LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

2013 - Week 14: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hawker84:
Enjoyed the post Marv. Very sorry for your loss, they really are part of the family and it's tough when you lose them.

Classy. Thanx.
That's a sweet looking dog man sorry about that.

Do you have any others or plan on getting more?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sorry for the lateness of this, but as I said last night we lost a member of our family Monday morning. More on that later.

1) Kap: I think it's important to keep in mind who they were playing. That's the best secondary in the NFL they were up against. I HATE those guys, and one in particular (more on that later), but they are damned good. Kap tried to make a few of those back shoulder throws that he's becoming adept at throwing in the past few weeks and they were very well defended...and maybe even illegally defended.

The INT...it;s really easy to put that one on Kap and he did so himself, but there is a part of me that wonders if the design of the play was supposed to be that Crab go up over the defender to get the ball. Kap threw one just like it last week to Boldin. What further makes me wonder that is the reaction of Crab himself right after the play and in his tweets after the game. He blames HIMSELF on that one...not Kap.

Anyway...not a great game but by far the best game Kap has played vs Seattle.

2) Gore: Wow. It wasn't the running that has me wowed. It's the SMARTS to get down in bounds. Those small decisions are huge and are all the difference between winning and losing.

3) Sherman: You can always count on good ol' Dick Sherman to say something stupid and act like he knows something nobody else knows. So damn arrogant. So damn false. "This is a glorified practice". "They got the calls". "We expected a blowout". It amazes me constantly how Seattle fans go on and on and on and on about how big a "douche" Kap is and how Harbaugh is the antichrist and then turn a totally blind eye to the biggest a$$hat in the NFL who resides in their own secondary. The guy is good. Check that...the guy is GREAT. For a fanbase that states the 49ers have no "class", its 100% hypocrisy claim that and then support Dick Sherman.

4) Crab: Clearly not all the way back, but making strides. A bit better every week. Still sometimes seems to be playing out of control, but I think that's more rust than anything else. He seems to have much more strength and confidence in that leg than I'd anticipated he'd have at this point.

5) Boldin: Godsend. Still slow as molasses, but just so damn tough and smart. Crab coming back is preventing teams from doubling him and we are going to see more and more of him running open than we did earlier in the year.

6) Bowman: This just in - He's good. The speed that he closed on Wilson with shocked even Wilson. It doesn't look like he's moving that fast but he's flyin'.

7) Dawson: GREAT signing. Remember that feeling of dread last year whenever Akers would trot on the field? Gone.

8) CB: I think it's fair to say that Rogers is playing in his last few games in SF. We'll have to see on Brown. Brock has continued to look really, really good though. Wright is just getting himself back into playing again so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Culliver should also be back next year and I'd expect to see the 49ers draft a CB or 2 to compete.

9) Playoffs: It looks like the 5 seed might be a possibility. Dead heat with Carolina, tho they own the tie-breaker. They still have to play NO again tho. That would change things a bit. Niners look like they'd go to Detroit in round 1 and then go to NO in round 2. Those are both winnable games. The Panthers would have to go into Philly and if they won go to Seattle. That would give the Panthers a shot to knock off Seattle in Seattle. If the 'hawks win, that sets up a 49ers-Seahawks NFC Championship game in Seattle. That could be fantastic. Its a rough game, but it'll be worth the shot to knock them off in their house.

10) Grace: This one is purely selfish and has nothing to do with football. Many of you have already offered your condolences when I mentioned that we were forced to put our Siberian Husky Grace to sleep Monday morning. For that, I thank all of you.

RIP Grace Aspen Steele

Mourning the loss with you, Marvin. We lost one of our most loved cats who had been with us 13 years a month ago. I still expect to see him trot into the room. I can imagine there will be a big hole in the family for a while. Hope the sadness passes soon...
Sad to hear about Grace! We are dog folks ourselves but don't have a specific breed...just whatever needs rescuing.

Some excellent points this week, and I'll even forgive you--someone bumped last weeks note and I was half way through it, thinking you were just a bit off (LOL) when I checked the date of the thread!

The most impact-ful factors as I watched:

1) Bowman's Speed to Wilson! I jumped out of my chair.
2) Gore sliding inbounds...love this guy!
3) STs--Dawson is such an upgrade and James is much better than KW even if he hasn't had many big returns yet. He didn't have an inch of space in this game.
4) Justin Smith was just all over the place pushing the OLine around...great game.
5) CK showed some patience which was needed. he could have tried to hard to make a play and turned the ball over. Nice calm game from the guy.
6) Crabtree and Boldin really complement each other and open things up.
7) Seattle has every reason to have confidence--blowing out SF in Seattle and then losing by a shoe string in SF. Hope the 9ers can put things together much better before they play in Seattle.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Sorry about your animal. They give so much, it hurts to see them go.

I agree with your assessments.

Happy as hell to see our receivers doing stuff and Kaep sitting back and having targets to pick.
Sorry about your Dog...

Long time reader, first time writer...one quick question...Are you a sc gamecocks fan?
Thanks Marvin, sorry about Grace, she was beautiful. Frank came to life, he made some nice runs other than he big gainer. The pass defense has stepped up this season, Rogers, may be gone next year but he's been solid. I agree about Sherman, the Seattle secondary could be called for a penalty on every play. I think Pete uses the percentages with that aggressive approach, if they hold and grab 100% of the time and are flagged 10 or 20% of the time it pays to continue doing it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sorry for the lateness of this, but as I said last night we lost a member of our family Monday morning. More on that later.

1) Kap: I think it's important to keep in mind who they were playing. That's the best secondary in the NFL they were up against. I HATE those guys, and one in particular (more on that later), but they are damned good. Kap tried to make a few of those back shoulder throws that he's becoming adept at throwing in the past few weeks and they were very well defended...and maybe even illegally defended.

The INT...it;s really easy to put that one on Kap and he did so himself, but there is a part of me that wonders if the design of the play was supposed to be that Crab go up over the defender to get the ball. Kap threw one just like it last week to Boldin. What further makes me wonder that is the reaction of Crab himself right after the play and in his tweets after the game. He blames HIMSELF on that one...not Kap.

Anyway...not a great game but by far the best game Kap has played vs Seattle.

2) Gore: Wow. It wasn't the running that has me wowed. It's the SMARTS to get down in bounds. Those small decisions are huge and are all the difference between winning and losing.

3) Sherman: You can always count on good ol' Dick Sherman to say something stupid and act like he knows something nobody else knows. So damn arrogant. So damn false. "This is a glorified practice". "They got the calls". "We expected a blowout". It amazes me constantly how Seattle fans go on and on and on and on about how big a "douche" Kap is and how Harbaugh is the antichrist and then turn a totally blind eye to the biggest a$$hat in the NFL who resides in their own secondary. The guy is good. Check that...the guy is GREAT. For a fanbase that states the 49ers have no "class", its 100% hypocrisy claim that and then support Dick Sherman.

4) Crab: Clearly not all the way back, but making strides. A bit better every week. Still sometimes seems to be playing out of control, but I think that's more rust than anything else. He seems to have much more strength and confidence in that leg than I'd anticipated he'd have at this point.

5) Boldin: Godsend. Still slow as molasses, but just so damn tough and smart. Crab coming back is preventing teams from doubling him and we are going to see more and more of him running open than we did earlier in the year.

6) Bowman: This just in - He's good. The speed that he closed on Wilson with shocked even Wilson. It doesn't look like he's moving that fast but he's flyin'.

7) Dawson: GREAT signing. Remember that feeling of dread last year whenever Akers would trot on the field? Gone.

8) CB: I think it's fair to say that Rogers is playing in his last few games in SF. We'll have to see on Brown. Brock has continued to look really, really good though. Wright is just getting himself back into playing again so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Culliver should also be back next year and I'd expect to see the 49ers draft a CB or 2 to compete.

9) Playoffs: It looks like the 5 seed might be a possibility. Dead heat with Carolina, tho they own the tie-breaker. They still have to play NO again tho. That would change things a bit. Niners look like they'd go to Detroit in round 1 and then go to NO in round 2. Those are both winnable games. The Panthers would have to go into Philly and if they won go to Seattle. That would give the Panthers a shot to knock off Seattle in Seattle. If the 'hawks win, that sets up a 49ers-Seahawks NFC Championship game in Seattle. That could be fantastic. Its a rough game, but it'll be worth the shot to knock them off in their house.

10) Grace: This one is purely selfish and has nothing to do with football. Many of you have already offered your condolences when I mentioned that we were forced to put our Siberian Husky Grace to sleep Monday morning. For that, I thank all of you.

RIP Grace Aspen Steele

First, beautiful dog. Sorry for your loss.
Second, love the analysis but I do disagree with the one thing. I don't think Seattle is the #1 secondary in the league. That other one in San Fran is pretty damn tough.
If you would have put the picture of Grace first, I never would have read your thread.

Damn Marvin, sucks to lose a loved one, she was a beautiful dog. I lost my buddy of 14 years not long ago, it really sucked. My condolences man. If you haven't ever seen them check out Hudson"s Huskies, I so want one of those dogs.
Great write up as usual Marv and sorry for your loss.

1) I put the INT about 75-25 on Kap (75) and Crabs (25) it may have been a pass similar to the one you mentioned to Boldin but it becomes a much less risky (both physically and offensivly) pass if Kap throws the ball over Crabs head instead of behind him. I am happy Kap is beginning to go through his reads more (when he gets time) because it helped us out in a few plays by him continuing his reads and receivers getting a second chance to get open. On another small note about Kap people need to stop complaining about his interviews and pressers. Its really getting old. So old the Cohn's have decided it was story worthy.

2) What bad can anyone really say about Gore because Ive heard the attempts to speak bad about him and he himself has proven them all to be bs. He may have lost a step or two but his phenomenal vision continues to prove speed isnt everything as the RB position.

3) I think you pretty much covered everything that needs to be said about Sherman, other then one thing, yes he looks great and makes some great plays, but how many of those "great" plays can be credited to his foul every play because they cant call them all mentality? Ive seen alot of great CB's and the thing that makes alot of those CB's great is not having to cheat to win... Just my opinion.

4) Crabs is looking good, not great but he is opening up our receiving game alot. Really relieved he is back.

5) Boldin is a beast the juggling catch while being held should be copyrighted to be called the Boldin, because thats been his style all along everywhere he played.

6) Bowman is proof that iron sharpens iron our MLB's are the best in the league without a doubt and Im almost believing Bowman has the upper hand against Pat as the better MLB. I wish they would have had a close up of Wilsons face when he realized Bowman was going to get him and he had no hope of getting away.

7) Dawsen is a workaholic apparently he practices kicking all the time to stay sharp in the crazy winds of candlestick, its definetely paying off.

8) I think the INT at the end of the game has boosted Wrights confidence and his play will elevate from here on out, I mean he just got to seal a game with a pick playing for the team he grew up rooting for he fulfilled a dream I can see him playing much better and possibly staying an extra year or two in place of another vet who plays a mile off the LOS because hes a little too slow to keep up with receivers. I Like Rogers aggresive style but he has not done much to impress this season at all.

9) I think we end up the 5 seed, Carolina just got knocked off there high horse and that can be disheartening and put teams in a funk one minute your untouchable the next people are saying WTF. My ideal playoff picture (being we will be a wildcard barring a miracle) for us would be Wildcard win @ Dallas (revenge for the 90's) Divisional win @ New Orleans (prove the refs cant save your ass in every game) an NFC Championship win @ Seattle to hear the 12th b***h go from the loudest fans in the NFL to sounding like a muted TV, and finally a Classic Super Bowl win against Denver b(gotta keep expecttions high right?)
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM ]
Awwwww... sorry about ya doggie..man,
Originally posted by NCommand:
If you would have put the picture of Grace first, I never would have read your thread.

? Not quite sure I understand what you mean...
Impressive that CK can complete passes to guys who are not open. If something is ever done about this, his stats will be gaudy.

My last dog was a guide-dog dropout who chased cars and got run over twice. At least she didn't take any blind people with her. The bad thing about pets is that you outlive them, but in your life you can make a number of them happy during their life and that is all you can do.
Share 49ersWebzone