There are 164 users in the forums

On the Road to the Superbowl: Areas of Improvement

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This game could have very well been handed to Seattle solely based on stupid, dumb@zz mistakes like taunting and retaliation. Why on Earth would you act a fool and run your mouth and risk a penalty during the game when you can save it until after the win? Harbaugh needs to send a stronger message to the impulsive fools who cost the team 15 yard penalties of stupidity. If I was coach, I'd bench your @zz now that we have depth at almost every position.
Sorry, I needed to add one more area of improvement.

Willis coverage on TE's needs to be looked at.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
stop with the penalties, defense needs to do a better job getting off the field on third down, pass protection must improve
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Excellent post and please keep doing them after the rest of our games.

Yeah - I'm elated we beat those guys BUT it shouldn't have been this close.

Here's my take - agree w/you on the refs but this was the only Seattle game where I saw them get flagged at all for interference. Agree we need to do the same.

Our Red Zone performance SUCKS!!! This game wouldn't have been even close if we scored TD's there.

I can understand our DLine getting pushed back a bit in this game. Hawks had all their first string in and they are good football players.

Rogers is just about done and Wright has shown up better in every game. After the season - adios Carlos!

Thank you! I didn't so much mean for it to be a negative thread so much as what the coaching staff would most likely be focusing on cleaning up en route to the playoffs. And like I said, many of this CAN be cleaned up. I also noted these b/c they are obvious (at least to me) that these patterns are glaring against playoff caliber teams. If you go back to the Hawks loss x2, Indy, Carolina, Saints (or other playoff teams in the past 2 years), etc. you can truly see these "patterns." This list wasn't meant for just this game; its just much easier to see after a true playoff game like yesterday.

And yes, SO good to see Crabtree balling out as well as Wright stepping up as well (even with a concussion)
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
This game could have very well been handed to Seattle solely based on stupid, dumb@zz mistakes like taunting and retaliation. Why on Earth would you act a fool and run your mouth and risk a penalty during the game when you can save it until after the win? Harbaugh needs to send a stronger message to the impulsive fools who cost the team 15 yard penalties of stupidity. If I was coach, I'd bench your @zz now that we have depth at almost every position.

Whitner (obvious) and Bowman (lame). But you HAVE to have composure and KNOW going into the game the Hawks are going to get away with murder...they will talk, taunt, shove, initiate, etc. No excuses for these two veterans! Period. Granted, this was a very poor officiating crew but like someone noted, at least they called a COUPLE holding penalties on their DB's.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Sorry, I needed to add one more area of improvement.

Willis coverage on TE's needs to be looked at.

That's actually a great point. I want Bowman or Reid covering these taller, faster TE's. Not Willis or Whitner. Period. That said, way too many guys WIDE open on longer passes. It seemed like even Reid broke off a coverage and left his man wide open. We had some cracks in the coverage units baby.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
One thing I am worried about is that in the playoffs, refs tend to call fewer penalties, i.e. to let the players play. With the Seattle defense tendency to mug our receivers, that will be to Seattle's advantage. So how do we get the refs to call the game closer? I think I may have an idea on this. Remember the Rams game? We started the game insulting the Rams, and the refs were worried about a brawl starting. So they called lots of penalties to keep the players in check. What if we tried a similar tactic in the playoffs against Seattle? Get the refs thinking about flags from the beginning. The only thing I am not sure about is if that will get them more likely to call only personal fouls, but not defensive holding. It is the defensive holding that we want called closely.

One more thought. Could JH tell the players - make Seattle mad, but keep your composure. If you can do that, Seattle will get lots of penalties which will be to the 49ers advantage. As we saw today, Seattle has a weakness for penalties.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Just going by yesterday's game. It has to be Kaep. The decision making starts with him. That INT near the red zone was big. Can't have that throw, hoping that Crabtree will out physical his defender. Throwing it short and to the inside was a basic no, no qb 101. To Kaep's credit, he did came back for some strong, beautiful passes after that.

Yeah, into double coverage. CK will GUN it in there to Crabs and I was amazed at some of the catches he WAS making yesterday...amazed esp. given his injury. Wow!

There were so many guys wide open under 10 yards initially that he just HAS to hit. I don't care if they are the AR or not...hit them, take a 4-10 yards on first down. Take your intermediate shots later. This is a very good and physical defense. Body blow them first.

BTW: Have we tried a deeper pass once this year? Seriously...like a Wilson-like pass? With 10 in the box, you'd think we could take a deep shot at least once in 1on1. Boldin anyone?

I agree. The problems are kaep and the OC. Kaep just don't look like himself of last year. He seems uncomfortable. And I'm not feeling confident going to the playoffs on the road. I know our D will show up but between kaep and roman I just don't feel as well as I did last year going into the playoffs.
I can see some of the weaknesses...and agree they'll need to tighten up all phases of the team to have a legitimate shot at getting back to the SB. Offense is still far too sporadic...too many plays left out on the field. Defense showed up pretty big yesterday, but seeing Wilson repeatedly connect on 3rd downs was frustrating. Like most QB's, when you seriously pressure him, he'll make mistakes. ST's were terrific...until they allowed Tate's long return. Those kind of lapses can cost games...fortunately our OL was stout on our last drive and opened up things for Gore. When you get into the playoffs, mistakes, whether untimely penalties, picks, inability to pressure the QB, etc. can be game-changers.
Originally posted by Baldie:
I for one feel that the offense still needs work to do. We beat Seattle at home but we all know we still need to beat them in Seattle and will probably get another chance in the playoffs.

Not being a troll so dont ban me!

Playing your hearts out like its the Superbowl, having the refs on your side, home crowd most juiced up in the last decade, getting a fluke 51 yard run on last drive, and still only winning by just 2 points!! To me that translates to another blowout of you guys in Seattle. You all saw that we are a better team clear cut. The refs wont dare to call all the ticky tack penalties on us and completely ignore the holdings on your o-line the whole game in Seattle next time.

See you in Seattle.. But I doubt there would be any other outcome than the last 2 times you guys came there!
[ Edited by tackleon on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]

Gore isn't the problem. Teams are stacking the box. It's up to Kap to make teams pay for it, and he's not doing a good job of that.
Originally posted by fryet:
One thing I am worried about is that in the playoffs, refs tend to call fewer penalties, i.e. to let the players play. With the Seattle defense tendency to mug our receivers, that will be to Seattle's advantage. So how do we get the refs to call the game closer? I think I may have an idea on this. Remember the Rams game? We started the game insulting the Rams, and the refs were worried about a brawl starting. So they called lots of penalties to keep the players in check. What if we tried a similar tactic in the playoffs against Seattle? Get the refs thinking about flags from the beginning. The only thing I am not sure about is if that will get them more likely to call only personal fouls, but not defensive holding. It is the defensive holding that we want called closely.

One more thought. Could JH tell the players - make Seattle mad, but keep your composure. If you can do that, Seattle will get lots of penalties which will be to the 49ers advantage. As we saw today, Seattle has a weakness for penalties.

Love it! Another thing the Niners can do is DO THE SAME THING. Geesh Fangio. You actually DON'T have to play 15 yards off on 3rd and 3.

Also, it's a tactic on their part. So use it against them. When you feel the shirt being grabbed, pull back a tad and throw your arms up like you just got mauled as the ball arrives. Also, hand work. You can slap away their hands as they grab, tug, hold, shove, etc. Finally, wear a condom. You will be raped up in Seattle so you better have SOME protection...you won't get it from the refs up in Seattle esp. in the playoffs.

PS; None of their 6'4" CB's are fast off the PED's so like Julio Jones you CAN get a step or two on them but you HAVE to take at least ONE deeper shot on them. Make them think about it rather than playing down hill all game long. We have not taken one single deep shot that I can remember in 4 games. Would the VD pass-INT be considered a deep ball?
Originally posted by socalniner:
Gore isn't the problem. Teams are stacking the box. It's up to Kap to make teams pay for it, and he's not doing a good job of that.

He isn't Brady, Rodgers or Brees. Unless it's an ad lib play, I believe he is merely going with the play calls. And if both are running plays? What's he gong to do. I wish we had a gauge for the level of freedom he has as a QB to make these reads...quick outs, slants, out and ups when 10 are in the box (ala the Crabtree 60 yarder). Given he's only into a season's worth of games, he probably isn't given much, if any freedom to adjust beyond what is relayed to him (safe assumption).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tackleon:
Originally posted by Baldie:
I for one feel that the offense still needs work to do. We beat Seattle at home but we all know we still need to beat them in Seattle and will probably get another chance in the playoffs.

Not being a troll so dont ban me!

Playing your hearts out like its the Superbowl, having the refs on your side, home crowd most juiced up in the last decade, getting a fluke 51 yard run on last drive, and still only winning by just 2 points!! To me that translates to another blowout of you guys in Seattle. You all saw that we are a better team clear cut. The refs wont dare to call all the ticky tack penalties on us and completely ignore the holdings on your o-line the whole game in Seattle next time.

See you in Seattle.. But I doubt there would be any other outcome than the last 2 times you guys came there!
we had to play with a air of desperation. due to our dips**t OC we lost games to the colts and panthers which makes every win important. so yes the team played their hearts out because they knew they had to win,, the rest of your blather is just that. i like your statement how the refs will dare not call penalties up there. what do you threaten to beat them up? you could not run the ball and i think your guys did not know what to do when the niners punched back
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
All due respect, but sometimes it just comes off as unnecessary whining. I am just pleased that we came out and stood strong against a quality opponent. I know we all are, and that forums are here to nit-pick about the team deficiencies.... I get that. But sometimes, you just want to enjoy a W, ya know?

I REALLY hope the coaching staff doesn't think the way you do. If that were the case, we would probably lose every single game following a victory.
Share 49ersWebzone