LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

2013 - Week 13: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What I wanna know is why doesnt Harbaugh/Roman have that killer instinct to just step on an oppents throat and run it up?
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kap: Incremental improvement. I saw him check down several times. I saw him move to his third receiver. I saw him successfully throw to a player not named Boldin or Davis. Not much to add other than that I think he's still a work in progress and he is progressing.

2) Crab: DAMN it was nice to see him out there again. He's clearly not himself yet, but I think whats missing right now is more mental than physical. He got hit. He got pushed around. He made a move and beat a defender. It takes time for his confidense to come back after an injury like that. He played better yesterday than I had anticipated he would.

3) Boone: Wow. That was impressive. He is a natural Tackle, but still...switched sides and positions and we barely noticed. In fact, I noticed his absense at guard more than I noticed his play at Tackle. That could all change with a team getting time to prepare for him, but I was pretty damned impressed with him yesterday.

4) Vernon: Wear a cup...especially if you plan to continue hurdling people.

5) Aldon: Perhaps not all the way back or maybe just playing a very good LT. He was constantly pushed beyond the pocket and knocked down a few times. There were a few double teams and he got some pressure a few times, but not like we've seen in the past. Perhaps I just need to score this one to Long being a good LT and let it go at that. Aldon did play very well in run support though.

6) Looney: First ever game action and I thought he played well considering. He missed some blocks and they were never able to get anything going inside (the Rams made sure of that), but not to shabby for his first NFL game action. He moves very well when he pulls.

7) Frank: He's lost it. He's done. Lets activate Lattimore. If anyone is familiar with my history on evaluating Gore, you'll get that one.

8) Anquan: He's slow. He doesn't separate....and he's a godsend. Just imagine this team right now WITHOUT Boldin. Wow. Cudos to Baalke for making that trade even if the role he's filling right now isn't the one they thought he'd be filling. I always invisioned him as a guy they let walk away next year just like all of the other 1 year rental WRs they've had. Now I'm thinking they at least attempt to keep him around, but his price might just be too high.

9) James: LaMichael will be fine. I saw that he tweeted out after the game that he had food poinsoning any played anyway. He made a few of those returns interesting and I can do without that, but it is what it is. Kyle wasn't alot better and he wasn't getting any return yardage either. LaMichael will be fine.

10) Seattle: It's Seattle week. Its strange though. Perhaps it's because the division crown would require a miracle of sorts, but I am not all that amped up for this one. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the 49ers shut those 'hawk fans up...but I'm not all that worried about it. If they win, cool. If not, all well, Niners still probably make the playoffs and it doesn't make a huge difference who won this game. Beyond this game sit the Bucs, Falcons, and Cards. If the 49ers have proved anything this year it's that they can beat inferior teams soundly. Yes, I'm counting the Cards as an inferior team. With a loss this weekend the Niners are still likely to finish 11-5 and I just don't see another team in the NFC getting to that mark for the 6th seed.

From there it's a tough road....probably in Detroit for round 1. Probably in NO for round 2. Should they advance through those 2 rounds, probably in Seattle in round 3. All noisy places to play so if they get to Seattle they'll have alot of experience on the road in the noise.

As I said last week...should be fun.

1) Continuing improvement, it's a good sign. I still think Kap has been hampered by the play calling and lack of WR personnel. Lots of people on this forum and in the media want to attack him on being a one read QB and not going through his progressions which is absolute nonsense. What happens this game? Legitimate receiving threats on the field and all of a sudden he's hitting his 2nd and third reads. He also took a check down to Gore on a 3rd when blitzed, though Gore was tackled short.

2) Great to see Crabs back and he contributed right away. Very important as Seattle will look at that and realise they cannot ignore him when he's bust 60yards on a catch on his first game back. The double move was great to see. Ties into Kaps performance abov, but I think it's becomming obvious that Moore, Baldwin and Williams were not up to scratch.

3) Boone is great, I still have concerns on the Oline though and largely related to Goodwin. Unfortunately I think age is catching up to him and a big part of Kap's struggles have related to poor Oline play, with pressure coming down the middle and from the sides - look at the Panthers game for evidence. I would be tempted to start Boone at LT, Looney at guard and Kilgore in centre but not against Seattle. We're going to have to struggle through that but I'd bleed Kilgore in for the play offs.

4) Nothing to really say, I did panick that it was his hamstring initially.

5) Not quite the pressur eI was hoping for either, but he was down as an injury concern in the week with shoulder worries. I think that may have contributed to an average performance - we just always expect beast mode sacks.

6) He did well, refer to point 3 though with Boone - I think the Oline is probably the weakest it's been for a while even beyond personnel changes.

7) I think this is our play calling, we're incredibly predictable on when we'll run and where we'll run it to. This issue has been bubbling away for a while and overshadowed by a poor passing game, but we need to make some adjustments on the run game as we've been figured out.

8) Beast. Re-sign him or clone him but get him back next season. I think ultimately his form will see Manningham out the door with Patton taking over from MM.

9) Agreed - I think the illness just robbed him of sharpness, but he does need to work on his catching.

10) We have it in us to beat Seattle, but Roamn needs to up his game because I think they have our number on the play calling. Going to be an interesting week.
Again, Marvin, yay, your post to read.

I have to compare this win with the Seattle game against NO Monday. The Seahawks look confident, fast and play intuitively. Just crushed NO and made them look feeble. Wilson is allowed to play his game and he is really good at that!

The Niners...sort of opposite of that. I kept worrying that one little bad tip or bounce and suddenly the Niners would be behind a team they dominated.

The Niners could beat Seattle away from their illegally loud stadium and cowed officials. I actually think they have to because if the Seahawks play loose and fast and blow them out the post season might not happen or matter actually.

It would be good to see that smug, strutting gum-chewing Coach Pete eat it for at least one game.

And...CK needs to study how Wilson communicates with the world. Comes across as an articulate adult who doesn't wear stupid-hats and treats questions with respect and has fun doing it. Ck comes across as a guy who is not sure of himself.
Originally posted by carlgo:

I have to compare this win with the Seattle game against NO Monday. The Seahawks look confident, fast and play intuitively. Just crushed NO and made them look feeble. Wilson is allowed to play his game and he is really good at that!

The Niners...sort of opposite of that. I kept worrying that one little bad tip or bounce and suddenly the Niners would be behind a team they dominated.

The Niners could beat Seattle away from their illegally loud stadium and cowed officials. I actually think they have to because if the Seahawks play loose and fast and blow them out the post season might not happen or matter actually.

It would be good to see that smug, strutting gum-chewing Coach Pete eat it for at least one game.

And...CK needs to study how Wilson communicates with the world. Comes across as an articulate adult who doesn't wear stupid-hats and treats questions with respect and has fun doing it. Ck comes across as a guy who is not sure of himself.

Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by LosAngeles49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post man.

here's my 2 cents.

Miller blocked very well and the pass he caught - I think it went 20 yards was just what I wanted to see. Someone other than VD & Boldin catching the ball all alone. Hopefully, Seattle will also ignore other players like Manningham.

Rogers had a solid game.

Tavon was a zero-factor thanks to excellent special teams coverage and fine D-backs play.

Wright still seems a bit uncomfortable BUT played better than the week before.

TJE played very well, great hussle on the fake punt. Rams got us twice last year w/that. He keeps showing up on plays.

We still need LOTS of improvement in the Red Zone. 2 for 4.

Our 3rd down conversion sucks big time. 37% in the last 2 games against mediocre teams; 4-14 in Skins and 4 - 12 in Rams game. That isn't going to cut it against the Seahawks, and other playoff teams.

Finally the UNCUT TRUTH that every1 seems to be missing!! OUR REDZONE OFFENSE is fu*cking DISASTROUS if Gores/Dixons not running it in during short yardage situations. IT HAS NOT BEEN ADDRESSED and keeps being overlooked ever SINCE LAST YRS SUPERBOWL GAME when COACH HaRoman couldnt in 4 downs get into the ENDZONE during the SUPERBOWL LOST to Ravens. Har-Roman kind of s**tted in their pants!! All these damn FGs are depressing and the lack of come from behind victories for Kaep and the team are ALSO A HUGE CONCERN for me, although Im excited about our recent play, esp Crabs returning.

Sometimes you are yelling other times you are not it is very confusing.

this is a TRUE STATEMENT
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by susweel:
our red zone play calling sucks ass.

You need a sophisticated pass offense to succeed. Also limited in that Kaep throws a poor fade pattern.

But he has been much better at the back shoulder throws.

Wonder what Kaps better pitch was, a slider or a hard curveball?
Originally posted by TexasNiner915:
What I wanna know is why doesnt Harbaugh/Roman have that killer instinct to just step on an oppents throat and run it up?

I think it's to try and avoid injuries if the game is already decided
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by TexasNiner915:

I think it's to try and avoid injuries if the game is already decided

Yup.. The bigger issue is to turn some of these chip shot FGs into TDs, and run up the score in the first 3 quarters.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by carlgo:

Lol kap has a small weiner!
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Aldon didn't look like himself. Yes he played against a good LT, but Long went out with a head injury and never returned, so then Aldon went against their backup LT and still didn't do crap!

That back up tackle was Roger Saffold who has done better against Aldon than any other tackle I could remember.

Originally posted by NikeSBHead:
Lol kap has a small weiner!

lol
Is Marvin dead? He usually shoots these out with a quickness. I am legitimately concerned...

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Is Marvin dead? He usually shoots these out with a quickness. I am legitimately concerned...

Sorry peeps.

My euphoria for the victory was destroyed when we had to put our Siberian Husky Grace to sleep this morning. I'll post my thoughts in the morning.

Sorry peeps.

My euphoria for the victory was destroyed when we had to put our Siberian Husky Grace to sleep this morning. I'll post my thoughts in the morning.

My feels
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

Sorry peeps.

My feels

ty
Share 49ersWebzone