LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

roman plz change it up

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can't tell if its Romans play calling, or a QB who isn't able to look at multiple receivers down the field. His ball placement is crap and he can't throw well on the run. As I understand it, Kap is given 2 -3 plays to run each play call, and then changes them up at the line. How much of it is Roman, and how much of it is a cocky QB with minimal intelligence and average at best ball placement. He over threw and under threw crabtree on several different plays. His release is slow because he can't make up his mind. Im not a Seahawks fan by any means, but watch how smart Russell Wilson plays the game. There is no comparison between him and Kap. Wilson is a much better QB. The Seahawks shot themselves in the foot on several occasions and thats what helped the Niners get the win. Don't be so excited by a win that still hasn't proved this is a playoff team.
The defense plays pretty solid ball and keeps the niners in the game. They could improve on their passing defense over the middle in a run-option offense, but for the most part they do their jobs. As long as they keep their MOUTHS SHUT, they will be OK.
The offense is lacking intelligent leadership. Its starts with Harbaugh and trickles down to Roman and Kap. Cant figure out who is the dumber of the three.
Don't feed the troll.
Thread to be merged in 3.....2........1..........
Am I the only one who has noticed the improvements with the play calling? I know it could still be better but it has been improving. The chances of the 49ers finishing with only 4 losses is now pretty real. Who complains about the coaching staff this much on a 12 win team? Whiners fans I guess.
Originally posted by avi8or:
I can't tell if its Romans play calling, or a QB who isn't able to look at multiple receivers down the field. His ball placement is crap and he can't throw well on the run. As I understand it, Kap is given 2 -3 plays to run each play call, and then changes them up at the line. How much of it is Roman, and how much of it is a cocky QB with minimal intelligence and average at best ball placement. He over threw and under threw crabtree on several different plays. His release is slow because he can't make up his mind. Im not a Seahawks fan by any means, but watch how smart Russell Wilson plays the game. There is no comparison between him and Kap. Wilson is a much better QB. The Seahawks shot themselves in the foot on several occasions and thats what helped the Niners get the win. Don't be so excited by a win that still hasn't proved this is a playoff team.
The defense plays pretty solid ball and keeps the niners in the game. They could improve on their passing defense over the middle in a run-option offense, but for the most part they do their jobs. As long as they keep their MOUTHS SHUT, they will be OK.
The offense is lacking intelligent leadership. Its starts with Harbaugh and trickles down to Roman and Kap. Cant figure out who is the dumber of the three.

His ball placement was crap yesterday because of all the holding and rerouting and jersey tugging going on in that cheap ass cheating secondary of theirs. How are you supposed to throw a decent ball with all that face guarding and blatant holding going on?
  • Sulla
  • Veteran
Definitely noticed the passing game was more successful when we're throwing to the middle of the field. We ran a lot of passing plays down the sideline, and naturally the Seahawks were all over it with their physical DBs. Hopefully we get more chances in the middle.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Am I the only one who has noticed the improvements with the play calling? I know it could still be better but it has been improving. The chances of the 49ers finishing with only 4 losses is now pretty real. Who complains about the coaching staff this much on a 12 win team? Whiners fans I guess.

It's going to be a 12 win team that has only beaten TWO good teams (GB is good with Rodgers). We've lost to 4 playoff teams and the play calling had a hell of a lot to do with each of those losses. It's easy to beat up on lesser teams, but unless certain issues are addressed, we will have problems with good teams.

That being said, I have noticed improvement in the play calling the last 2 games, except on 2nd and 10. For whatever reason, Roman absolutely refuses to call anything but a run up the gut in that situation. It doesn't matter where the ball is placed on the field. It's a run up the gut. Another thing is anytime Hunter gets a carry, it's ALWAYS to the outside. As a fan, I shouldn't be able to tell my buddy what is going to happen on ANY play and then sit there and watch exactly that. If I can do it, I know damn well that the defensive coordinator on the other team knows what is coming.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yeah, Shanahan is not OCing for anyone. The man has 2 rings as a HC. He's not Norv Turner.

This. I see him retiring if he can't be a head coach.
My son and I were irritated by some of the play calls...Roman does have a tendency to become predictable at times, which can feed right into what Seattle's doing on defense. Agree, Shanahan's not the answer...but Kubiak might be a good fit. Also think Baldwin would've been a bigger threat vice Manningham. Mario's not tough enough to have success against a defense like the Seahawks. So, yeah, there are questions in our minds WRT Roman...we think he could and should change things up instead of erring on the side of predictability/caution.
Will never understand the constant whining/complaining EVEN after beating the best team in the league, your top rival, the division leader and a team that has the best overall defense, the best passing defense and the 2nd best scoring defense in the NFL. HOW you beat a team this good, how good your stats were and how many points you racked up (or didn't) isn't relevant. ALL that matters is that you find a way to beat this team, and they did that.

IMO, the fantasy football/style points mentality is ruining this great game. There's simply little-to-no appreciation for the blood, sweat and tears that goes into an NFL victory any more. It's all stats & style-driven commentary now, which is a shame given how much of their lives these players/coaches give 24/7.

A win is no longer enough. You have to put up video game stats, dominate every aspect of the game/opponent and not make any mistakes doing it.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM ]

Ghost, there's a difference between whining and constructive criticism...yes we beat Seattle, and it was a great win. However, that doesn't mean there aren't things that need to improve IF this team expects to get back to the SB. We all know the road to the SB will most likely go through Seattle, and we haven't exactly played well up there, and for that matter, neither has anyone else. As for myself, I'm not a fantasy guy...I could care less about stats. But, let's face it, we barely beat the 'Hawks and it took an all-out effort to do it. Given they've still got a 2-game lead on us, it's going to be very difficult to get past them, much as I hate to say it. We can increase our chances if the offense somehow finds itself...and that largely falls on Roman and Kap. They've both got to step up their games for the Niners to get back to The Dance, it's just that simple.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Ghost, there's a difference between whining and constructive criticism...yes we beat Seattle, and it was a great win. However, that doesn't mean there aren't things that need to improve IF this team expects to get back to the SB. We all know the road to the SB will most likely go through Seattle, and we haven't exactly played well up there, and for that matter, neither has anyone else. As for myself, I'm not a fantasy guy...I could care less about stats. But, let's face it, we barely beat the 'Hawks and it took an all-out effort to do it. Given they've still got a 2-game lead on us, it's going to be very difficult to get past them, much as I hate to say it. We can increase our chances if the offense somehow finds itself...and that largely falls on Roman and Kap. They've both got to step up their games for the Niners to get back to The Dance, it's just that simple.

Totally get that Corva, but it begs the question...do you not think they (Harbaugh, Roman, etc.) don't realize the areas they need to improve in? They study the film endlessly and see things we might never see/understand. But it's not always as simple as seeing a problem and fixing it in the middle of a season. Sometimes it's a talent gap which can't be addressed until the off-season, sometimes it's a one-on-one matchup that just isn't favorable to them, or even a schematic thing that doesn't favor them.

Every week presents a new set of challenges, and each adjustment you make might seem reasonable/successful in the planning phase, but might yield unintended consequences during the game. So you make in-game adjustments as best you can....with the ultimate goal being "finding a way to win."

To that end, this team has gone 33-11 under Harbaugh/Roman/Fangio's leadership. To me, the ability to actually and consistently win games in this league (which is one of the hardest things to do in all of sports) should be factored in to these reactionary, micro-discussions that continue on this site.
REDZONE play call is horrible!!!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yeah, Shanahan is not OCing for anyone. The man has 2 rings as a HC. He's not Norv Turner.

This. I see him retiring if he can't be a head coach.

Says who?? Maybe he wants to take it back a notch.

I think Him & Kubiak would be good OC's
Share 49ersWebzone