There are 193 users in the forums

Article: The 49ers need Kaepernick to play like Smith on Sunday

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That is the title of the most recent blog on the Webzone. Do you agree or disagree with it?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1211-49ers-need-kaepernick-play-like-smith-sunday/
Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM
By Jack Hammer @NinerChatter

On Sunday the 49ers will try to break a 2 game losing streak to the Seahawks. Looking back over the last two losses one thing became clear, they needed Alex Smith.

Before you think I've lost my marbles, let me say that they don't actually need Smith on the field, just for Colin Kaepernick to play like him. Let me explain further. The Seahawks thrive at forcing opponents to make mistakes by becoming impatient and trying to do to much. Opposing offenses have to protect the ball and meticulously work it down the field if they are to have a chance, and this is something that Smith thrives at doing. And he did it almost flawlessly during three straight victories against Seattle from 2011 to the first half of 2012.

Smith's style of play was boring. He constantly leaned on his defense and his special teams, but most importantly he protected the football and rarely put those units in bad situations. Especially against Seattle. In his three starts against the Seahawks after the arrival of Jim Harbaugh, Smith threw a total of 1 interception. In Kaepernick's two starts against Seattle he has thrown 4 interceptions, and in the 29-3 loss back in September, Seattle's first 5 points and 15 total can be traced directly back to Kaepernick.

Now to be fair, both of Kaepernick's starts against the Seahawks have taken place in Seattle. That's a tall task as we were all reminded of while watcing the Seahawks take apart the Saints. In fact, the Seahawks haven't lost at home since December 24, 2011 when the 49ers defeated them 19-17.

That fact doesn't change what Kaepernick will need to do if the 49ers are going to win on Sunday. The Seahawks defense doesn't give up many big plays in the passing game, something that the 49ers passing game tends to need to be successful. For example, in Sunday's victory over the Rams 167 of Kaepernick's 275 total passing yards came through 6 completions.

The Seahawks defense also comes into the game leading the NFL by allowing the fewest yards after the catch. On Sunday over half of the 49ers passing yards were the result of big yards after the catch plays by the wide receivers, 141 of 275.

Go back to the last time the 49ers defeated Seattle. After trying to take some deep shots in the first half and coming up snake eyes, the 49ers opened the second half with a different approach. On that opening possession the 49ers went 85 yards on 10 plays including 5 completions on 5 attempts for 65 of those yards, Gore for 15, Hunter for 11, Gore for 12, Crabtree for 10, and the money shot to Delanie Walker for 12 yards and the only touchdown of the game. That drive set the Seahawks back and opened up the running lanes for Frank Gore who had runs of 37 and 20 yards on ensuing drives.

During his time in San Francisco, Smith came to be known by some as Captain Checkdown for his propensity to not take chances with the ball and instead make the safe throw underneath. The check down is something we have not seen a lot of from Kaepernick during his time as the starting quarterback, but it is something that he will likely need to do quite a bit this week. If the 49ers are going to beat the Seahawks they will need Kaepernick to play a lot like Smith.

Overall, I agree to an extent. Kaepernick has to play mistake-free football, not force anything, and take what the defense gives. That is the recipe for beating Seattle. Establishing the run game is huge too, and that's what led to Tampa nearly beating the Seahawks IN SEATTLE. I hope we come out with a plan that stresses these things.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM ]
Kaep needs to play like Last years Kaep.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

the coaches need to coach better in my opinion
I said this during the last loss. The Seahawks thrive off of turnovers and opponents making mistakes. One of the main reasons Russell Wilson's and their offenses stats in terms of yardage they have gotten against us has been such a small number is because they were constantly playing on a short field leading to easy scores.

The defense will be there. They always have. If the offense can just play mistake free football, we should win. I'm not even concerned so much about winning the division, but more so, defeating a really good team, and in this case, the best team in the NFL.

Last years Kaep lost 42-13 to the Seahawks. I hope (and expect) he plays a lot better than that.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Last years Kaep lost 42-13 to the Seahawks. I hope (and expect) he plays a lot better than that.

You knew what he meant.
lolll, um no.

Alex Smith just lost 3 straight.

Excuses in 3...2...1..
Originally posted by niners94:

You knew what he meant.

I did and I disagree that he needs to play that exact way. Kaepernick even in his good moments still took a lot of chances and forced balls into areas. This didn't work very well when he faced outstanding defenses in Seattle and Baltimore. That's not how you beat Seattle. You have to adapt your game. Kaepernick's understanding of situational football has to have grown to the point where he can play the game the way that is necessary to get the win.
Originally posted by verb1der:
lolll, um no.

Excuses in 3...2...1..

This is completely unnecessary. The Chiefs defense gave up nearly 500 yards of offense three games in a row while their offense averaged 30+ points per game and 350+ yards of offense in that span. Alex Smith didn't personally lose anything. The Chiefs team did. Nearly every analyst in the nation can see that and there are plenty that have commented as such.

What purpose does a post like that serve other than to incite people? Stop, please.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
lolll, um no.

Excuses in 3...2...1..

This is completely unnecessary. The Chiefs defense gave up nearly 500 yards of offense three games in a row while their offense average 30+ points per game in that span. Alex Smith didn't lose anything. The Chiefs team did.

What purpose does a post like that serve other than to incite people? Stop, please.

What purpose does this thread serve but to incite?! Smith is not even on the team, might as well say "Kaep needs to play like Tom Brady." I'd agree with that!

lolll, um no.

Excuses in 3...2...1..

This is completely unnecessary. The Chiefs defense gave up nearly 500 yards of offense three games in a row while their offense average 30+ points per game in that span. Alex Smith didn't lose anything. The Chiefs team did.

What purpose does this thread serve but to incite?! Smith is not even on the team, might as well say "Kaep needs to play like Tom Brady." I'd agree with that!

It's a 49ersWebZone article... ON THE HOMEPAGE.... I didn't write it. The post only asks for peoples' opinion on the article while stresses a certain approach/game plan to the game this week. It is completely unnecessary to turn this into a Alex Smith vs. Kaepernick post. I guess the Webzone author is inciting everyone.

All the author of the article did was cite an example in a QB whose approach happened to work against Seattle.
lolll, um no.

Excuses in 3...2...1..

It's a 49ersWebZone article... ON THE HOMEPAGE.... I didn't write it. The post only asks for peoples' opinion on the article while stresses a certain approach/game plan to the game this week. It is completely unnecessary to turn this into a Alex Smith vs. Kaepernick post. I guess the Webzone author is inciting everyone.

All the author of the article did was cite an example in a QB whose approach happened to work against Seattle.

This is a dangerous topic in NT, there are a lot of sensitive feels in here.

This Seahawks team isn't even the same team Alex faced last year!

The article is dumb! How bout looking at Andrew Luck's success vs the Seahawks this year, it's a lot more relevant!
lolll, um no.

Excuses in 3...2...1..

The article is dumb! How bout looking at Andrew Luck's success vs the Seahawks this year, it's a lot more relevant!

Well, there you go. There's your opinion: in a nutshell, you vehemently disagree.

Next point: Can someone find the similarities in the way that Luck and Colts beat them and the way the 49ers beat them with Smith under center last year? Our cast right now is different than the Colts, so how did we do it with a similar cast last year?
Kap just needs to beat the f**king seahawks and get the monkey off his back. Like when Young finally beat the Cowgirls.

He needs to be smart with the football, read the defense and blitz, and have good pocket awareness. I want to see him step up into the pocket and take running lanes up the middle when they are there.
lolll, um no.

Excuses in 3...2...1..

Well, there you go. There's your opinion: in a nutshell, you vehemently disagree.

Next point: Can someone find the similarities in the way that Luck and Colts beat them and the way the 49ers beat them with Smith under center last year? Our cast right now is different than the Colts, so how did we do it with a similar cast last year?

Smith actually played a horrible game last year vs the Seahawks, it was one of his worst games of the year statistically. Kaep will need to play WAY BETTER than that!

Luck was able to extend plays vs the Seahawks, that's the only way to beat their D imo. Relying on timing routes, and playing scared will not work.
[ Edited by verb1der on Dec 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone