There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

On the Road to the Superbowl: Areas of Improvement

Originally posted by NCommand:
Ok guys, I incorporated all of your concerns into the OP. Here is my year-end assessment:
Fangio/Prevent-a-win Defense - off-coverage when we're not getting a pass rush or up by 10, trouble with TE's (esp. the 2nd TE), etc. - esp. over the past two games!Pass rush? Where for out they? - Front 7 seems to be tired and seeing less rotations of Skuta/Lemonier since Aldon came back.

I've noticed this also. Why draft players like Lemonier, when you won't use them. Just play him in the nickel package and give Smith and Brooks a rest every now and then.
Fangio would love to get to the QB using only 4 players but this is not the same pass rush of 2011. When a QB starts getting comfortable like Palmer on Sunday, more creative blitzing is needed.
[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM ]
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Ok guys, I incorporated all of your concerns into the OP. Here is my year-end assessment:
Fangio/Prevent-a-win Defense - off-coverage when we're not getting a pass rush or up by 10, trouble with TE's (esp. the 2nd TE), etc. - esp. over the past two games!Pass rush? Where for out they? - Front 7 seems to be tired and seeing less rotations of Skuta/Lemonier since Aldon came back.


I've noticed this also. Why draft players like Lemonier, when you won't use them. Just play him in the nickel package and give Smith and Brooks a rest every now and then.

Aside from Reid, if you are rookie, you only play if there is an injury. Period.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Aside from Reid, if you are rookie, you only play if there is an injury. Period.

Pierre Paul played often as a rookie with with starters Osi and Tuck. Sometimes subbing for them on passing downs. (I know this because one of my best friends is a NYG fan and was riding his jock as a rookie )

Sometimes Brooks and Smith late in the game just resort to bull rushing and look to fatigued to try a counter move. A few snaps from Lemonier would be helpful.
Aldon can play inside on passing downs, so maybe Lemonier on the outside. I forgot what game they lined up in that formation in the 4th quarter
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Aside from Reid, if you are rookie, you only play if there is an injury. Period.

Pierre Paul played often as a rookie with with starters Osi and Tuck. Sometimes subbing for them on passing downs. (I know this because one of my best friends is a NYG fan and was riding his jock as a rookie )

Sometimes Brooks and Smith late in the game just resort to bull rushing and look to fatigued to try a counter move. A few snaps from Lemonier would be helpful.
Aldon can play inside on passing downs, so maybe Lemonier on the outside. I forgot what game they lined up in that formation in the 4th quarter

100% agree with you! It's more of a poor coaching philosophy here. Too bad we struggle developing players here. They could REALLY pay off later in the playoffs and in the following year!
Originally posted by NCommand:
100% agree with you! It's more of a poor coaching philosophy here. Too bad we struggle developing players here. They could REALLY pay off later in the playoffs and in the following year!
Developing WRs? Yes. D line? No, cuz we got Tomsula. lol He's done a great job with TJE, even though he gets pushed back against a power team. But you're right, it's up to Fangio to rotate the players in and out.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by NCommand:
100% agree with you! It's more of a poor coaching philosophy here. Too bad we struggle developing players here. They could REALLY pay off later in the playoffs and in the following year!
Developing WRs? Yes. D line? No, cuz we got Tomsula. lol He's done a great job with TJE, even though he gets pushed back against a power team. But you're right, it's up to Fangio to rotate the players in and out.

No question. Tomsula is the best DL coach in the game! All on Fangio though re: personnel choices, no question.
Our coaches are too f**king stubborn
Got to score TD's in the Red Zone... not fkn FG's!!!! (Redzone play calling is pathetic)

Need to rush the QB!! At least ttouch the friggin QB!!! Is it that hard to ask of? I mean seriously we can't get any pressure on the QB

Need to block better. Seriously our o-line gets blwon up at the point of impact way too much especially on 2&1 or 3&1.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Aside from Reid, if you are rookie, you only play if there is an injury. Period.

Pierre Paul played often as a rookie with with starters Osi and Tuck. Sometimes subbing for them on passing downs. (I know this because one of my best friends is a NYG fan and was riding his jock as a rookie )

Sometimes Brooks and Smith late in the game just resort to bull rushing and look to fatigued to try a counter move. A few snaps from Lemonier would be helpful.
Aldon can play inside on passing downs, so maybe Lemonier on the outside. I forgot what game they lined up in that formation in the 4th quarter

GEESE??? Seriously? He get's blown uo everytime he goes to the inside
  • ace52
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 328
I think our team is in a better shape health-wise heading into the playoffs this year compared to last, so this may be our best shot at getting #6. Having said that, there are a few things that are of real concern IMO:
1) Offensive playcalling/philosophy: Roman would always show flashes of brilliance in parts of games, creating some plays that produced great results, and then, for some inexplicable reason, shy away from them for the rest of the game. In the first quarter of the AZ game, he showed great creativity in the play-calling, and had the Cards playing on their heels by attacking them with plays like the reverse to Patton. Then, with the 17-0 lead, Roman went into the "cruise control" mode for 2.5 quarters, and his play-calling became more predictable, until the final couple of drives in the 4th quarter. He has to keep attacking teams with an aggressive, creative play-calling for the full 60 minutes. When you play not to lose against people like Rodgers, Manning, etc., more often than not you end up losing.
2) Defensive philosophy: I'm just a fan, with no access to the coaches' film, but from what I could see from the broadcast, Fangio's reluctance to move away from the 4-man rush, and his tendency to have our DBs play off-coverage, once again resulted in letting the opposing team have great success passing the ball against us. I could understand Matt Ryan gouging us for 350 yards, but Carson Palmer (who I don't believe is in Ryan's class, let alone Rodgers') also dropped >400 on our D? I saw Floyd/Fitz having a clean release several times, running free right through our secondary to a vacant spot in the zone and making a catch. This defensive strategy has to change, or the top-tier QBs that we will face will kill us. IMO, our pass rush must improve (and if we have to blitz in order to achieve that, than so be it), and our corners must play tighter coverage, and jam the receivers to throw off their timings.
3) Willingness to adjust: I think our coaches can sometimes be a bit arrogant, in that it seems that they would go into a game saying "this is what we're going to do, and you can't make us change our plan". It seemed like they continued to run Gore right up the middle, into the strongest part of that Cards #1 run D, even though that strategy yielded little success. Why not try attacking the edges more with the faster Hunter/LMJ? Sometimes, going "strength vs strength" may not work, then we should be humble enough to go away from that.

Even though there are some concerns, I definitely think this team is talented enough, and resilient enough, to win it all. We probably have one of the toughest roads any team has had to travel to win a Lombardi trophy (if everything plays out as expected, we would have to beat GB w/ Rodgers, CAR, SEA (in their homes), and DEN with a record-setting Manning), but if we can do it, people will be talking about the 2013 49ers for a long time to come. Plus Harbaugh and Kap will be in the driver's seat heading into their contract extension talks next year if they can win #6 this year, so they should be fully motivated to do so.
Originally posted by wailers15:
GEESE??? Seriously? He get's blown uo everytime he goes to the inside

Just on obvious passing downs if the match-up favors it. If he's head up against a guard, he can use his quickness and long arms. Could be like Justin Tuck.
Originally posted by ace52:
I think our team is in a better shape health-wise heading into the playoffs this year compared to last, so this may be our best shot at getting #6. Having said that, there are a few things that are of real concern IMO:
1) Offensive playcalling/philosophy: Roman would always show flashes of brilliance in parts of games, creating some plays that produced great results, and then, for some inexplicable reason, shy away from them for the rest of the game. In the first quarter of the AZ game, he showed great creativity in the play-calling, and had the Cards playing on their heels by attacking them with plays like the reverse to Patton. Then, with the 17-0 lead, Roman went into the "cruise control" mode for 2.5 quarters, and his play-calling became more predictable, until the final couple of drives in the 4th quarter. He has to keep attacking teams with an aggressive, creative play-calling for the full 60 minutes. When you play not to lose against people like Rodgers, Manning, etc., more often than not you end up losing.
2) Defensive philosophy: I'm just a fan, with no access to the coaches' film, but from what I could see from the broadcast, Fangio's reluctance to move away from the 4-man rush, and his tendency to have our DBs play off-coverage, once again resulted in letting the opposing team have great success passing the ball against us. I could understand Matt Ryan gouging us for 350 yards, but Carson Palmer (who I don't believe is in Ryan's class, let alone Rodgers') also dropped >400 on our D? I saw Floyd/Fitz having a clean release several times, running free right through our secondary to a vacant spot in the zone and making a catch. This defensive strategy has to change, or the top-tier QBs that we will face will kill us. IMO, our pass rush must improve (and if we have to blitz in order to achieve that, than so be it), and our corners must play tighter coverage, and jam the receivers to throw off their timings.
3) Willingness to adjust: I think our coaches can sometimes be a bit arrogant, in that it seems that they would go into a game saying "this is what we're going to do, and you can't make us change our plan". It seemed like they continued to run Gore right up the middle, into the strongest part of that Cards #1 run D, even though that strategy yielded little success. Why not try attacking the edges more with the faster Hunter/LMJ? Sometimes, going "strength vs strength" may not work, then we should be humble enough to go away from that.

Even though there are some concerns, I definitely think this team is talented enough, and resilient enough, to win it all. We probably have one of the toughest roads any team has had to travel to win a Lombardi trophy (if everything plays out as expected, we would have to beat GB w/ Rodgers, CAR, SEA (in their homes), and DEN with a record-setting Manning), but if we can do it, people will be talking about the 2013 49ers for a long time to come. Plus Harbaugh and Kap will be in the driver's seat heading into their contract extension talks next year if they can win #6 this year, so they should be fully motivated to do so.

Very nice post! All fair concerns IMHO
Originally posted by ace52:
I think our team is in a better shape health-wise heading into the playoffs this year compared to last, so this may be our best shot at getting #6. Having said that, there are a few things that are of real concern IMO:
1) Offensive playcalling/philosophy: Roman would always show flashes of brilliance in parts of games, creating some plays that produced great results, and then, for some inexplicable reason, shy away from them for the rest of the game. In the first quarter of the AZ game, he showed great creativity in the play-calling, and had the Cards playing on their heels by attacking them with plays like the reverse to Patton. Then, with the 17-0 lead, Roman went into the "cruise control" mode for 2.5 quarters, and his play-calling became more predictable, until the final couple of drives in the 4th quarter. He has to keep attacking teams with an aggressive, creative play-calling for the full 60 minutes. When you play not to lose against people like Rodgers, Manning, etc., more often than not you end up losing.
.
in no particular order

time management
roman's playcalling
pass rushing/blitz scheme
not playing prevent defense and playing conservative
pass protection
rotating players (esp running backs)


That's all I could think of.
Richard Sherman and seahawks