There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Osgood Punt Block & Illegal Advance of Ball

you know its a f**ked up rule when i'm drunk and notice it. guy bats the ball illegally from like around the 15 and we get possession somewhere around the 30?
Can Osgood catch? That's one tall, lanky ass mofo. Use him in the redzone.
I had predicted a punt block. With SEA going small on coverages, their guys are really trying to get up field. If more teams focus on punt blocks vs SEA, they will end up having to switch up their personnel on it.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by psueaz:
Thank you guys for bringing civility back to this discussion. I can also try to help clear up this play

1. A blocked punt can be advanced by the kicking team, but ONLY if the player is behind the line of scrimmage. If the Seahawk player had been ahead of the line of scrimmage--whether the punt was blocked or not--the ball would've been downed at the spot (Technically a downed punt is called "illegal touching", but that's for another thread). So Linkboy is correct that it was not treated like a punt return, but only because the Seahawk touched it behind the LOS.

Please see:
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/kicksfromscrimmage

See also:
Illegal Bat. It is an illegal bat if: (a) a player of either team bats or punches a loose ball in the field of play toward his opponent's goal line[. . .] Penalty: For illegal batting or punching the ball: Loss of 10 yards. For enforcement, treat as a foul during a backward pass or fumble (see 8-7-7). IRule 8-7-7 states that if a foul is called on a fumble behind the line of scrimmage, the ball is returned to the line of scrimmage before the foul is marked off.

2. Since the Seahawk player was behind the line, the play can be thought of as a fumble, recovered by the offense.
3. So the player on the kicking team can be thought of as a quarterback/punter in this situation. He can try to pass it, run it, kick it, etc... where he can use the the normal rules regarding scrimmage plays. So this situation is as if a quarterback had made an illegal bat on 4th down. The niners could've accepted the penalty and marked off the yardage from the LOS, or declined it, and taken the ball where it came to rest.
4. So no one is arguing the call was made incorrectly. We're all saying that it betrays the "spirit of fairness", when a player can do something ILLEGAL, which ends up benefitting his team.
5. If he had tried to run for the first down (LEGAL), and been tackled the niners would've had the ball at the tackle spot. If he would've tried to pass it (LEGALLY) and it would've been incomplete, the niners would've gotten the ball at original LOS (less any applicable Illegal Forward Pass penalty) spot. But by doing something ILLEGAL, knowing that he had no chance to get the first down, the niners got screwed. That just seems unfair. What if he had Popeye arms, and batted the ball 80 yards?
6. I agree with DarkKnight. Please make this a loss of down.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
A blocked punt is not a live ball, and may only be touched, and advanced by the receiving team, and it is a dead ball if touched by the kicking team. It would seem to me that the second the Seaf*g player touched the ball it was dead, play was over. The forward motion of the touch could be called a dead ball foul and 15 yards awarded to the receiving team, or you could just say dead at the spot of contact. I do believe there is a rule regarding the ball crossing the line of scrimmage in a punt situation, the receiving team touching the ball makes it "live", unless the touch occurs behind the line of scrimmage. Either way, a poor interoperation of the rules.

See the post from psueaz above.

As long as the ball stays behind the line of scrimmage, the kicking team can pick up and advance a blocked punt.

Since no change of possession had occurred (no 49ers picked up the ball and it never crossed the line of scrimmage) and illegal batting isn't a spot foul, the 49ers accepting the penalty would result in the Seahawks getting penalized 10 yards from the line of scrimmage and the play is replayed.

One way to prevent the kicking team from benefiting a situation like this is to make an intentional illegal batting penalty a loss of down like intentional grounding.
Crap! Everything I thought I knew about that play WAS WRONG! I hang my head in shame, while checking my drivers license to make sure I've got my name right!
Harbaugh addressed this during his press conference. The officials got the ruling right, but the rule itself is wack.

The competition committee should address this, and make batting the ball forward an automatic loss of down. Same as if he intentionally kicked it.
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 31s Special team wiz and WR Kassim Osgood will re-sign with the #49ers today, source said.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 31s Special team wiz and WR Kassim Osgood will re-sign with the #49ers today, source said.

Beautiful.
Originally posted by valrod33:

add another Lock to make the roster IMO.
Dude made a great catch in the Falcons game. Glad he's back.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
BWilliamsonESPN Bill Williamson
I can confirm Kassim Osgood has agreed to terms with #49ers.
about a minute ago
Originally posted by mayo49:
about a minute ago

God I love our FO! Fantastic!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by mayo49:
about a minute ago

God I love our FO! Fantastic!

great signing. i know some people want to gut special teams in order to sign some flavor of the month and those people just do not know what they are doing. i hope we do sign cox as well and that is it for free agent signings
I like this guy, but, lol, yall f**kers are crazy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGod:
I like this guy, but, lol, yall f**kers are crazy.

why? did you like our special teams before people like he and bubba were signed?
Good move. I'd hate to see our ST regress again.