There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from Seahawks Game coaches film

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
but if he makes the right throw there which is leading crab, that's a td.
i know earl thomas is fast but he ain't that fast. there would be no way he could have gotten over and made a play on the ball. the only option would be to hold crab if he lays it out there

The throw needed to have been to the outside, it was too underthrown, it was just an errant pass where I think he was worried about reigning his throwing power in and not overthrowing Crabtree and the ball ending up out of bounds. Could also be that Crabtree didn't run the route he was necessarily supposed to run.
Wow. The best thread ever. I still love you Marvin, but this was absolutely awesome! Thanks!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's frustrating because if you look through that game, there were some pretty good calls and there were some questionable ones, it comes down to consistency and being able to utilize all the weapons that are available.


Crabtree, Boldin and VD, there is no defense in the NFL that can shut down all of 3 of those guys. You can shutdown one, you can shutdown two maybe, but not all 3. Seattle is supposedly the best defense in the NFL, the best secondary with the bonus ability of being allowed to hold illegally without consequence and Boldin still had a very good game against them. I think with Miller coming out of the backfield, what they truly need is one more guy to step up as a dependable receiving threat, whether that be Manningham, McDonald or Patton, they need one guy who can make some big receptions and further stretch defense's out. If they can do that, have more consistently in the playcalling, attack a defense's weaknesses, they'll be looking very good heading into the playoffs.

for whatever reason roman doesn't like to spread the wealth. its reflective in the snaps that the guys get

if you're only getting 10% of the snaps and 5% of those snaps are run plays?

if you're a hunter and you only get 10 snaps and virtually none of them call for you to leak out and make a play? its difficult.

some of the calls kill momentum. 3rd and 2, read option plays for 6 yard losses.. that's a predictable formation/down/call and the result showed it.

quick snapping on 3rd and 1 near the goal line...resulting in the o line totally whiffing on blocks and resulting in a loss and a field goal when you run the same play 2 times later...with the line set and it works easily both times.. makes me scratch my head
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tondiman:
On this play they have 7 guys covering our 3..7 guys!!!! everyone is double teamed....and then some. Why wouldn't kaep scramble to the right where no one is there is beyond me. This sh!t worries me more than playing up in Seattle. If we make these BASIC plays, we not only win but we dominate.

Another issue...why there are there only 3 receiving targets in that situation? Because of that, Seattle is allowed to cheat and basically have 3 guys closing in on Crabtree, cheating like crazy on coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have extra men on the field
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The throw needed to have been to the outside, it was too underthrown, it was just an errant pass where I think he was worried about reigning his throwing power in and not overthrowing Crabtree and the ball ending up out of bounds. Could also be that Crabtree didn't run the route he was necessarily supposed to run.

i'll put that one on kap. because looking at the play live and in review, he beats the double coverage. thomas is in no position to make a play. he throws it up to the outside lays it out there that's a td all day. that's something i think he's going to have to adjust to. boldin isn't running by anyone, so that throw to boldin is the right throw he'll get no separation, so just stop on a dime and get the catch

crab however even at 80% is using his speed and technique and getting BY the defenders.. like a vd would do. so it's a case of 1 guy with no room and unless he's really wide open when you throw it you have to fit it in

whereas crab has the if he's even he's actually a step ahead or gone type of game where he could have sped past the db blocked him out and caught the td.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by tondiman:
On this play they have 7 guys covering our 3..7 guys!!!! everyone is double teamed....and then some. Why wouldn't kaep scramble to the right where no one is there is beyond me. This sh!t worries me more than playing up in Seattle. If we make these BASIC plays, we not only win but we dominate.

but if he makes the right throw there which is leading crab, that's a td.
i know earl thomas is fast but he ain't that fast. there would be no way he could have gotten over and made a play on the ball. the only option would be to hold crab if he lays it out there

On the broadcast I heard Kaep audible. From the pre-snap read it looks like he thought they were going to blitz and thinking he had 1-1 coverage, so he changes the play where he keeps Miller and Gore in to block, he went for the shot over the top. The throw, to me, considering how little room he had to the sideline, he would have had to make a PERFECT, throw. the moment he saw seattle drop into coverage instead of blitz, he should've abandoned the play and gone for the run out to the right.
gem of a thread
Hey JonnyDel, are you a former coach or somthing? Your insight and knowledge are off the charts.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
for whatever reason roman doesn't like to spread the wealth. its reflective in the snaps that the guys get

if you're only getting 10% of the snaps and 5% of those snaps are run plays?

if you're a hunter and you only get 10 snaps and virtually none of them call for you to leak out and make a play? its difficult.

some of the calls kill momentum. 3rd and 2, read option plays for 6 yard losses.. that's a predictable formation/down/call and the result showed it.

quick snapping on 3rd and 1 near the goal line...resulting in the o line totally whiffing on blocks and resulting in a loss and a field goal when you run the same play 2 times later...with the line set and it works easily both times.. makes me scratch my head

I'll show this play, It was actually good game-planning by Seattle.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
On the broadcast I heard Kaep audible. From the pre-snap read it looks like he thought they were going to blitz and thinking he had 1-1 coverage, so he changes the play where he keeps Miller and Gore in to block, he went for the shot over the top. The throw, to me, considering how little room he had to the sideline, he would have had to make a PERFECT, throw. the moment he saw seattle drop into coverage instead of blitz, he should've abandoned the play and gone for the run out to the right.

i can agree with that. but we know he trusts crab completely. so right or wrong he's throwing it to him. probably should have run and slide, however the throw that was required is one that he could and should make. bad play all around from his end and those things happen.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Look at about 5:06 of the 3rd quarter, I thought that was one of Kaepernick's best plays of the game. He snapped the ball, scanned the field, look all the way across, looked at VD who I thought was the intended receiver, he was covered, looked back to the left, came back to center and used his feet to buy time while looking down field and delivered a very nice pass to Boldin.




Around 14:10 of the 3rd, there was a very good passing play called for Crabtree, Seattle was having their defensive backs play back, Crabtree motioned as he was going to run ahead, made a cut, went right, caught the pass and was wide open due to Boldin pulling the defensive back to the outside, freeing up space for Crabtree inside, just a well-designed play, one of the better passing plays I saw. Kaepernick to his credit simply gunned the ball in there with no hesitation.

This was a really well designed play and call by Roman



This is a designed play to Crab, they use Boldin as a decoy to pull the inside defender out just enough to get Crab by. Seattle isn't playing man, you see Maxwell drop back instead of trying to go with Crab, the LB has flat responsibility, so when he sees Boldin cut out he follows and turns into a blocker. Seattle brings 5 on the rush and Roman caught em, by only dropping 6 into coverage they don't have anyone to fill that slant zone.



The play developing



You can see here that this was a designed, 3 step drop, quick pass play. Staley is cutting the DE on that side to open the passing lane.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
for whatever reason roman doesn't like to spread the wealth. its reflective in the snaps that the guys get

if you're only getting 10% of the snaps and 5% of those snaps are run plays?

if you're a hunter and you only get 10 snaps and virtually none of them call for you to leak out and make a play? its difficult.

some of the calls kill momentum. 3rd and 2, read option plays for 6 yard losses.. that's a predictable formation/down/call and the result showed it.

quick snapping on 3rd and 1 near the goal line...resulting in the o line totally whiffing on blocks and resulting in a loss and a field goal when you run the same play 2 times later...with the line set and it works easily both times.. makes me scratch my head

I'll show this play, It was actually good game-planning by Seattle.

This is a FB bubble dive. The idea is their trying to attack the "bubble" which is a combo on the 1 technique(outside shade of the Center.



We try and combo the 1 technique but Seattle pulled some gamesmanship here. They slant the line to the weakside. Mebane slants into a 0 technique spot(head up on the center) while Canty #79(I think that's 79) slants from a 4 technique to a 3 technique.



Because Mebane slants away Boone fires out at a guy who disappears, whiffing, Canty is then able to slant right into the hole Miller is diving into



79 is then able to blow up the play
Awesome thread!
Great thread and look forward to more info and opinion, thanks!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Hey JonnyDel, are you a former coach or somthing? Your insight and knowledge are off the charts.

Never been a coach. Really want to though. I absolutely love and am obsessed with football. I played football and became a student of the game. I devour any football knowledge I can, and thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!