LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Found this interesting (Defenses faced)...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Something else I found interesting....

While it's true the 49ers currently own the 31st ranked pass offense, they are actually 8th in the NFL in yards per attempt (7.6). IE, while they don't throw alot, they are very efficient when they do.

Hi Marv,

When coupled with a completion percentage of 57.8 (32nd), that doesn't exactly scream "efficient".
Originally posted by ECLaloosh:

While it's true the 49ers currently own the 31st ranked pass offense, they are actually 8th in the NFL in yards per attempt (7.6). IE, while they don't throw alot, they are very efficient when they do.

Hi Marv,

When coupled with a completion percentage of 57.8 (32nd), that doesn't exactly scream "efficient".

i'd love to see that number rise, but he throws for chunks in the intermediate game. hes not stacking the comp % with a bunch of 2 yard throws like a lot of guys do.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Hi Marv,

i'd love to see that number rise, but he throws for chunks in the intermediate game. hes not stacking the comp % with a bunch of 2 yard throws like a lot of guys do.

Agreed. Simply pointing out that while Y/A does show what you're getting roughly, it does not paint a clear picture of efficiency on it's own. For example, were his completion percentage a bit higher, I'd imagine you'd see that TD% (12th at 5.0%) rise as well.
The 49ers have played 12 games this season. SIX of them are against teams ranked in the top NINE in defense...and one of those nine is the 49ers themselves.

So they have played 6 of the top 8 defenses they could have faced.

That also doesn't include the Rams who are improving and the fact that the 49ers will face the #1 ranked Seahawks twice and the #7 ranked Cardinals twice.

#1: Seahawks
#2: Panthers
#3: Texans
#4: Browns
#5: 49ers
#6: Bengals
#7: Cardinals
#8: Saints
#9: Titans

If you look at Points per game, they have faced #1, #2, #6, and #8 (and they are #3 in PPG...and would likely be better without several garbage time TDs late in games this year).

This is not meant as an excuse for the offense. They need to play better against these teams...just remember that almost EVERYONE is struglling with these teams defenses.

just a pet peeve of mine, i hate analysis like this. whos to say those in front of us havent given up an identical number of garbage time points? it just smells of homerism. we're 3rd and that should be good enough. i just feel like when comments like that get made, that its highly likely the person who states it hasnt gone back and looked at what the other top teams in ppg allowed have given up in terms of garbage time points.

True (and I had a feeling someone would say something about that), but most other teams (including Seattle) haven't been on the good side of blowouts this season. While the Niners have struggled against the better teams, they have been OBLITERATING the other teams on their schedule.

A good example is this weekend...the Rams had 122 yards of offense through 3 quarters....yet they ended up with over 300.

A better stat would be how offenses perform vs top 10 defenses. Would like to see ppg vs top 10 defense ranking.

Hi Marv,

Agreed. Simply pointing out that while Y/A does show what you're getting roughly, it does not paint a clear picture of efficiency on it's own. For example, were his completion percentage a bit higher, I'd imagine you'd see that TD% (12th at 5.0%) rise as well.

His ypa should increase too as the cmp % rises. 7.6 ypa at 57.8% is a bit odd. You would think someone with that low a % would have a ypa below 7. Kap is a big-play QB. Getting a consistent underneath/intermediate option in Crabtree back should help him be much more consistent.

Good stats all around there.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
His ypa should increase too as the cmp % rises. 7.6 ypa at 57.8% is a bit odd. You would think someone with that low a % would have a ypa below 7. Kap is a big-play QB. Getting a consistent underneath/intermediate option in Crabtree back should help him be much more consistent.

Our yards-per-completion is pretty high. #4 tied with Denver. Pretty amazing company actually.
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-completion

#1 Eagles are on fire
#2 Seattle has Russel Wilson who makes a ton of broken pocket plays which always result in big gains.
#3 Detroit has Calvin Johnson
#4 SF and Denver are tied

Pretty good company.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Our yards-per-completion is pretty high. #4 tied with Denver. Pretty amazing company actually.

#1 Eagles are on fire
#2 Seattle has Russel Wilson who makes a ton of broken pocket plays which always result in big gains.

Pretty good company.

Yup. The downfield throwing capability is certainly there. All we need is to find that "rhythm" we keep talking about. Have the ability to sustain drives by methodically passing the ball for 1st downs. The run game won't always be dominating people. In this day and age, you have to be able to rack up 1st downs doing both.

Hi Marv,

Actually, if your average per attempt is 8th and your comp% is 32nd that tells me that you are really trying to push the ball down the field. Your average per completion must be astronomical.

Not intending to say that Kap and the passing O hasn't struggled. They have. It's just not as bad as the media is portraying.
True (and I had a feeling someone would say something about that), but most other teams (including Seattle) haven't been on the good side of blowouts this season. While the Niners have struggled against the better teams, they have been OBLITERATING the other teams on their schedule.

A good example is this weekend...the Rams had 122 yards of offense through 3 quarters....yet they ended up with over 300.

as we get deeper into the season and hit the playoffs, what you did against the lesser teams of the league doesnt really matter. we're only going to play those teams who we have struggled against already, and we'll be playing them on the road. we can turn it around but i'm not really caring what we did against s**tty teams.

Of course...but that has nothing to do with my point. Only saying that the Niners have been in garbage time more than other teams ans that's why they've given up a lot of garbage time yards and points. I wish someone tracked that.

Hi Marv,

Actually, if your average per attempt is 8th and your comp% is 32nd that tells me that you are really trying to push the ball down the field. Your average per completion must be astronomical.

Not intending to say that Kap and the passing O hasn't struggled. They have. It's just not as bad as the media is portraying.

13.2 (3rd) in Y/C but the two guys in front of him are completing at a much higher rate (Wilson 64.9% and Foles 63.3%) and as a result, their Y/A is quite a bit higher (Wilson 8.8 and Foles 9.1).

I'm not pushing Wilson stats btw. Simply discussing efficiency as it were...
[ Edited by ECLaloosh on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM ]

as we get deeper into the season and hit the playoffs, what you did against the lesser teams of the league doesnt really matter. we're only going to play those teams who we have struggled against already, and we'll be playing them on the road. we can turn it around but i'm not really caring what we did against s**tty teams.

Of course...but that has nothing to do with my point. Only saying that the Niners have been in garbage time more than other teams ans that's why they've given up a lot of garbage time yards and points. I wish someone tracked that.

All 2013 games where Niners lead by 10 or more points in the final 10 minutes...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi?request=1&match=summary_all&year_min=2013&year_max=2013&team_id=sfo&opp_id=&game_type=R&playoff_round=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&quarter=4&quarter=5&tr_gtlt=lt&minutes=10&seconds=00&down=0&down=1&down=2&down=3&down=4&yds_to_go_min=&yds_to_go_max=&yg_gtlt=gt&yards=&is_first_down=-1&field_pos_min_field=team&field_pos_min=&field_pos_max_field=team&field_pos_max=&type=PASS&type=RUSH&is_turnover=-1&is_scoring=-1&no_play=0&game_day_of_week=&game_location=&game_result=W&margin_min=10&margin_max=50&order_by=yards
[ Edited by ECLaloosh on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM ]

Hi Marv,

13.2 (3rd) in Y/C but the two guys in front of him are completing at a much higher rate (Wilson 64.9% and Foles 63.3%) and as a result, their Y/A is quite a bit higher (Wilson 8.8 and Foles 9.1).

I'm not pushing Wilson stats btw. Simply discussing efficiency as it were...

Kinda making my point for me.

Foles has been unreal and Wilson is having a great year.

All 2013 games where Niners lead by 10 or more points in the final 10 minutes...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi?request=1&match=summary_all&year_min=2013&year_max=2013&team_id=sfo&opp_id=&game_type=R&playoff_round=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&quarter=4&quarter=5&tr_gtlt=lt&minutes=10&seconds=00&down=0&down=1&down=2&down=3&down=4&yds_to_go_min=&yds_to_go_max=&yg_gtlt=gt&yards=&is_first_down=-1&field_pos_min_field=team&field_pos_min=&field_pos_max_field=team&field_pos_max=&type=PASS&type=RUSH&is_turnover=-1&is_scoring=-1&no_play=0&game_day_of_week=&game_location=&game_result=W&margin_min=10&margin_max=50&order_by=yards

Doesn't really capture it.

49ers had huge leads and the game was essentially over against every team they beat outside of Green Bay and Arizona. I know they gave up points and yards late to the Rams both times, the Titans, the Jags, at LEAST 28-35 pointws and a lot more yards...especially vs the Rams on Sunday and vs the Titans.

It is what it is tho. Just sayin they've had a lot of leads.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

#1 Eagles are on fire

Pretty good company.

Yup. The downfield throwing capability is certainly there. All we need is to find that "rhythm" we keep talking about. Have the ability to sustain drives by methodically passing the ball for 1st downs. The run game won't always be dominating people. In this day and age, you have to be able to rack up 1st downs doing both.

It's hard to find that rhythm when you almost never throw quick slants, screens. Maybe those routes are getting jumped? Crabtree's play hopefully will help us create more rhythm.
Share 49ersWebzone