There are 234 users in the forums

Article: The 49ers need Kaepernick to play like Smith on Sunday

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
I never said that. Point is that Wilson gets big plays every game. He will most likely do it to our defense also. So, to help our defense who is facing a very good QB, our offense will need Frank Gore to do what he does so we push SEA's defense to change what they do so we can also get some big plays.

When Smith played, Gore would gash SEA AND SEA didn't have a QB that played at a high level.

You said he "faced" Russel Wilson. I'm just trying to figure out how that happened.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by crabman82:
agree with this, that stat along with interceptions, whether they the qb fault or not, always stick with them

Check NFL.com for your favorite QB's W/L record. I guarantee you won't find it because it doesn't exist. There is a reason for this. A very good reason.

what does nfl.com have to do with anything? you can find any qb's w-l record within 3 or 4 minutes. can you find an outside linebackers? wins and losses stick with qbs and coaches.
what does nfl.com have to do with anything? you can find any qb's w-l record within 3 or 4 minutes. can you find an outside linebackers? wins and losses stick with qbs and coaches.

You can find the INT stats you mentioned in NFL.com. And every other stat that means anything.

You can find the INT stats you mentioned in NFL.com. And every other stat that means anything.

cool. doesnt take away from the fact that w-l's stick with qbs. all i'm reading in several sources this week is about wilsons needing 1 more win to have the most in his 1st 2 seasons. i dont see them attaching that stat to bobby wagner. additionally ever since t-giving all i've heard about is tony romo's career record in novemeber but yet no mention of jason wittens. w-l's stick with qbs, whether its found on nfl.com is irrelevant. you'll probably disagree, but if memory serves you were the same dude who thought seattles 12 points in carolina came on all fg's, all the while trying to tell me i was just looking at the stats and not actually watching their road games.
I never said that. Point is that Wilson gets big plays every game. He will most likely do it to our defense also. So, to help our defense who is facing a very good QB, our offense will need Frank Gore to do what he does so we push SEA's defense to change what they do so we can also get some big plays.

When Smith played, Gore would gash SEA AND SEA didn't have a QB that played at a high level.

You said he "faced" Russel Wilson. I'm just trying to figure out how that happened.

agree with this, that stat along with interceptions, whether they the qb fault or not, always stick with them

Check NFL.com for your favorite QB's W/L record. I guarantee you won't find it because it doesn't exist. There is a reason for this. A very good reason.

Crab, Gavin is talking about how it's a team game.

Gavin, I think crab was more touching how everyone always seems to attribute wins and losses, regardless of fault, to the QB. Alex Smith clearly should not be faulted for his teams last three losses. He was incredible in those games, going toe to toe with arguably the best QB in the game and another one of the so-called "elite" passers in Philip Rivers. But since his team lost, people will say "Alex Smith lost."
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Gavin, I think crab was more touching how everyone always seems to attribute wins and losses, regardless of fault, to the QB. Alex Smith clearly should not be faulted for his teams last three losses. He was incredible in those games, going toe to toe with arguably the best QB in the game and another one of the so-called "elite" passers in Philip Rivers. But since his team lost, people will say "Alex Smith lost."

we all know its a team game, we should also know they cite qb w-l record all the friggin time, it stays with them wehther its fair or not, just like an interception where the wr ran the wrong route of tipped the ball to the D.
I see what the OP is getting at, and I agree. I think this game will be won if Kaep can use his checkdowns more than he has all season. Maybe, use his checkdown as his second read instead of 3rd or 4th. I think he is going to have very little time this game, with the o-line issues were are having. So, hes going to have to be more decisive. Get whatever he can every single play whether its 2 or 3yds, just keep it positive, and not force things. Also, use his running ability instead of 3 reads, just pick up positive yds.

Naw, common sense is all to common. That is why its called common sense. Pretty much everyone has it.

What is rare these days is uncommon sense.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I totally and completely understand that everyone does it. But, as you just pointed out with a great example, it is ridiculous trend. One of, if not the most, annoying ridiculous trend in sports talk.

A QB's team's record is a nonexistent factor when evaluating a QB.

The funniest part of this "Smith beat the Seahawks in three straight games" thing is that Smith also faced Tarvaris Jackson twice. Yes, he beat Russell Wilson, but let's be realistic here. Wilson was in his 5th or 6th start, and was not playing like he has been playing since the later part of last season.

Kaep needs to play his game and not let the pass rush phase him. He needs to protect the football and make plays where there are opportunities.

It really is irrelevant to compare Smith's games against Seattle.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
The funniest part of this "Smith beat the Seahawks in three straight games" thing is that Smith also faced Tarvaris Jackson twice. Yes, he beat Russell Wilson, but let's be realistic here. Wilson was in his 5th or 6th start, and was not playing like he has been playing since the later part of last season.

Kaep needs to play his game and not let the pass rush phase him. He needs to protect the football and make plays where there are opportunities.

versus seattles D it is IMO. i'm not talking about wilson vs our D, just that seattles D will give kaep some check downs, alex took them quite often and kaep has to be willing to do the same.
I think the article is lame but it achieved its main goal. Controversy of Kap/Smith again. And if this was not done intentionally, you are awful lame to think it wouldn't ignite more of the same old controversy.

^^^^This is my point exactly and not sure why most are dueling over Smiths W/L record. I am no Smith hater and never was, but after they lost Hasselback that offense was very pedestrian. Still a stout defense, but Smith NEVER had to do anything to win the game. Wilson can put up points with his arm, legs, or sustaining drives on 3rd downs. The Seahawks have caught up on our run schemes, as have most teams. We will still see 8 in a box and Kap just needs to play smart and take what is given. I didn't like the article comparing two completely different Seahawk teams since Wilson starting lighting it up mid last year. Their game plan isn't much different, but Wilson makes that offense more potent. The last thing I want Kap doing is taking sacks like Smith or just chucking it out of bounds -- play smart, avoid the rush and take the short yardage when needed!

versus seattles D it is IMO. i'm not talking about wilson vs our D, just that seattles D will give kaep some check downs, alex took them quite often and kaep has to be willing to do the same.

Seattle's defense in 2011 isn't even the same. Sure there are some of the same players but at that point they were completely inexperienced.

In 2012 they came around and held this offense to 13 points. Our defense won that game by golfing their offense to 6 points. Since then that offense can score without relying on the D.

I still don't think it is a relevant comparison.

Yeah he needs to take what is given underneath but that's all that needs to be said in the article. Instead the article calls for a direct comparison to Smith in order to fuel this debate.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Dec 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone