LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 142 users in the forums

I Found a Solution to the 49ers Read Option issues!!!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It seems like it hasn't been working for the 49ers this year because, Now don't take this in the wrong away or anything but Gore is a BAD read option hit the hole type running back the way Marshwan and Deangelo Williams do for the Chickens & Panthers. Gore is Better when He is allowed to be patient and Let his blocking develop. Why not get more LMJ in on some of that Read option along with Kendall Hunter stuff because he hits the Hole some QUICK, he'd be good for 5 almost every time and that opens up Playaction, Kap Keeps etc etc and while they are at it, CUT and RELEASE that Goodwin Jonathan dude, he has been getting WHIPPED ALL SEASON LONG UP THE MIDDLE, absolutely no push from Goodwin.
The idea of even having LMJ in the game other than for returns is LUDICROUS!

-Greg Roman
you are right.
gore is a power back run with power he gets it done

but more importantly run it on 2nd and shorts that's when you run read option
I have a better solution; How about we just stop running the 'read option'...
They will probably stick with their formula for the remainder of this year. To go to spread concept like NO runs it's going to take some changes in OLine blocking schemes and a learning curve. This is probably not the time to make a radical shift. Right now if they bring LaMichael in the D has a pretty good idea what is going to happen. He isn't integrated into the offense as a frequent player like Sproles. Offseason. I think we will look different next fall.
Have McCoy in at QB and Kap in at RB for teh read option
The reason the read option worked so well last year was because the 49ers were more more consistent with the run game. This year, Roman & Harbaugh have been playing Jekyll & Hyde with the running game. They'll use it effectively in the first half of some games, then completely abandon it in the second half. As many others have said on this site, in order for the read option to work, you have to have a good running game, and we're just not consistent this year.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Originally posted by dankmeistr:
The reason the read option worked so well last year was because the 49ers were more more consistent with the run game. This year, Roman & Harbaugh have been playing Jekyll & Hyde with the running game. They'll use it effectively in the first half of some games, then completely abandon it in the second half. As many others have said on this site, in order for the read option to work, you have to have a good running game, and we're just not consistent this year.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC

Nice post & I agree.
if we HAVE to run it..then fine....the solution is to run it out of spread formations... shotgun read option....like the Seahawks do. This will even work with Gore.

bunching them up with the triangle read option with Miller doesn't seem to work well anymore....and passing out of that doesn't seem to work great either. Teams are disguising their blitzes better because of our bunch formations.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I have a better solution; How about we just stop running the 'read option'...

yes. this and stop running plays out of the f**king pistol. i swear everytime we do a negative play ensues.

Yes, it's true, Frank Gore is NOT a natural fit for the read option run. He's best-suited to a classic, downhill power running game with a blocking fullback. We revitalized the offense a bit with minimal passing game by going back to it, during the middle of the season, and then fell off when we had to play actual defenses who can stop the run.

But no... Frank Gore is NOT the problem. The NFL just knows how to play the read option better. Frank Gore was having great success with the read option last year, especially in the playoffs. Remember the Super Bowl? People were pissed that Frank Gore wasn't more of a running option in our last sequence. He's shown over the years that he can run ANY offensive scheme and have success. He did well in Mike Martz's offense for pete's sake.
I think Kaepernick is a bit hesitant to take the run sometimes. Other times, it's just not a good playcall. And, yes, Frank Gore IS a little older. He's lost a step for sure, but is still a top-level runningback. Mostly, I want to say, it's the fact that the NFL has caught up.
simple answer...dont call it
It works against crappy defenses, but the better ones figure it out. Eight now, they are just stacking the box an daring us to throw.
Hire a new OC?
The real problem is Kaepernick. Seattle runs the option effectively, Even last night, our defense is so scared of Wilson that we crash down on Lynch late. No one is scared of Kaepernick anymore. He runs soft and can't break tackles.
Share 49ersWebzone