There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Did Harbuagh intentionally force Kap out of his comfort zone early in the season?

i think he forced him to stay in the pocket early on to learn to read defenses and get used to pressure so hes not panicking when theres a rush. looks like he was really calm yesterday even when people were chasing him and he extended a bunch of plays for huge gains
I still think we're saving the Kaep of 2012 for the playoff run and not trying to expose too much during the season
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
I think Roman is less potato now.

I saw slant routes and passes designed for backs last game. That crap needs to be called when a good defense puts 8+ in the box.

I hope they are just tinkering before playoffs and kept plays intentionally out
calling one good game or two or three good quarters , the way he should be calling plays all the time, does not excuse him. he is the reason we are fighting for our lives right now due to the fact he personally lost us the colts game and panthers game in my opinion.

I will never say Roman is a good OC every again. He's a dumbass who out thinks himself and gets luck from time to time which makes him look brilliant. He's the NFL OC version of pyrite.
I don't believe they've been trying to force Kaep into a particular model. I think what we are seeing is what Wilson has been working with all season. The receivers are trying to get open once their rout completes. Keap isn't looking at KW with his hands on his hips (or running out the back of the end-zone).

One of the most infuriating things I've come to realize is the receivers running routs with very little creativity; just going through the motions. Crabtree isn't just making big time catches, he's getting open with moves and NOT giving up at the end of the rout. I'm starting to see the other receiving members taking notice and at least attempting to do the same thing.

Just my thoughts.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

BTW, I'm secretly enjoying the fact that around the league.....Kaep is not in talks of being a top 10 QB while people are warming up to the idea that Wilson is a legit MVP candidate.

That's because he isnt a top 10 QB, he's barely a mid table candidate. Take of the homer glasses and it's obvious I'm afraid. All that's really left now he's had his natural flair coached out of him is a marketing tool based on last season's SB appearance.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think he forced him to stay in the pocket early on to learn to read defenses and get used to pressure so hes not panicking when theres a rush. looks like he was really calm yesterday even when people were chasing him and he extended a bunch of plays for huge gains

Well it sure didn't work. For about six games in a row Kaepernick was out of the pocket and scrambling as soon as his back foot got set.
Originally posted by kem99:
No, the 49ers biggest concern is winning games and winning the SB. The easiest way to do that was to win the division and get home field advantage. The 49ers had to know that Seattle was going to put up a very good record, so to win the division, they would have to put up a record better than last year.

The 2 largest contributors to Kap's struggles were the loss of Crabtree and the league having time to study Kap and take him out of his comfort zone.

This would have been a very different season offensively if Crabtree had not gotten hurt. You only have to look at how Andrew Luck's numbers and consistency have taken a tumble since Reggie Wayne got hurt. Luck is talked about as being the best and most advanced young QB in the NFL now and perhaps ever. If he has struggled with the loss of Wayne, it makes sense that Kap would struggle more with the loss of Crabtree given that Kap is not as far along as Luck in terms of his overall development, reading defenses, etc.

The league adjusting to Kap has been the next largest contributor. The league, not Harbaugh, took Kap out of his comfort zone, caused him to lose some confidence and its taken a while to get back to where he was. It is worth noting that the same thing happened to Cam Newton last year. He had his record setting rookie year, struggled for much of last season and then came on the last 4-5 games, which led to him having a comeback type season this year. The league adjusted to Newton and it took him awhile to adjust back. The league adjusted to Kap and it took awhile to adjust back, made longer because of the loss of Crabtree.

I like this one better. The OP just seems silly. You are pretty much saying Harbaugh was throwing winnable games so Kaep could get some "practice." We needed to win those 4 games we lost and Harbaugh would never in his right mind limit Kaep.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I think some of tha problem is kaep is alway lookin for tha perfect play N perfect open pass ...itz just not always like that toss it up N trust ur WR ...

I can't buy in to that....

CK throws to many max RPM throws to seriously covered WRs to often.

He ignores open players to get the ball to Crabs or Quan to often....

He throws passes he should just not throw and he gets away with it becuase of elite ball velocity.

I think the guy is just a young QB that has serious trust in his arm...he will out throw the system vs taking what the system gives him.

When I was his age...I would ride a wheelie down the beach for a mile at a time...he throws passes with heat that few guys in the league can throw...he is showing off...
I would suggest the following facts are true:

1. We know that Kaepernick is a young QB, and that the coaching staff is still molding him.

2. We know that the coaching staff has instructed Kaepernick to run less.

3. We know that the coaching staff is absolutely fine with "hiding their cards" until the right time. Two examples, a) the read-option last year...it was working so the coaching staff put it on ice until the playoffs, b) the Gore fun in the Seattle game...Roman stated it was in the playbook for a long time and they were waiting for the right time to use it.

4. We know that Kaepernick has appeared more comfortable outside of the pocket, and is often capable of escaping out of the pocket.

5. At the beginning of the year he stayed in the pocket a lot, didn't run as much, and didn't roll out as much.

I honestly wonder if the coaching staff decided to force (other words could be "train" or "teach" or "develop") Kap to improve his pocket skills by instructing him to run less and stay in the pocket, and are now allowing him greater flexibility to "do his thing." The coaching staff certainly wouldn't feel like they were throwing games, especially after Kap's week 1 performance.

I don't think it is as simply as "the league adjusted to Kap" because Kap's style of play was vastly different at the beginning of the season.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I think that Kap will go to the next level when he begins to consistently throw to his receivers prior to their break. He needs to trust his seasoned guys (Crab, Boldin, Davis and Manningham) to be where they are suppose to be when they break. We all know what Kap can do when the play breaks down. To get to that elite level, he has to throw and trust his guys before the break.

People said the same thing about Alex Smith when he was here.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I think that Kap will go to the next level when he begins to consistently throw to his receivers prior to their break. He needs to trust his seasoned guys (Crab, Boldin, Davis and Manningham) to be where they are suppose to be when they break. We all know what Kap can do when the play breaks down. To get to that elite level, he has to throw and trust his guys before the break.

People said the same thing about Alex Smith when he was here.

Kap has been trusting his guys before the break more often lately. The Crabtree/interception against Seattle is a prime example.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Great perspective, and the 49er believer/homer in me wants to believe it 100%!

If you look at the first Chicago game, he was hitting multiple reads and doing stuff that supposedly we were hoping to eventually see this season, lol.

There's probably accuracy in your assessment coupled with sophomore slump at play as well.

BTW, I'm secretly enjoying the fact that around the league.....Kaep is not in talks of being a top 10 QB while people are warming up to the idea that Wilson is a legit MVP candidate.

Can't wait to see our boy surpass Wilson in the playoffs yet again.

Yeah, I can't believe Wilson is even being considered as an MVP. Manning has like 91 TD passes.

Wilsin isn't even the MVP of his team. That dishonor belongs to Skittles.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM ]
I wouldn't say Harbaugh forced him out of his comfort zone, but is rather easing him into being a drop-back passer. It's clear Kap is far more comfortable and effective throwing off play-action and designed roll outs. Problem is, you can't call those all game. You have to set them up with the run. There are times when Kap has to be effective as a drop back passer. Scan the field, find the open man, deliver the football. This is where he really needs to improve.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
I believe that entering the season, Harbaugh wanted to see how far along Kap was as a passer. He had strung together quite a run in his first year, and looked like he might be ready.

I think they started him out throwing a career high 39 times against GB. He threw for 412 yds and 3 TD's. The next 2 weeks didnt go so well, and he completed under 50% of his passes for 150 yds or less in both games, with 4 total picks and 0 TD's, despite throwing the ball 55 times in those 2 games.

From there I think Harbaugh realized he wasnt ready to take on that much as a passer, and tried to get back to the roots of the 'Alex Smith' system by leaning on the running game, and limiting mistakes.

It might also have had to do with Harbaugh realizing that with Crabtree missing, Kap wasnt going to be the same guy he was in 2012. Since Crabtree came back, Kap has now throw it 28, 29, and 29 times in 3 games for 653 yds and 4 TD's. He had previously been throwing 23, 15, 21, 16, 22, etc. times in each game.

it's not really attempts its the types of attempts and balanced running

if you throw it out of 2te 1wr sets like he did for 2 games in a row against the panthers and new orleans the numbers reflect that.

if you give him some options
the numbers reflect that as well.

types of plays matter as well.

look at what charles did yesterday off of 5 yard passes
you don't think hunter and james could do that 1 time a game if given a real chance to ?

1 time EACH
It would be more likely that Harbaugh has limited the offense to provide CK with managable game plans, and that he has added to these game plans as CK and the rest of the players absorbed them. That happened in his first year here with Smith and it seems a likely scenario. The fact that CK can't hit a simple short pass consistently would lend some credence to this careful scripting. Give him more and more each game until he starts connecting regularly.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM ]