LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

Who's Offense did you prefer when they were here? ..Shanny or Holmgrem?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am a huge fan of Shanny's work when he was here , he was a rip your guts out playcaller and attacked downfield without mercy , plus he turned William Floyd and Ricky Watters into bigtime weapons for our attack

Holmgrem was more methodical and ran more of a pure west coast offense , and did a lot of damage with his base packages, our offense was like a razor and would slice you up all day .....and both OC's had great communication with the QB's

It's a tough one, but I guess I'm gonna go with Holmgrem .....what about you guys ?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
who the f**k is Mike Holmgrem?
jim hostler
  • dj43
Do you prefer a Mercedes or a BMW?

Both were very good. I liked the way Shanahan tweaked the running game. He took McKittrick's preference for quick, agile OL (not bulldozers) and developed the stretch game to perfection in Denver.

Holmgren was closer to a pure Walsh clone.

Hard not to like both of them although I would say Shanahan was more creative.
Originally posted by dj43:

Both were very good. I liked the way Shanahan tweaked the running game. He took McKittrick's preference for quick, agile OL (not bulldozers) and developed the stretch game to perfection in Denver.

I'll never forget the two bootleg rollouts to start the game against the cowboys in the NFC Championship game in 94 , Shanny caught em napping twice
Mike Holmgren's offense by a MILE!!! I never liked Shanahan. Even when Shanahan was the O coordinator in the early 90's, the 49ers still used basically Mike Holmgren's offense. Never did the 49ers put Young or Montana in the Shotgun until Garcia came along in the late 90's early 2000's. Gimmie Holmgren anyday.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Mike Holmgren's offense by a MILE!!! I never liked Shanahan. Even when Shanahan was the O coordinator in the early 90's, the 49ers still used basically Mike Holmgren's offense. Never did the 49ers put Young or Montana in the Shotgun until Garcia came along in the late 90's early 2000's. Gimmie Holmgren anyday.

This - Holmgren always called the right play at the right time. He would punch you in the mouth with Craig or Rathman and then throw it deep to Rice or Taylor. I always hoped he would come back and be HC or our team after GB.
JIMMY RAYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I liked them both a lot tbh...but I think they're both past their primes.

We need to stick to younger, more innovative play designers to keep up with the league...Chip Kelly is tearing it up right now!
Bill Walsh

shanny was only with us for two or three years. holmgren lasted longer and was consistently good. both were awesome. holmgren was consistent and shanny turned steve young into a beast.
speaking of shanny, he is having an epic press conference right now on nfln
Originally posted by crabman82:
speaking of shanny, he is having an epic press conference right now on nfln

shanny's problems are due to him having his son as his OC. he cant/wont fire his son who sucks at being an OC and he will either be fired or resign because of this i think. *kicks roman out of a speeding car* we have an open vacancy at OC Mike!
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by dj43:

I'll never forget the two bootleg rollouts to start the game against the cowboys in the NFC Championship game in 94 , Shanny caught em napping twice

Yep, I remember those. I also remember he countered Haley's wide, sweeping pass rush by having Young rush right into the area that Haley had just vacated. I think he did that two or three times, and it just shut Haley down for the day. He had to attack more conventionally and stay at home to protect against the run and just got EATEN ALIVE.
Mike Holmgren's offense was a like a precision machine. You just couldn't stop it. And they had two receivers who were out of this world and Joe Montana playing at a level (from 1989 to 1990) that to me has never been matched.

I liked the creativity of Shanahan's offense, particularly with how Ricky Watters was used. He would just be lined up as a reciever, creating mismatches all over the field.

I honestly can't pick. Every time I decide on one I can easily come up with a counter and go with the other as OC . We are a very, very fortunate franchise.
Share 49ersWebzone