattimore. (And it's possible that in a couple of years Okoye could turn into a very good defensive lineman).

It seemed to me that Bowman didn't play quite as well as he had in the last few games - he may only have been the second best linebacker on the field.

I think the 9er defense basically not allowing the Bucs to run the ball but then also keeping heavy pressure on Glennon was impressive. I hope someone posts an explanation of what happened in the secondary on the Bucs touchdowns. My quick impression is that there is some miscommunication going on back there.

Barber mentioned it during the telecast, too. Blown coverage due to miscommunication.

The look pre-snap:

Reid will be providing double coverage on VJackson at the top of the scren. Here, Brooks hasn't slipped and fallen yet. But when he does, it causes Rogers to defend the WR in front of him. Thus allowing Wright to sneak in behind Rogers just as Whitner is passing the coverage assignment over to Rogers' part of the field.

The replay on the telecast was in slo-mo and I am restricted to use only GIFs under 5MB. I had to cut off the QB dropback, but wanted to focus on the defensive backfield. You can see Brooks slip, Rogers stay with out pattern in front of him, then allow Wright to sneak past everyone.

Share 49ersWebzone