Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fans, the best part of playing a top-notch team is that every single weakness becomes glaringly obvious. This is just highlighting concerns (there are positives to many of these BTW and almost all of them can be corrected).
Let's take a quick look and what we need to improve upon to win the Superbowl:
- Gore - is it safe to say he has zero top end speed now and appears to be losing his burst/explosion through the line (that quick first-step burst); to the edges? And catching has dropped for the third straight year. This is more of a point to note we need to start intergrating more Hunter/James into the immediate fold (save Gore). Gore is STILL the heart and soul of this team; best vision ever between the Tackles. We have the weapons to combat these issues AND give Gore some breathers to keep him fressher/quicker late in games and into the playoffs.
- DL - still gets pushed back a good 3 or 4 yards against power running teams; still struggle up the gut esp. in short yardage and in the RZ.
- OL - still gets pushed back a couple yards in short yardage; some pass protection issues and Goodwin may becoming weaker by the game.
- Burning Timeouts - still an issue
- Rogers - call it scheme but it's safe to say he not only couldn't give up bigger cushions (esp. on 3rd downs) but be slower in his breaks; lazy and 1/2-ass effort esp. on tackles.
- Predictable Play Calling - usually we run on first down for nothing and sometimes he changes it up to second downs. We only use an intermediate passing game (handful of deep balls all year long).
- First Down Production - still, this down IS our entire offense. We live in 2nd and very longs.
- Touch Pass - do we not run enough outlets for CK or practice enough for CK to work on his touch passes? 90mph fastballs to Crabtree, Miller x2, Gore, etc.
- CK - tunnel vision/touch pass/look to check-downs; it appeared to be first read (AR1 and 2) all day long again and he struggles pulling the trigger at times (hesitates) esp. on the short receivers where they are initially open. Take it esp. on first downs!
- Redzone Offense Production/Play calling/System - how much freedom is CK given to change play calls? Is he "allowed" to overrule a poor play call?
- The Others - is it sacreligious to use the following in the passing game?: Manningham, McDonald, Hunter, James, Gore, Baldwin, Boldin from the slot, Patton, etc.
- Homefield Advantage - do we have one?
- Refs - still hate us?
- Fangio/Prevent-a-win Defense - off-coverage when we're not getting a pass rush or up by 10, trouble with TE's (esp. the 2nd TE), etc.
- Pass rush? Wherefore art thou?
- Execution/rhythm offense - short yardage, goal line situations, receivers wide open, etc.
- Mental Game - this team has a way of getting the worst (legit) penalties at the worst times. Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot?
- Return Man - sure would be nice to have one, eh?
- Screen passes or "explosive plays"?
- Finishing games/Killer instincts!
- How will we adjust without Miller?
- Our coaches are too f**king stubborn ~ Fred Flintstone
All these still issues...
Why do we get pushed up front against power teams? Smith and McDonald are solid. So is it the NT? Haven't had a solid NT since Sop's career year in 2011.
I'm not sure TBH. But we certainly struggle against power backs for some reason. Perhaps with a 3 man DL (Brooks/Aldon on the edges), inside is where we are getting hammered and wear down?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM ]