There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Article: The 49ers need Kaepernick to play like Smith on Sunday

The two things I have heard that make me happy are: 1) Roman saying we need "big chunk plays" --->>> meaning we will focus more on passing than power running (no more Gore up the middle on first down for no gain?)
and 2) that they are going to focus on keeping Wilson in the pocket and get their hands up.

I have felt the best chance to stop the best scrambler in the NFL is to contain him and force him to throw over the tall-trees. Make that a priority over sacking him.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
The two things I have heard that make me happy are: 1) Roman saying we need "big chunk plays" --->>> meaning we will focus more on passing than power running (no more Gore up the middle on first down for no gain?)
and 2) that they are going to focus on keeping Wilson in the pocket and get their hands up.

I have felt the best chance to stop the best scrambler in the NFL is to contain him and force him to throw over the tall-trees. Make that a priority over sacking him.

Yep. The games where they've struggled are the games where the DL stayed in their gaps and swallow him up in the pocket. I really wish Ray Mac was healthy.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
I was thinking this today. Kaep has yet to beat Seattle. Smith used to own Seattle some of his best games were against them. If Kaep loses he will have the Peyton Manning complex when it comes to Brady and the Patriots.
So we want Kap to have a worse quarterback rating and worse QBR rating, punt the ball a lot, and hope our defense scores points for us and we win by one point?

This is going to help us how? Kap has only one more interception than Smith. Is that what this is about?

Kap's five best games are better than Smith's best game.
Kap's three worst games are worse than Smith's worst game.

Do you want to put a speed limit on your racecar during a race, to be extra sure it doesn't crash during the race? You play to win the game, not to avoid losing it.
Originally posted by nj9er:
I was thinking this today. Kaep has yet to beat Seattle. Smith used to own Seattle some of his best games were against them. If Kaep loses he will have the Peyton Manning complex when it comes to Brady and the Patriots.

Home 10/18/12 Rating 74.5 QBR 29.3 Yards 140 TD 1 Int 1 (His second worst game of the season)
@ Seattle 12/24/11 Rating 75.6 QBR 42.5 Yards 179 TD 0 Int 0 (Fourth worst game of the season)
Home 9/11/11 Rating 90.4 QBR 80.5 Yards 124 TD 0 Int 0 (8th best game of season)
Home 12/12/10 Rating 130.9 QBR 50.8 Yards 255 TD 3 Int 0 (One of the best games of his career)
@ Seattle 9/12/10 Rating 52.5 QBR 24.7 Yards 225 TD 0 Int 2 (His worst game of the season)

So he had a good game three years ago at home against the Seahawks when they weren't a very good team, and our defense caused 5 turnovers.

Not really saying much considering Seattle is a far, FAR superior team now than it was during much of the Smith era. The stats Alex put up against those old Seattle teams would get the team killed facing their team today. But I do agree that Kap seems to struggle tremendously against Seattle (ala Peyton against the Patriots). Statistically, he's probably had his worst games against them. This Sunday will be the first time he faces them at home so hopefully it will be better this time around.
Bottom line is Kaepernick needs to play a game he has not played before: Take advantage of short zones with touch. Be very careful with the football. Trust his OL to give him enough time to go through his progressions. Seattle will take away 1 or 2 options on every play. He will have to get to the 2nd and 3rd options if the passing game is to work. He can't drop his head and start looking for a place to run if the 1st option is not open. Can he do that? We will find out.
Originally posted by dj43:
Bottom line is Kaepernick needs to play a game he has not played before: Take advantage of short zones with touch. Be very careful with the football. Trust his OL to give him enough time to go through his progressions. Seattle will take away 1 or 2 options on every play. He will have to get to the 2nd and 3rd options if the passing game is to work. He can't drop his head and start looking for a place to run if the 1st option is not open. Can he do that? We will find out.

It's not about trust, the o-line flat out needs to give him more time. I think people really undersell the effect the poor pass-pro has played in the games Kap has looked bad. I think O-line play is the biggest key this weekend. They need to open lanes in the running game and give consistent time for Kap and the receivers in the passing game.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Home 10/18/12 Rating 74.5 QBR 29.3 Yards 140 TD 1 Int 1 (His second worst game of the season)
@ Seattle 12/24/11 Rating 75.6 QBR 42.5 Yards 179 TD 0 Int 0 (Fourth worst game of the season)
Home 9/11/11 Rating 90.4 QBR 80.5 Yards 124 TD 0 Int 0 (8th best game of season)
Home 12/12/10 Rating 130.9 QBR 50.8 Yards 255 TD 3 Int 0 (One of the best games of his career)
@ Seattle 9/12/10 Rating 52.5 QBR 24.7 Yards 225 TD 0 Int 2 (His worst game of the season)

So he had a good game three years ago at home against the Seahawks when they weren't a very good team, and our defense caused 5 turnovers.

If he plays like Smith we will lose.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM ]
we need him to not play like the gaping vagina he has been the last 2 meetings
This thread took a wrong turn the second people read Alex Smith in the title LOL. Just forget the article ever mentioned him and focus on what the plan of attack should be against this defense.

Like OTC, I do agree with the premise to an extent. We have to be able to sustain drives and limit mistakes throwing the football. This generally happens with a short, precision passing game. Take what the defense gives you, methodically working your way up field. Kap needs to take advantage of his checkdowns and short reads. They will be open, but those windows close fast. He has to be a quick, confident decision maker in this game.
For some reason I don't think Indy's saying Andrew Luck needs to play like Peyton Manning to beat "x" team.

They're different players and they got to play within their own talents.
To be fair, Alex beat the Hawks at home last year with his dink and dunk passing game
Originally posted by defenderDX:
To be fair, Alex beat the Hawks at home last year with his dink and dunk passing game

Wouldn't count on Seattle scoring 6 points either though
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It's not about trust, the o-line flat out needs to give him more time. I think people really undersell the effect the poor pass-pro has played in the games Kap has looked bad. I think O-line play is the biggest key this weekend. They need to open lanes in the running game and give consistent time for Kap and the receivers in the passing game.

He's has plenty of time this year, he gets sacked forgetting there is a thing called pocket. Instead of standing or stepping up into it, like he will hopefully learn to do one day, he freaks out and runs backwards, left, or right, directly into where the passrushers are. He's showing very bad footwork and pocket presence this season. Not sure why but it is making it seem like the line is playing worse than they were last year when they aren't. Hopefully he gets over those bad tendencies quickly.