There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Osgood Punt Block & Illegal Advance of Ball

Can someone clarify why the opposing player batted the ball forward on the 20 yard line, we retained possession where it went out of bounds 15 yards up the field on the 35. They threw a flag signaling the batting was illegal but did not give us the ball where it was batted on the 20.
Not sure I thought we should have gotten it were he hit it at too.
I was a little baffled by this as well.

But I might be unclear on the rules.
Don't know. I'm with you guys. If dude hit's it, always thought it was dead right there.
What I said in the game thread.... very good question and someone should tweet Maiocco on it.

Yeah, I'd like to hear if that was the correct call for sure and if so they should think about changing that rule. I mean if a punt is blocked why not kick or bat it forward as far as you can so the team doesn't take over with the best field position possible. I know it would be a penalty but if the option is decline it and keep ball wherever it is batted/kicked to compared to re-punt which you obviously wouldn't take then the penalty is meaningless. Kind of seems like rewarding a team for a bad play like when they use to give teams retries on onside kicks that went out of bounds. I mean the placement could have been the difference between a TD and FG.

I think we should have gotten the ball where he batted it forward at the least. At the most should have gotten it there plus 5 or how many yards the penalty for that is.

P.S. I also said the refs were really bad and missed/made bad calls on both side so not going to act like 49ers were the only victims. The 9ers might have gotten a few more calls but many bad/missed on both sides.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM ]
Officials gave us 2 options:

1. Accept the penalty, and replay 4th down.

2. Decline the penalty, take over where the ball went out of bounds.

This seems like a loophole in the rules IMO. This allowed Seattle to illegally advance the ball 20 yards without being penalized whatsoever. In the end, we basically were penalized 20 yards for their infraction.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

This seems like a loophole in the rules IMO. This allowed Seattle to illegally advance the ball 20 yards without being penalized whatsoever. In the end, we basically were penalized 20 yards for their infraction.

Pretty much.

If that is the case I agree the rule should be changed and hopefully harbaugh takes it up with the league.

I think those were the options the Officials gave Harbaugh........

........just don't think that those were the correct options.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Can someone clarify why the opposing player batted the ball forward on the 20 yard line, we retained possession where it went out of bounds 15 yards up the field on the 35. They threw a flag signaling the batting was illegal but did not give us the ball where it was batted on the 20.

The Seahawks are technically allowed to advance the ball if they were able to pick it up and run with it.

Since it was technically their possession, they could not bat it forward. It's a dead ball where-ever the batted ball lands.

If we accept penalty, they replay the down. We decline we get ball.
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Dec 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by AmpLee:

The Seahawks are technically allowed to advance the ball if they were able to pick it up and run with it.

Since it was technically their possession, they could not bat it forward. I think that's why we couldn't get the ball and penalty.

I don't think you understand my qualm.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Since it was technically their possession, they could not bat it forward. I think that's why we couldn't get the ball and penalty.

This. The Seahawks batting it forward resulted in a penalty, had the 49ers accepted the penalty, Seattle would have kicked the punt again, being pushed 10 yards back as a result of the penalty. By declining the penalty, the 49ers accepted the ball wherever it ended up but I too think that it should have been at the original line of scrimmage or where the Saints player touched it. In my understanding, it should have been a turnover on downs to the 49ers after they declined the penalty at the original line of scrimmage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM ]
If we accept the penalty and take the yards, the yards are enforced from the original line of scrimmage, not where the penalty occurred, the down is replayed and Seattle punts the ball again. We couldn't get the ball by accepting the penalty since the down is automatically replayed. We couldn't get the ball where the penalty occurred since penalties are enforced from the line of scrimmage, not where they occurred on the field.

By accepting the penalty, the ball is moved back from the original line of scrimmage and it's 4th down again.
[ Edited by linkboy on Dec 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Pretty much.

Ted Robinson said on the post game show..that is the the rule and it should be changed

Sucks
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Ted Robinson said on the post game show..that is the the rule and it should be changed

Sucks

Good thing it don't matter cuz we won