There are 205 users in the forums

Analysis from Seahawks Game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by ace52:
Johnnydel, maybe the 49ers should let Mangini go and hire you as a consultant.

Yeah screw mangini. Or he should take Mike Mayocks job.

While that would be super awesome, I do really like Mike Mayock, I've learned a lot from all his different breakdowns
You're better than Mike Mayock. I use to like him, but the last few years I've noticed he b******ts a lot and talks quite a bit out of his ass. He also tends to brag about how much he knows and makes ridiculous claims like how he watched every singe play of this player and that player and so forth.
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Jonnydel, are you a ex Pro coach? or ever coached?

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Jonnydel, are you a ex Pro coach? or ever coached?

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

LMAO!!!!!!! that's hilarious
I LOVE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by ace52:
Johnnydel, maybe the 49ers should let Mangini go and hire you as a consultant.

nah, webzone should hire him, weekly breakdowns, would be awesome, sorry marv, but this is how its done.
It's really informative to listen to how you talk about the game and this is an incredible thread I hope you continue to post and offer your views.

I still enjoy reading the views of many people who are less steeped in technical football analysis and vocabulary, like Marv's, and I hope they won't post any less than they have been.

In NFL stats, our passing game is ranked very low in several categories and Kap actually is ranked 33rd in completion percentage, I believe.

Watching our offense perform, there seems to be a much higher percentage of 3 - outs than other teams. Also less consistent medium yardage plays, so we go hot cold a lot. Like, for example, if frank didn't go 51 yards on 1 play last week, it's unlikely we could have produced 4-6 7 - 15 yard plays to go downfield and get the fg.

Is there an explanation for this? It seems like some thing isn't working.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Thank you so much for your feedack, I've really appreciated all the positive feedback I've received. I wasn't sure how everyone would respond to all my musings. Also, really glad I could help shed light on a lot of this stuff. It helped me too, I thought a lot less of Colin going in to this too but, after reviewing the film have been more steadied in where he's at.

Yup. Deserves a bump. Great thread - looking forward to what he says about Tampa Bay.

Giedi
Quick question jonnydel, where do you rank Roman as far as OC's in the entire league? Thanks in advance.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
This is even better than NFL NETWORK PLAYBOOK. johnydel I believe that Eric Reid is playing better than Goldson at safety for the 49ers is this true or is it just the scheme and players around him doing things better?
Thanks for sharing :-)

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
It's really informative to listen to how you talk about the game and this is an incredible thread I hope you continue to post and offer your views.

I still enjoy reading the views of many people who are less steeped in technical football analysis and vocabulary, like Marv's, and I hope they won't post any less than they have been.

In NFL stats, our passing game is ranked very low in several categories and Kap actually is ranked 33rd in completion percentage, I believe.

Watching our offense perform, there seems to be a much higher percentage of 3 - outs than other teams. Also less consistent medium yardage plays, so we go hot cold a lot. Like, for example, if frank didn't go 51 yards on 1 play last week, it's unlikely we could have produced 4-6 7 - 15 yard plays to go downfield and get the fg.

Is there an explanation for this? It seems like some thing isn't working.

The hard part is that it's not one thing at any one time. I do have to agree with Roman when he said the offense was, "about to pop". There's a lot of moving parts and all season they have been just half a snip away from fully executing a lot of things. There have been plays where the pulling Guard missed the wrong guy by a half a foot on a block that would spring the RB, sometimes the TE will block the wrong guy on a running play, sometimes they run an AR1 with several receivers set to block and either the blocking receiver missed his timing of the AR took a false step and caught the ball a half step later than he should so there's PI on the offense. I think sometimes Kaep doesn't fully understand the big picture of the gameplan in the sense of what they are trying to accomplish with some of their plays to set up bigger plays down the road.

They are really close to bursting out, I really do believe so. The offense as a whole has seemed to be a little out of sync. I think a lot of the whirlwind at receiver has caused a lot of this. Plus Kaep's need for development. There wasn't a lot for him to look back on last season to show glaring weakness in his game like he has had this year, so I do think his growth these past 8 games has been more than what I saw from him in the offseason.

There's a lot of things going on there. Some of it has been that a lot of the playbook from the offseason was based off of Crabs as the primary receiver, then, after the start of the season and the emergence of Boldin and the changes opposing defenses showed, I think Roman had to kind of scrap a lot of what they were going to do and start doing new things to adjust to the situation. When that happens, a lot of the constant repetition from training camp becomes wasted. Training camp is the time to learn how to execute and practice your entire playbook. When you have to take a left turn off of that and install new things during the year, it stunts growth and the development of the offense as a whole.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Quick question jonnydel, where do you rank Roman as far as OC's in the entire league? Thanks in advance.
It's hard to say exactly because I haven't broken down a lot of what the other guys do. Personally, I see him as a lot better than Bevell up in Seattle. Roman is much more creative than that guy. Roman has a great mind for how to execute a lot of staple plays out of different formations to exploit mismatches. He also does a good job of getting the defense to align how he wants them to for the power run game. Honestly, it's easier to coach a heavy zone run scheme. In the end though, a power run scheme tends to be more consistent game to game than a heavy zone run scheme. Like Roman says, "geometry never has a bad day". That's true, but, it requires Roman to be more on top of his game than the D-coordinator. Sometimes we don't see all of his plays working every down, but, the way he sets up his gameplans to set things up throughout the game is good. I think he puts his players in good situations and overall they do pretty well.

I think we 3 and out a lot when we fail to stay on schedule. Roman is a ball control philosophical kind of OC. He's not looking to score on every play, he's looking to keep the chains moving, keep the defense off balance(not just in when they run the ball, but how and where), and keep the opposing offense off the field. This is also part of why we don't fling the ball downfield like the Bucc's will from time to time. After looking at film from the Panthers, Buc's, Falcons, Saints, Rams, Colts, and Lions, I think Roman is better than those guys, save for the Saints. The Buc's do not have a large variety how and where they run the ball, it's pretty straightforward, the Falcon's don't have a huge variety in their passing game, they run a lot of different plays, but a lot of them have the same type of concepts. The Colts probably play the most similar offense to ours, but they still don't have the volume of difference in the run game. This really forces the opposing defense to study up on everything. As the passing game develops, the run game will break free more. But, for the passing game to develop, they have to have success throughout the gameplan. He sets things up throughout the game and the players have to execute from start to finish.

Not sure if this helps but, that's my two cents.
Originally posted by GORO:
This is even better than NFL NETWORK PLAYBOOK. johnydel I believe that Eric Reid is playing better than Goldson at safety for the 49ers is this true or is it just the scheme and players around him doing things better?

I think Reid is playing more disciplined than Goldson. First, I think they are both excellent players. Goldson is more of a risk taker in that, he diagnoses plays well and jumps routes, but he doesn't always guess right. He tends to have quite a number of picks each season but he also gives up more TD's because of his aggressive nature quite a few times as well.

Reid is every bit the athlete that Goldson was/is and probably more. Goldson is kind of like the Matt Stafford of safety play, whereas, he can make great plays and his aggressive style can let him make plays others don't they can also lead him into bad situations. I see Reid as more like the Aaron Rodgers of safety play. Very smart, more calculating in what he does, but a better athlete than most at his position. I think Reid fits Fangio's scheme better than Goldson, and Goldson fits Tampa's scheme better than Reid would. Reid has lapses every once in a while, but, he's a rookie and I think he will become an elite safety very soon.

If I would compare them to some HOF safeties I would say Goldson is closer to a Troy Polamalu and Reid is more like Rod Woodson or John Lynch.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
It's hard to say exactly because I haven't broken down a lot of what the other guys do. Personally, I see him as a lot better than Bevell up in Seattle. Roman is much more creative than that guy. Roman has a great mind for how to execute a lot of staple plays out of different formations to exploit mismatches. He also does a good job of getting the defense to align how he wants them to for the power run game. Honestly, it's easier to coach a heavy zone run scheme. In the end though, a power run scheme tends to be more consistent game to game than a heavy zone run scheme. Like Roman says, "geometry never has a bad day". That's true, but, it requires Roman to be more on top of his game than the D-coordinator. Sometimes we don't see all of his plays working every down, but, the way he sets up his gameplans to set things up throughout the game is good. I think he puts his players in good situations and overall they do pretty well.

I think we 3 and out a lot when we fail to stay on schedule. Roman is a ball control philosophical kind of OC. He's not looking to score on every play, he's looking to keep the chains moving, keep the defense off balance(not just in when they run the ball, but how and where), and keep the opposing offense off the field. This is also part of why we don't fling the ball downfield like the Bucc's will from time to time. After looking at film from the Panthers, Buc's, Falcons, Saints, Rams, Colts, and Lions, I think Roman is better than those guys, save for the Saints. The Buc's do not have a large variety how and where they run the ball, it's pretty straightforward, the Falcon's don't have a huge variety in their passing game, they run a lot of different plays, but a lot of them have the same type of concepts. The Colts probably play the most similar offense to ours, but they still don't have the volume of difference in the run game. This really forces the opposing defense to study up on everything. As the passing game develops, the run game will break free more. But, for the passing game to develop, they have to have success throughout the gameplan. He sets things up throughout the game and the players have to execute from start to finish.

Not sure if this helps but, that's my two cents.
I appreciate the in depth answer jonnydel. I admit that I, like others, haven't thought too highly of Roman at times this year but with the breakdowns and explanations provided in this thread I'll definitely reconsider my opinion about him. I hope that you stick around because you and other posters like Marvin49 certainly raise the IQ of this forum with your informative post game analysis.
Doesn't all this talk of creativity make the Mike Singletary era seem like the stone age?
Share 49ersWebzone