There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Found this interesting (Defenses faced)...

The 49ers have played 12 games this season. SIX of them are against teams ranked in the top NINE in defense...and one of those nine is the 49ers themselves.

So they have played 6 of the top 8 defenses they could have faced.

That also doesn't include the Rams who are improving and the fact that the 49ers will face the #1 ranked Seahawks twice and the #7 ranked Cardinals twice.

#1: Seahawks
#2: Panthers
#3: Texans
#4: Browns
#5: 49ers
#6: Bengals
#7: Cardinals
#8: Saints
#9: Titans

If you look at Points per game, they have faced #1, #2, #6, and #8 (and they are #3 in PPG...and would likely be better without several garbage time TDs late in games this year).

This is not meant as an excuse for the offense. They need to play better against these teams...just remember that almost EVERYONE is struggling with these teams defenses.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
The 49ers have played 12 games this season. SIX of them are against teams ranked in the top NINE in defense...and one of those nine is the 49ers themselves.

That also doesn't include the Rams who are improving and the fact that the 49ers will face the #1 ranked Seahawks twice and the #7 ranked Cardinals twice.

If you look at Points per game, they have faced #1, #2, #6, and #8 (and they are #3 in PPG...and would likely be better without several garbage time TDs late in games this year).

This is not meant as an excuse for the offense. They need to play better against these teams...just remember that almost EVERYONE is struglling with these teams defenses.

just a pet peeve of mine, i hate analysis like this. whos to say those in front of us havent given up an identical number of garbage time points? it just smells of homerism. we're 3rd and that should be good enough. i just feel like when comments like that get made, that its highly likely the person who states it hasnt gone back and looked at what the other top teams in ppg allowed have given up in terms of garbage time points.

edit: also those point stats include all points given up, whether the D gave them up or the O or sp teams.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM ]
Something else I found interesting....

While it's true the 49ers currently own the 31st ranked pass offense, they are actually 8th in the NFL in yards per attempt (7.6). IE, while they don't throw alot, they are very efficient when they do.
iron sharpens iron
Yup. It's been one hell of a schedule as far as facing top tier defenses. 3-3 against those teams so far.

And look at the Browns. Who knew? 4th in total defense, 1st in yards per play, but only 19th in points allowed. Crappy offense strikes again.
Originally posted by susweel:
iron sharpens iron

Love that saying.
Originally posted by crabman82:

This is not meant as an excuse for the offense. They need to play better against these teams...just remember that almost EVERYONE is struglling with these teams defenses.

just a pet peeve of mine, i hate analysis like this. whos to say those in front of us havent given up an identical number of garbage time points? it just smells of homerism. we're 3rd and that should be good enough. i just feel like when comments like that get made, that its highly likely the person who states it hasnt gone back and looked at what the other top teams in ppg allowed have given up in terms of garbage time points.

True (and I had a feeling someone would say something about that), but most other teams (including Seattle) haven't been on the good side of blowouts this season. While the Niners have struggled against the better teams, they have been OBLITERATING the other teams on their schedule.

A good example is this weekend...the Rams had 122 yards of offense through 3 quarters....yet they ended up with over 300.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM ]

While it's true the 49ers currently own the 31st ranked pass offense, they are actually 8th in the NFL in yards per attempt (7.6). IE, while they don't throw alot, they are very efficient when they do.

That is very good stat. YPA is a better indicator of passing efficiency than total yards. I would argue our yards per attempt is as high as it is because we stayed committed to the run game. Had we aired it out and put more pressure on Kap with a depleted receiving core, our total yards would be higher but I bet YPA would be lower. We had to stick with the run to manufacture opportunities in the pass game.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM ]
Our offense helped those defenses rank so high. 3 and out.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

That is very good stat. YPA is a better indicator of passing efficiency than total yards. I would argue our yards per attempt is as high as it is because we stayed committed to the run game. Had we aired it out and put more pressure on Kap with a depleted receiving core, our total yards would be higher but I bet YPA would be lower. We had to stick with the run to manufacture opportunities in the pass game.

Kaps YPA last year was a league high 8.3. The difference? IMO, No Crab, No Walker, No Moss, No Manningham, and limited Vernon.

But then again...this isn't a Kap thread so forget I ever said that.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

If this was week 4 I'd be there with you, but 12 weeks into a season is enough time to get a clear picture.

yeah i remember saying this before we hit that bad stretch of carolina/new orleans game.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

1 game out of 12 doesn't skew the stats that much. Those defenses have been consistently good.
True (and I had a feeling someone would say something about that), but most other teams (including Seattle) haven't been on the good side of blowouts this season. While the Niners have struggled against the better teams, they have been OBLITERATING the other teams on their schedule.

A good example is this weekend...the Rams had 122 yards of offense through 3 quarters....yet they ended up with over 300.

as we get deeper into the season and hit the playoffs, what you did against the lesser teams of the league doesnt really matter. we're only going to play those teams who we have struggled against already, and we'll be playing them on the road. we can turn it around but i'm not really caring what we did against s**tty teams.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by susweel:
iron sharpens iron

Love that saying.

Me too