There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Osgood Punt Block & Illegal Advance of Ball

Getting him resigned was an excellent move.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Getting him resigned was an excellent move.

agree, everything we did so far this off season has been good,, the people we have signed,, the chances we are willing to take with certain players and the players we have opted NOT to pursue has made this as good off season in my opinion
Bingo.

We have had a good off season. Not flashy but solid. 2 of the good move include:

Re-upping Kilgore and Miller.

Really looking forward to the draft.
Bingo.

We have had a good off season. Not flashy but solid. 2 of the good move include:

And signing Brock to a very reasonable contract...the dude is our #1 now! Bethea's contract was fantastic as well.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Bingo.

And signing Brock to a very reasonable contract...the dude is our #1 now! Bethea's contract was fantastic as well.

i knew there were a couple good people out there who can see the forest through the trees.. you just have look hard for those people
I was mad as s**t at him for that blunder in the Saints game. Overall though he was a beast on special teams. Glad he's back
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
I was mad as s**t at him for that blunder in teh Saints game. Overall though he was a beast on special teams. Glad he's back

he never made the same mistake twice . i am so happy this team spent so much time last off season fixing the special ed teams. we only lost dixon so they should be just as good this year.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I was mad as s**t at him for that blunder in teh Saints game. Overall though he was a beast on special teams. Glad he's back

he never made the same mistake twice . i am so happy this team spent so much time last off season fixing the special ed teams. we only lost dixon so they should be just as good this year.

That's a very good point about Dixon. His spot not only opens up a ST spot, it actually opens up an entire roster spot...a real position. This could be occupied by a real, pure backup FB such as Alex Debniak.
Maybe an extra d lineman or CB also.
There's been discussion as to who the Costanzo signing could affect and Osgood has been brought up lately. I don't think Costanzo is a direct competitor for Osgood's spot on STs since they would play different roles, but I was looking at his stats and saw he had one catch and wondered 'how did that happen'? Here is his only catch of last season.

2nd & 18

The play looks designed to attack cover2 with Patton, Osgood, VD looking to get a hi-lo read for Kap over the middle.

Kap hits the back of his dropback and is looking to his high read, Patton. ATL shifts their deep shell from a cover2 look to cover3.

This appears like a hitch and throw. Kap takes the hitch step and would throw to Patton if he was open. He might have been open if it was cover 2 and the safety on his side bit on Osgood. It's not cover2 as the MLB drops to his deep third in the middle of the field and defests Patton's route. Kap red lights Patton. Osgood and VD get a vertical stretch on the defender that is close to VD. The defender on Osgood will stay in his curl zone assignment in this cover3 with 5 underneath zone defenders (3 rushers).

VD breaks outside. The defender near VD gave VD too much attention and opens a throwing lane to Osgood. With some room to run, Kap instead uses a second hitch step to take him to the next read in the high-lo progression, Osgood. Kap is mid windup.

17 yard gain.

The Bay Area's own GOOSE the bulldog (& 49er faithful) is in Justin Timberlake's new music video for "Not A Bad Thing"! If his picture gets most likes, JT will surprise him next week. Please support the bay and like his picture! Thanks in advance! http://justintimberlake.com/news/2014/notabadlovestory-now-its-your-turn-to-play-cupid

Originally posted by thl408:
There's been discussion as to who the Costanzo signing could affect and Osgood has been brought up lately. I don't think Costanzo is a direct competitor for Osgood's spot on STs since they would play different roles, but I was looking at his stats and saw he had one catch and wondered 'how did that happen'? Here is his only catch of last season.

2nd & 18

The play looks designed to attack cover2 with Patton, Osgood, VD looking to get a hi-lo read for Kap over the middle.

Kap hits the back of his dropback and is looking to his high read, Patton. ATL shifts their deep shell from a cover2 look to cover3.

This appears like a hitch and throw. Kap takes the hitch step and would throw to Patton if he was open. He might have been open if it was cover 2 and the safety on his side bit on Osgood. It's not cover2 as the MLB drops to his deep third in the middle of the field and defests Patton's route. Kap red lights Patton. Osgood and VD get a vertical stretch on the defender that is close to VD. The defender on Osgood will stay in his curl zone assignment in this cover3 with 5 underneath zone defenders (3 rushers).

VD breaks outside. The defender near VD gave VD too much attention and opens a throwing lane to Osgood. With some room to run, Kap instead uses a second hitch step to take him to the next read in the high-lo progression, Osgood. Kap is mid windup.

17 yard gain.

I really like the design of this play. I wonder if vd's route was a whip in the actual play or he whipped it because he had man coverage. Either way that whip route opened up that post pattern nicely. With our improved WR core, plays like this should be really effective.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I really like the design of this play. I wonder if vd's route was a whip in the actual play or he whipped it because he had man coverage. Either way that whip route opened up that post pattern nicely. With our improved WR core, plays like this should be really effective.

I think you called it with the whip and how it opened up the Dig (deep in) to Osgood. Patton was running the post route. I'm fairly certain ATL was in zone coverage here. The defender on VD was not supposed to follow VD because it opened up the throwing lane. Below is the end of the play. The CB goes over to tell the defender near VD (#96) something. I can only guess it was that he should not have followed VD when VD whipped outside. Not sure it would have mattered, but his finger waving shows some displeasure with #96.

The combination that Patton and Osgood looks like a slight variation of the "Mills concept" as Patton broke on his post route a little later than how Mills is usually drawn up. Us 49er fans may recognize it because this is how NYG scored the TD on the pass to Ham in the 2011 nfccg where Brock got beat. The Dig is to bait the safety up in order to open up the post. If the safety stays back to defend the post, the Dig is open. More painful details here as that play was discussed. In that play, Goldson bites up on the Dig and Brock is put in a tough predicament with outside leverage on Ham's inside breaking post pattern.

Mills (Post/Dig combination):
Originally posted by thl408:
I think you called it with the whip and how it opened up the Dig (deep in) to Osgood. Patton was running the post route. I'm fairly certain ATL was in zone coverage here. The defender on VD was not supposed to follow VD because it opened up the throwing lane. Below is the end of the play. The CB goes over to tell the defender near VD (#96) something. I can only guess it was that he should not have followed VD when VD whipped outside. Not sure it would have mattered, but his finger waving shows some displeasure with #96.

The combination that Patton and Osgood looks like a slight variation of the "Mills concept" as Patton broke on his post route a little later than how Mills is usually drawn up. Us 49er fans may recognize it because this is how NYG scored the TD on the pass to Ham in the 2011 nfccg where Brock got beat. The Dig is to bait the safety up in order to open up the post. If the safety stays back to defend the post, the Dig is open. More painful details here as that play was discussed. In that play, Goldson bites up on the Dig and Brock is put in a tough predicament with outside leverage on Ham's inside breaking post pattern.

Mills (Post/Dig combination):

I was referring to osgood, I have a habit of calling any route with a little slant to it a post I agree that in the context of the play it is a deep in. I also agree that the plays is a nice variation of the mills concepts. Vd's whip made that whole play, because had the defense not followed him he would have had some space. Again I love the options on this play and I like how kaep worked it.

The more you see it, the more it becomes evident that we are a pretty damn scary team when we go empty. I would venture a guess, we will see empty packages a little more in 2014.