There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which 49ers defensive player will really step it up these next 4 games?

Manny Lawson
hitner
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Manny Lawson

Roderick Green
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Eric Reid

I can see that. There will be plays where the right thing for him to do is come up quick and plug a gap near the line that Lynch is slashing through. Other times he will have to make make sure nobody gets behind him when Wilson scrambles and then close in real fast if Wilson completes a pass to an open receiver - or have to close in fast and make a sure tackle on Wilson as quickly as possible when it's clear Wilson is going to run rather than pass. On designed pass plays from the Hawks, Reid will have to understand what Wilson is seeing and try to anticipate where Wilson will sling the ball. Absolutely none of those things will be easy to do well and the offensive coordinator will try his best to force Reid to make the right choice amongst those priorities really fast while throwing deceptive wrinkles into the picture.
kentwan balmer
but for realz i hope its aldon pass rush will be key to our success
Gonna shock everyone and say Carlos Rogers. He very quietly has had a solid season.

Some interesting stats from PFF, among players who are on the field for at least 75% of the total defensive snaps:

Ranks 7th in the NFL in QB rating for passes thrown into his coverage -- 67.4 QB rating. Richard Sherman is 6th -- 66.1 QB rating.
Ranks 4th in the NFL when in slot coverage -- opposing QB's have a 62.5 QB rating.
Ranks 6th in yards given up per completion -- 10.4

Also, he has only given up 1 TD all season long.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Eric Reid

I can see that. There will be plays where the right thing for him to do is come up quick and plug a gap near the line that Lynch is slashing through. Other times he will have to make make sure nobody gets behind him when Wilson scrambles and then close in real fast if Wilson completes a pass to an open receiver - or have to close in fast and make a sure tackle on Wilson as quickly as possible when it's clear Wilson is going to run rather than pass. On designed pass plays from the Hawks, Reid will have to understand what Wilson is seeing and try to anticipate where Wilson will sling the ball. Absolutely none of those things will be easy to do well and the offensive coordinator will try his best to force Reid to make the right choice amongst those priorities really fast while throwing deceptive wrinkles into the picture.

Couldn't say it any better than that. Reid needs to be discipline with his assignments and his keys. Nice post!!
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Dec 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM ]
TJE
Eric Reid!!!
The Oline.vs Seatles Dline. I hope they spent this week finding a way to get Looney and Snyder comfortable running. The stretch play works well with Hunter. Maybe a couple of zone runs. Pass blocking is obviously the most important area of this matchup. Tackles on end. Interior vs Tackles. Blitz pickups. Kaep is going to have to throw under pressure. Much of the offenses success will depend on how comfortable Kaep is.

Glenn Dorsey vs Max Unger. As someone else stated if pass coverage ia going to be succeaful stopping the run up the middle will be crucial. If you're able to meet a Lynch at the A gap it's so much easier on the entire defense because he's not picking up speed and breaking into the 2nd level.

Pass rush vs 3rd downs. We have to win this one. This is the key to keeping the coverage clean. The rush is only half the battle. Gap integrity has to be maintained when facing a mobile QB. Aldon and Brooks have to get hits. I hope Fangio is conservative with the blitz because I would hate to see what happens when everyone gets jumbled in the line and Wilson is able to escape.
I'm looking for The Belhaven Blanket to get, not one, but two Pick Six over the last 4 games of the regular season.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Manny Lawson

Roderick Green

Melvin Oliver
to the poster who said Rogers....has a good point. I was going to say Smith but Rogers is playing pretty solid right now!
Manny Lawson

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Manny Lawson

Roderick Green

Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
kentwan balmer

Reggie Mcgrew