LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

offensive line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Iupati played through injuries all season too. I think that was a large part of why he didn't look like the dominant player he was the season before. Also, Goodwin struggled mightily last season as well and that didn't make things any easier on our guards. A healthy Iupati is still a dominant guard even in pass protection. I don't care what anyone says.
Big Mike will most likely command more $$ than Baalke's willing to pay...thanks to the Titans who paid a significantly lesser talent in Andy Levitre $47M for 6 years. My solution to that is to plug Joe Looney in at LG...I'd bet the OL doesn't miss a beat. If TB drafts an OG it's arguably because he wants competition/depth when Iupati becomes too expensive to keep. This draft could well set the stage for that.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Big Mike will most likely command more $$ than Baalke's willing to pay...thanks to the Titans who paid a significantly lesser talent in Andy Levitre $47M for 6 years. My solution to that is to plug Joe Looney in at LG...I'd bet the OL doesn't miss a beat. If TB drafts an OG it's arguably because he wants competition/depth when Iupati becomes too expensive to keep. This draft could well set the stage for that.

agreed on the money for iupati. starting to see some beat writers say things like he'll get tackle money on the open market. we arent keeping this guy.
^^ Agree with all three of you...Iupati just wasn't himself last year and Baalke isn't likely to over pay to keep him.

A few years from now, when Staley retires, I can see a line of:

OT: Boone, Davis, Martin, Marquardt, Bykowski
OG: Looney, Martin, Boone, Davis, Rookie
C: Kilgore, Looney, Rookie

These seven guys would give the team a great deal of flexibility--I think Boone, Martin and Davis are a very rare group of G/Ts. If they picked up a C/G combo guy this year it would solidify the line for quite some time--with or without Staley and Iupati! would remind me of the 80s niners where guys just jumped in where they were needed and did well enough to win super bowls!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM ]
Mike is getting top 3 guard money.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Goodbye Mike! Nice knowing you...Next up!
I think we'll go for 1 in draft or convert a T into a G.

Personally, I want Gabe Jackson 6'4" 335 Mississippi State

Others I've heard about are:

Billy Turner 6'5" 316 N. Dakota State
Dakota Dozier Furman
Kareem Edwards
Jon Halapic - Fla
Brandon Linder - Miami

Mike is worth top 3 guard money. I'd rather keep him than keep Crabtree.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Mike is worth top 3 guard money. I'd rather keep him than keep Crabtree.

I was of this opinion as well until I saw the offense without Crabtree
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I was of this opinion as well until I saw the offense without Crabtree

I think that had less to do with how good Crabtree is and more to do with how bad Kyle Williams is. The NFC Title game went downhill the instant Iupati went down. The Niners aren't gonna find someone who can dominate the way he does in the draft, but guys like Matthews & Moncrief (maybe even Banjamin if he lost some weight) could replace Crabtree's production IMO.

Plus re-signing Iupati will be a lot cheaper than re-signing Crabtree.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Mar 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM ]

The question will be--how close are Kilgore and Looney to starting? If they are both ready then Iupati is too expensive. If they aren't...he may be invaluable. But I haven't been that impressed with the pass protection and don't know if it's mostly Goodwin or Iupati as well.

As far as WR goes, I will not miss Crabtree's personality but I will miss his ability to snag the ball out of the air. They had better get a couple of really good WRs in the WR rich draft!
Davante Adams looks like Crabtree
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Davante Adams looks like Crabtree

But does he know MC Hammer?
I believe you never stop drafting high profile draft prospects when it comes to the Offensive Line...
They are the back bone to the offence period.
A. Boone if a perfect story of why...
Now I didn't accumulate that believe after Boone, he is just validates my reasoning... I believe that you never stop drafting Offensive linemen and Secondary CB's.
That is always the way I approach my team top philosophy
Share 49ersWebzone