There are 177 users in the forums

On the Road to the Superbowl: Areas of Improvement

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Another area of concern for me is that Manningham seems to be still hurt and is not a threat and McDonald the TE is not getting involved enough. I would like to see a game were Kaep spreads the ball around enough to get all of the receivers involved. I would also like to see Patton return and get incorporated into the WRs mix. I want to see Kaep expand his view to include all of his offensive weapons. Defense played well. Aldon Smith was not much of a pass rushing factor so I am not sure what is happening for him. Brooks played well but no sacks. But we got enough done to win against a very good team.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
When Gore is at the top of any area of improvement list, i stop f**king reading.

He doesnt need top end speed to be dominate. He just gets it done. Did you see the size of that hole he got through yesterday? Almost any other RB in the league takes a loss on that play.

LMAO!

I explained that one further on a previous page. There are a lot of potatoes in Idaho right? j/k
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Another area of concern for me is that Manningham seems to be still hurt and is not a threat and McDonald the TE is not getting involved enough. I would like to see a game were Kaep spreads the ball around enough to get all of the receivers involved. I would also like to see Patton return and get incorporated into the WRs mix. I want to see Kaep expand his view to include all of his offensive weapons. Defense played well. Aldon Smith was not much of a pass rushing factor so I am not sure what is happening for him. Brooks played well but no sacks. But we got enough done to win against a very good team.

Me too...I think his knee is still trashed. He was on the "questionable" list coming in. And I "hate," like Kyle Williams, how HaRoMan are using him. Yeah, lets make a guy coming back from a shredded knee, block on the edges in our run game and fist fight with 6'3" CB's. How about you put him in the slot, give him a clean release and hit him in stride/in space and see what happens!
Fangio's defense also seems vulnerable to the second TE. At first I thought that Willis missed his assignment, but I think #52 might be too instinctive for that. Perhaps Fangio didn't gameplan for a TE not named Zach Miller. Adequate adjustments were made, but digging yourself out of a hole in the playoffs is not ideal.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Our Red Zone performance SUCKS!!! This game wouldn't have been even close if we scored TD's there.

Actually, the 9ers offense is ranked 7th in red zone TD scoring (although oddly, they are much better in the red zone on the road than at home). They were up against a team that is ranked 3rd in red zone defense (in the last three games only the 9er defense has been better than Seattle's at stopping TD scores in the red zone).
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by tackleon:
No there wont be any threats to the refs, but mostly the refs don't throw flags about ticky tack contact against the home team. A good example was yesterdays game.. You guys got away with so much, while we were flagged for any little contact.

The point is, indeed you guys gave it your absolute best yesterday and considering it was your home and every call was in your favor, and still only beat us by 2.. Thats not something I'd be too positive about, nor looking to go to Seattle in a playoff atmosphere.

Seattle defensive coaching instructs DBs to hold on every play, if they are caught, they call it Ticky Tack.

Belichick Patriots in the playoffs and beyond, hold (OL and DBs) considerably more knowing the refs calls less (trying not to influence the game) in big games. Carroll has just defined all games big, in this regard and is really pushing the envelope. And getting away with it (it helps the Seahawks way more than hurts).

But as pointed out earlier in this thread, why don't we also play this style (if cheating is now allowed, lets cheat).

Refs don't want to determine outcomes, especially in big games. They also don't like to lose control of a game. In one case they call less penalties in the other they call more. We force the latter. Let refs think they are losing control, they will gain it back, with them little yellow flags.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
When Gore is at the top of any area of improvement list, i stop f**king reading.

He doesnt need top end speed to be dominate. He just gets it done. Did you see the size of that hole he got through yesterday? Almost any other RB in the league takes a loss on that play.

LMAO!

I explained that one further on a previous page. There are a lot of potatoes in Idaho right? j/k

Like i said, tldr when i saw gore on the list. Im aware of the running joke though.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
did we run a screen pass vs. seattle?

Do the Niners ever run a screen pass? It is either a wheel route to Miller or a very infrequent check down to Gore if they ever throw to our RB's.
  • thl408
Fans, the best part of playing a top-notch team is that every single weakness becomes glaringly obvious. This is just highlighting concerns (there are positives to many of these BTW and almost all of them can be corrected).

Let's take a quick look and what we need to improve upon to win the Superbowl:
  • Gore - is it safe to say he has zero top end speed now and appears to be losing his burst through the line? And catching has dropped for the third straight year.
  • DL - still gets pushed back a good 3 or 4 yards against power running teams; still struggle up the gut esp. in short yardage and in the RZ
  • OL - still gets pushed back a couple yards in short yardage; some pass protection issues and Goodwin may becoming weaker by the game
  • Burning Timeouts - still an issue
  • Rogers - call it scheme but it's safe to say he not only couldn't give up bigger cushions (esp. on 3rd downs) but be slower in his breaks; lazy and 1/2-ass effort esp. on tackles.
  • Predictable Play Calling - usually we run on first down for nothing. This game HaRoMan moved it to second downs. We only use an intermediate passing game.
  • First Down Production - still, this down IS our entire offense. We live in 2nd and very longs.
  • Touch Pass - do we not run enough outlets for CK or practice enough for CK to work on his touch passes? 90mph fastballs to Crabtree, Miller x2, Gore, etc.
  • CK - it appeared to be first read (AR1 and 2) all day long again and he struggles pulling the trigger at times esp. on the short receivers where they are initially open. Take it esp. on first downs!
  • Redzone Offense - SC's analysts were laughing saying who is the TD going to go to; you know it's either Boldin or VD. Duh.
  • The Others - is it sacreligious to use the following in the passing game: Manningham, McDonald, Hunter, James, Gore, Baldwin, Boldin from the slot, etc.
  • Homefield Advantage - do we have one?
  • Refs - we were 1-3 with this officiating crew; was it obvious why?
  • Fangio - if Seattle is only called for 1 out of 10 DB rapings, why don't we do the same?
  • Execution - even this Seattle game "felt" like we should have easily won by over 14.
  • Mental Game - this team has a way of getting the worst (legit) penalties at the worst times. Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot.
  • Return Man - sure would be nice to have one, eh?

Improving on 1st downs is the big one. A lot goes into that, but do that and everything falls into place offensively. Defensively I'd like more pass rush pressure from the middle. Someone besides Justin to help create pressure on the inside would take the defense to another level.
Originally posted by thl408:
Fans, the best part of playing a top-notch team is that every single weakness becomes glaringly obvious. This is just highlighting concerns (there are positives to many of these BTW and almost all of them can be corrected).

Let's take a quick look and what we need to improve upon to win the Superbowl:
  • Gore - is it safe to say he has zero top end speed now and appears to be losing his burst through the line? And catching has dropped for the third straight year.
  • DL - still gets pushed back a good 3 or 4 yards against power running teams; still struggle up the gut esp. in short yardage and in the RZ
  • OL - still gets pushed back a couple yards in short yardage; some pass protection issues and Goodwin may becoming weaker by the game
  • Burning Timeouts - still an issue
  • Rogers - call it scheme but it's safe to say he not only couldn't give up bigger cushions (esp. on 3rd downs) but be slower in his breaks; lazy and 1/2-ass effort esp. on tackles.
  • Predictable Play Calling - usually we run on first down for nothing. This game HaRoMan moved it to second downs. We only use an intermediate passing game.
  • First Down Production - still, this down IS our entire offense. We live in 2nd and very longs.
  • Touch Pass - do we not run enough outlets for CK or practice enough for CK to work on his touch passes? 90mph fastballs to Crabtree, Miller x2, Gore, etc.
  • CK - it appeared to be first read (AR1 and 2) all day long again and he struggles pulling the trigger at times esp. on the short receivers where they are initially open. Take it esp. on first downs!
  • Redzone Offense - SC's analysts were laughing saying who is the TD going to go to; you know it's either Boldin or VD. Duh.
  • The Others - is it sacreligious to use the following in the passing game: Manningham, McDonald, Hunter, James, Gore, Baldwin, Boldin from the slot, etc.
  • Homefield Advantage - do we have one?
  • Refs - we were 1-3 with this officiating crew; was it obvious why?
  • Fangio - if Seattle is only called for 1 out of 10 DB rapings, why don't we do the same?
  • Execution - even this Seattle game "felt" like we should have easily won by over 14.
  • Mental Game - this team has a way of getting the worst (legit) penalties at the worst times. Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot.
  • Return Man - sure would be nice to have one, eh?

Improving on 1st downs is the big one. A lot goes into that, but do that and everything falls into place offensively. Defensively I'd like more pass rush pressure from the middle. Someone besides Justin to help create pressure on the inside would take the defense to another level.

Even under Alex, I have been trying to tell people this for years now. It is CRUCIAL to our success on offense. Sure, being in 2nd and 3rd and longs makes your YPA look better but it completely plays into the run blitz defense and forces our hand big time. With 2nd and manageable, it absolutely opens up the playbook and the defense can not key in on (run or pass). This is an area where I'd like HaRoMan to scheme other AR's esp. focus on the short game with McDonald, Manningham from the slot, Gore and Hunter and Miller. Like the Bears last night...simply drop down between defenders, catch and turn up field. Simple. NOW you can open up your playbook on 2nd downs. Too predictable.

And nice point about the inside pass rush. Sometimes I see Fangio move Brooks up to the line and rush from the middle, standing next to the NT. I'd almost like to see him switch to a 4-man DL (quicker, slashers) at times to help with this and/or bring more Bowman and Willis up the gut. Don't let that QB get comfortable stepping up in that pocket!
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:42 AM ]

Originally posted by tackleon:
Not being a troll so dont ban me!

Playing your hearts out like its the Superbowl, having the refs on your side, home crowd most juiced up in the last decade, getting a fluke 51 yard run on last drive, and still only winning by just 2 points!! To me that translates to another blowout of you guys in Seattle. You all saw that we are a better team clear cut. The refs wont dare to call all the ticky tack penalties on us and completely ignore the holdings on your o-line the whole game in Seattle next time.

See you in Seattle.. But I doubt there would be any other outcome than the last 2 times you guys came there!

Many of these points are accurate. Seattle had nothing to gain by winning this game, the 9ers needed it--emotionally and for the record. At home during the playoffs the refs just might let those PI calls go. They bailed the 9ers out several times. The niners still are their own worst enemy and had idiotic penalties.

The niner coach sets the tone for stupid by frothing at the mouth the whole game screaming at the refs. Does that get a call once in a while? Probably. Does it lose some calls later in the game when the refs get sick and tired of the act? Probably. The players see that lack of composure and they are suppose to rise above it? JH needs to get a grip and be somewhat sane on the sidelines...at least he didn't make many egregious errors in decision making!

That said, the 9ers are a better all around team and the Seahawks DBs should not get away with mugging! Ever, anywhere!
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I agree with almost all the list, I'd just like to say one thing:

Our offense is clearly not playing to it's full capability, we left a lot of plays on the field and we just beat the team everyone was claiming was the best in the NFL with the best defense. We get our play calling sorted out, expand the game a bit, get Kap on the touch passes and no one will be able to live with us.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I agree with almost all the list, I'd just like to say one thing:

Our offense is clearly not playing to it's full capability, we left a lot of plays on the field and we just beat the team everyone was claiming was the best in the NFL with the best defense. We get our play calling sorted out, expand the game a bit, get Kap on the touch passes and no one will be able to live with us.

Agree...that's a big IF on both HaRoMan and CK but if they do get it rolling, we are going to be VERY tough to play. Still, the team's mental mistakes continue to haunt us.
Lion, a standing $20,000 fine for EDAP should be immediately be posted by JH in the locker room and announced at team meeting. EDAP? Extremely dumb ass penalty. And I would give Whitner one post facto and warn Bowman. What a jackass way to lose a game.

Brock , sorry bro...this is no rant NC has posted, but just honest to God nitty gritty the way it is. NC's list should be nailed up on the locker room's bulletin board, as these are the things that need to be done to win it all. Listing glaring deficiencies is not whining, it is what needs doing. As we all can see there is some serious work ahead.

This was just your standard post, NC...comprehensive and terrific.

Wally ...agreed p-52 coverage on TEs...ouch.

My rants are already known: against a box 8 or 10, which we see every dam game, you dink and dunk short 4-6 yarders, that take 1-2 seconds to throw, and DO NOT throw 10-15 yarders. Also, you DO NOT run into a box 10, and I swear, every time kap changes the call from a pass to a run, the Ds always know. So don't already, kap. If you think you are going to get blitzed, call a change in play, and then throw the original pass as intended. Then watch the D look at their DC and ask WTF just happened?

Again, great and comprehensive post, NC.
The slot corner is the HARDEST DB position to play. Rogers should NOT be in the slot IMO. He doesn't have the quickness for it.
Share 49ersWebzone