LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 143 users in the forums

Analysis from Seahawks Game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here's some examples of how Tampa Bay tries to disguise and how we can take advantage.

Here Tampa is trying to disguise they're blitz and coverage. Goldson has dropped down into the box while the SS positions for a single high look. However, if he were staying in a single high look he wouldn't be beyond the hash away from the two receiver side.

Post snap the SS rotates down into the box while TB goes into a cover 1- blitz. Goldson drops back as the single high safety.

From this angle you see how the SS if hunching over preparing to fly down. I've highlighted how the Buccs are about to slant a blitz to the weak side.

You see how this worked out for Atlanta. They had a run play off T called. This gave Gonzales a great angle on the DE to collapse the line down leaving Jackson 1-1 with the safety with open space.

Jackson beats the Safety and gets a 14 yard gain. You can see how Atlanta benefits from Tampa's aggressive blitz and walls off the defenders.

More stuff to follow, just keeping the posts smaller.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Johnnydel, maybe the 49ers should let Mangini go and hire you as a consultant.
Here we'll see another example of late safety rotation.

This time they try and show a 2 deep safety look. However, you can see the SS #23 is creeping just a bit.

Here you see they rotate into a cover 3 look, rotating Goldson into a single high safety and the SS #23 coming down. Atlanta runs the ball for a 4 yard gain, I see us as running something like I've highlighted in yellow off of play action to hit Davis in the flat.
  • thl408
Scouting opponents. This thread just got taken to another level of awesome.
Here's some more stuff

Here the SS #23 again is trying to disguise his coverage. He's trying to show that he's in position to rotate over in a single high look, just before the snap he moves more into the middle of the field sorta hunching like he's going to be in single high. However, Goldson doesn't drop very far down and has his feet more set, showing he's dropping back not coming forward.

Post Snap Goldson drops into his deep half while the other safety stays over in his deep half. However, in trying to disguise his coverage he has put himself 20 yards off the ball leaving a lot of ground to cover.

The Falcons stretch the zones horizontally and hit the TE Gonzales in the middle. Because the safety was so far off the ball at the snap he's in no position to make a play. In fact, Gonzales gets another 7 yards after the catch.
More stuff

Here I'll show you what I talked about earlier. How Tampa isolates McCoy on the Guard. From here you see they're in a nickel alignment. The Falcons keep Gonzales in to help but #94 does a good job of forcing a double team to free up McCoy.

You see 94 takes the outside shoulder of the T forcing him to help. This leaves McCoy 1-1 with the Guard who he beats to the outside.

McCoy bursts through getting to Matt Ryan for the sack. Boone is gonna have to play with good technique, we might keep the RB in to help the Guard while letting Anthony Davis take a wider set to take the DE 1-1 with his wide rush
More stuff once again. Here's how Tampa uses 94 all over the place. The play before he forced a double team to free up McCoy, on this play he'll cover a TE out.

Here Carolina goes to a 3 TE set. Tampa uses a spy here on Newton while running man across the board.

Newton fakes a zone read, looking for the TE out on a release

you see Newton is looking to Greg Olsen on the DE but he keeps good coverage.

94 keeps good coverage through the play, Newton tries to throw it out there but there's nowhere to throw the ball. Olsen is a good TE but he's not Vernon Davis as far as speed. We should be able to exploit a mismatch like this.
Now some stuff on how to use the zone read.

Tampa shows a 2 deep look. They bring a 2 back backfield to Newton in the shotgun and motion a receiver to the bottom of the screen.

You see here Carolina fakes a zone read while they run an in/out combo with the receivers to the wide side of the field. Goldson, because of the zone read, peaks into the backfield and never sees the receiver run behind him.

You see farther into the play how Goldson's peaking keeps him from seeing the receiver get behind him. Newton see's Goldson peaking and recognizes the hole in the zone.

Goldson gets beat for the TD. I see us using the zone read throughout the game to set something like this up.
Originally posted by ace52:

Yeah screw mangini. Or he should take Mike Mayocks job.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by ace52:

Yeah screw mangini. Or he should take Mike Mayocks job.

While that would be super awesome, I do really like Mike Mayock, I've learned a lot from all his different breakdowns

jonnydel, what an amazing 26 page tutorial. You have debunked some myths I thot were facts and really given me a terrific insight as to WHAT TO LOOK FOR. Myths debunked:

roman has no idea what the hell he is doing.

kap stares every receiver down.

kap is grossly inaccurate(ok sometimes maybe).

both JH and Roman actually DO have a plan.

wasting 2 or 3 or 4 potential receivers to get one open is wasteful and stupid...not after watching and reading this blog it isn't.

We have to have at least 3 or 4, maybe 5 receivers on every play.

Fortunately I was wrong on every one of those, and man does that ever make me feel good...especially that kap is NOT staring every receiver down, and yes he IS going thru progressions, but still needs work. This was a tremendous tutorial, and incredibly helpful. I also have renewed hope for us in the playoffs. The bookwork going into this for kap, Vernon, the entire OL, boldin, vance, et al...really impressive. Exactly the opposite of what I thot. Also, no more complaints from me re: roman. This stuff is spectacular. Wow.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
jonnydel, what an amazing 26 page tutorial. You have debunked some myths I thot were facts and really given me a terrific insight as to WHAT TO LOOK FOR. Myths debunked:

roman has no idea what the hell he is doing.

kap stares every receiver down.

kap is grossly inaccurate(ok sometimes maybe).

both JH and Roman actually DO have a plan.

wasting 2 or 3 or 4 potential receivers to get one open is wasteful and stupid...not after watching and reading this blog it isn't.

We have to have at least 3 or 4, maybe 5 receivers on every play.

Fortunately I was wrong on every one of those, and man does that ever make me feel good...especially that kap is NOT staring every receiver down, and yes he IS going thru progressions, but still needs work. This was a tremendous tutorial, and incredibly helpful. I also have renewed hope for us in the playoffs. The bookwork going into this for kap, Vernon, the entire OL, boldin, vance, et al...really impressive. Exactly the opposite of what I thot. Also, no more complaints from me re: roman. This stuff is spectacular. Wow.

Thank you so much for your feedack, I've really appreciated all the positive feedback I've received. I wasn't sure how everyone would respond to all my musings. Also, really glad I could help shed light on a lot of this stuff. It helped me too, I thought a lot less of Colin going in to this too but, after reviewing the film have been more steadied in where he's at.
Colin needs to step up into the pocket and make more plays at times and there are times he throws a Chuck Knoblauch pass, but he makes up for it with other dynamite throws throughout the game.

I love the way he was just throwing the ball to Boldin and Crabs and revealing the Seahawks weakness. They have to hold.
Jonnydel, are you a ex Pro coach? or ever coached?
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Jonnydel, are you a ex Pro coach? or ever coached?

Nope, I really really want to coach high school football but I've just never had the right timing cause I've moved around a bit since college. But I study the game a LOT, I love football and played football and have done a lot of studying football in my spare time. All my studying has made me pretty good at Madden as a nice side effect too
Share 49ersWebzone