LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Analysis from Seahawks Game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Looks like the Seahawks took the Giants defensive game plan against us since 2011, and applied the same. 10 guys in the box for the run and play for short to medium passes if the play turn out to be a pass. Defensive line puts on pressure but with some discipline for the run. Fairly effective until Frank broke out a 51yarder Or maybe VD broke out a deep pass. Or Boldin made a 1 arm catch while being held and tackled to the ground. Or Crabtree breaks a couple of tackle after the catch.

I noticed in the pics, Seattle only play 1 safety deep on 1st and 2nd downs, on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long, they go the normal 2 deep.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
This is the TD pass to Vernon, again, this is fantastic "A++" performance by Kaep, to quote Jim Harbaugh.

Kaep gets the ball to VD in a small window(you can see the shadow of the corner on the left of the screen) just before the D-lineman gets to him. This was great timing and poise by Kaep because the DT was coming right at him and he got it to the only guy he could in a small window. Great job Kaep! He moved through his progression and delivered a great pass. These are the plays that give me a lot of positivity towards the guy.

Gotta give the ref (umpire, I think) a lot of credit on this play, too - great timing on his duck. Of course, seeing 90mph-Kap winding up, it was probably a matter of self defense on his part as much as anything. Seriously, though, watching that play in real-time speed, the ref seemed to be right in line with where Kap had to lead the throw which makes it even more impressive that he was able to thread that throw into that window.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM ]
Kaep telegraphing his throws to the refs also

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
So, I have just finished reviewing the coaches film of the seahawks game. Some Very interesting Notes. I will follow with a few posts noting how some of the bigger plays in the game were made and how some big plays were missed. Overall, It was a physical game as we all know. The major positive is that there were more plays to be made and we still won the game.

First, after a review I'll post some of the low hanging fruit.
The seahawks stayed in a single high safety look for all but maybe 2 plays all game. They loaded the box with 8 guys on 90% of the plays. In that, they play cover 3 zone on probably 70% of their plays.

The biggest impact of Crabtree's return against the seahawks wasn't as much about how he made the defense play towards him but that whenever Kaep's first read(if not crabs) was not there he threw it towards Crabs to give him a chance.

The offensive line played a really good game. There are some definite pre-snap reads in the run game that Kaep needs to get better at, but, the Seahawks did do a good job of game planning their defensive line scheme.

When the defense plays sound, fundamental football, they are probably the best defense in the league. As I will show later, it's only when they get away from sound fundamentals that big plays are given up.

I will show in the next few posts some examples of plays

very cool, detailed analysis. if you don't mind me asking, where do you get coaches film from?

I know right, that would be a good tool to learn for Kaep, definitely something that can help him and other qbs.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Jonnydel from your film study who is playing the inside linebacker position better, Willis or Bowman?
Originally posted by GORO:
Good Stuff Jonnydel! I have not been impressed with Roman as an offensive coordinator. Your examples show that Kaepernick is doing a good job of late and Roman probably deserves some credit as well. What has made me mad about Roman is they like to run on the first play or second play. If they pass on play 1 then they run on play two or the reverse order which makes things predictable for a defense. Second thing is they do not throw 3 or 4 plays consecutive to get Kaerpnick in a rhythm the way the 49ers in the glory years would do to get the Qb going.

Can you look at film from last years ram games and see how the Rams were able to defend the 49ers offense with great success?

So, I'm halfway through the 3rd quarter from last years rams game and what I'm seeing is a lot of what defenses were doing to Kaep this year(probably because most D-coordinators went and studied the film from those games when facing him this year). They ran a zone blitz on just about EVERY passing down. They played off coverage and sat and watched his(kaep) eyes. They were one of the few teams that didn't use a "spy" on him. They, instead, blitzed who would've been a spy. When Kaep saw the blitz, he'd lock on to one receiver and either fire the ball out or try and take off. Because of this the Rams shot their DE's wide into a contain type of rush. Because Kaep tended to stare down his receivers they played off coverage and read his eyes. Also Kaep's fundamentals were not that great.

Kaep shows really poor fundamentals on this play(this is from last years rams game)It's 3rd and 3, they have to get to the 30 yd line to get a first down. They motion Gore out wide to run a streak. with Crabtree running a short hitch and Vernon running a short out. Kaep should be reading the LB, if he stays in tight he throws to Vernon, if he runs wide he throws to Crab.

The LB stays in tight with the corner in a backpedal on Gore. He has space to throw it to Davis to get the first down(Gore can act as a blocker once Davis gets the ball) Instead Kaep locks on to Crabtree and tries to force the pass resulting in a incomplete pass.

You can see from this angle he's staring Crabs down

Then when he throws, he doesn't plant and drive off his backfoot which causes he left shoulder to dip, his right shoulder to rise and he sails the pass high(the pass was high and outside(if he were to throw this pass he should throw it low and inside because of where the defender is) but, because of poor footwork and staring his receiver down it's incomplete.

This pretty well sums up the game from last year......
Originally posted by GORO:
Jonnydel from your film study who is playing the inside linebacker position better, Willis or Bowman?

Well, it's tough to say. They both flash when you look at the film. You watch a play for the first time and you go, "who made that play?! they just flashed into the play!" They both make some outstanding plays in the run that are hard to show unless you watch it in real time. Bowman has smoother hips than Willis I would say, his movement in and out of breaks is more fluid. I think Willis is just a hair faster on the film.

Willis was playing better against the run consistently. Bowman did make some great plays in the run and pass game though.

Willis just plays such sound technique and rarely, if ever, takes a bad angle or misread and the speed with which he reads the play is phenomenal.

Bowman is pretty close but he does get himself out of position from time to time trying to be too aggressive - not very often though. It was only a few plays in the whole game.
One Thread To Rule Them ALL!

THIS ONE!

Nice job jonnydel!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
So, I'm halfway through the 3rd quarter from last years rams game and what I'm seeing is a lot of what defenses were doing to Kaep this year(probably because most D-coordinators went and studied the film from those games when facing him this year). They ran a zone blitz on just about EVERY passing down. They played off coverage and sat and watched his(kaep) eyes. They were one of the few teams that didn't use a "spy" on him. They, instead, blitzed who would've been a spy. When Kaep saw the blitz, he'd lock on to one receiver and either fire the ball out or try and take off. Because of this the Rams shot their DE's wide into a contain type of rush. Because Kaep tended to stare down his receivers they played off coverage and read his eyes. Also Kaep's fundamentals were not that great.

Kaep shows really poor fundamentals on this play(this is from last years rams game)It's 3rd and 3, they have to get to the 30 yd line to get a first down. They motion Gore out wide to run a streak. with Crabtree running a short hitch and Vernon running a short out. Kaep should be reading the LB, if he stays in tight he throws to Vernon, if he runs wide he throws to Crab.

The LB stays in tight with the corner in a backpedal on Gore. He has space to throw it to Davis to get the first down(Gore can act as a blocker once Davis gets the ball) Instead Kaep locks on to Crabtree and tries to force the pass resulting in a incomplete pass.

You can see from this angle he's staring Crabs down

Then when he throws, he doesn't plant and drive off his backfoot which causes he left shoulder to dip, his right shoulder to rise and he sails the pass high(the pass was high and outside(if he were to throw this pass he should throw it low and inside because of where the defender is) but, because of poor footwork and staring his receiver down it's incomplete.

This pretty well sums up the game from last year......

Good stuff once again, thanks for taking time to answer my question. 49er beat writers should hire you to show film and analysis of 49er games and film of upcoming defenses they play. Greg Cosell watch out for this guy!
So I had to show this play cause it just pissed me off big time. This was the play in week 2 where Reid got hurt and left the game. Seattle gets away with a blatant hold and that pass should've never happened.

We're going to run a disguised stunt here. Bowman lines up in the B gap and goes after the tackle. Justin Smith takes on the inside shade of the Guard forcing the center to help. Aldon runs around and up into the center spot.

The play is unfolding beautifully, great call by Fangio

The Center recognizes the stunt late and turns and TACKLES Aldon by the neck! If that's not a hold I don't know what is..... Wilson is able to side step and throw the ball over the middle.

GREAT POST!!!! This puts a lot of the speculation away on Kap.

1) Roman is running schemes to get two guys open
2) Colin is making progress but doesn't have 5 reads
3) There are opportunities for this team if the offense keeps improving

By the way Roman works you hope he goes deep into his bag of tricks in the playoffs.

KEEP POSTING THE GAME FOOTAGE, MAYBE IN THE FUTURE WE WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THE WHOLE GAME IN COACH MODE!
  • thl408
Originally posted by SoCold:
the little pics with the patterns
what number is it?

I'm pretty sure it's play #16. This play is an all curl concept, which is a horizontal stretch. This is an attempt to beat zone under as it puts stress on all the underneath defenders. Great for zone under defense.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
GREAT POST!!!! This puts a lot of the speculation away on Kap.

1) Roman is running schemes to get two guys open
2) Colin is making progress but doesn't have 5 reads
3) There are opportunities for this team if the offense keeps improving

By the way Roman works you hope he goes deep into his bag of tricks in the playoffs.

KEEP POSTING THE GAME FOOTAGE, MAYBE IN THE FUTURE WE WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THE WHOLE GAME IN COACH MODE!

I'm still working on getting some of the examples together but, at times, they are designed plays with only 1 intended target, sometimes it's a hi/lo read between 2 players, sometimes it's a wide stretch read between 2 players horizontal and sometimes it's a play designed against cover 3 with an option for man or for cover 2. I'm going to go back and find a great example of progression reads from when AS was here. There was a play in the cardinals game(his last full start for us) where he hit Moss who was his 5th read on the play.
Originally posted by thl408:
what number is it?

I'm pretty sure it's play #16. This play is an all curl concept, which is a horizontal stretch. This is an attempt to beat zone under as it puts stress on all the underneath defenders. Great for zone under defense.

It's actually 26 on your plays. It is a play designed to beat underneath zones however Seattle ran a man-man cover 1 on that play. Those are the recognitions Kaep has to make.
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
what number is it?

It's actually 26 on your plays. It is a play designed to beat underneath zones however Seattle ran a man-man cover 1 on that play. Those are the recognitions Kaep has to make.

Ah gotcha. Both those plays are using the same concept using a horizontal stretch of the field. Like you stated, great for beating underneath zones.
Share 49ersWebzone