Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Oline 2015 Projection:

LT: J. Staley
LG: B. Thomas
C: M. Martin
RG: J. Looney
RT: A. Davis

Assuming we dont overpay for Boone/Iupati,

Should we assume both want to be paid top dollar for guards . . . in the top 5-10 at their position at least?

That 2015 projection would look a lot better to me if we kept one of them. Hopefully we can get one of them to take a little discount.

I would assume they both want to be paid top dollar, they deserve it, imo. But we cant pay them.
Iupati can command top dollar since he is a top tier run blocking guard. Alex Boone can't command as much. He's average. But what makes him worth so much is that he can step in and play tackle with no drop off. That is a great luxury. Because of his versatility I would've hoped we could retain him. Hopefully he gets his head on straight. I won't write him off.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Oline 2015 Projection:

LT: J. Staley
LG: B. Thomas
C: M. Martin
RG: J. Looney
RT: A. Davis

Assuming we dont overpay for Boone/Iupati,

Should we assume both want to be paid top dollar for guards . . . in the top 5-10 at their position at least?

That 2015 projection would look a lot better to me if we kept one of them. Hopefully we can get one of them to take a little discount.

I would assume they both want to be paid top dollar, they deserve it, imo. But we cant pay them.
Iupati can command top dollar since he is a top tier run blocking guard. Alex Boone can't command as much. He's average. But what makes him worth so much is that he can step in and play tackle with no drop off. That is a great luxury. Because of his versatility I would've hoped we could retain him. Hopefully he gets his head on straight. I won't write him off.

I would say Boone is above average. Dont get me wrong, I would love to have him.
I would like for Boone to still be around but he may be stabbing himself in the ass. If he does not stay, it lowers the cap as well as allowing more talented youngsters to stay around. I mean players not necessarily more talented than Boone but not scrubs. It appears we have 2 UDFAs who have some ability as well as Martin and Thomas.So loss of Boone may allow for guys to make the roster in other spots. So in essence we could win in either situation. It is sad to think how many good players we could lose and I hope we can choose very wisely who to keep. I think Dillon Farrell, Kaleb Ramsay, Kenneth Acker and LJ McCray could be real keepers and would hate to lose them if we guess wrong. Just from the picks the team had as well as the UDFAs, it appears that they fully stocked the larder in that there doesn't seem as if there is any more room for talented rookies and the rookies they picked are worthy of their projected spots. I fully expect hard competition for all the spots they are competing for. I think there will be much sniffing around our waivers to the point, our practice squad could be emptied.

My personal hopes are that they forego special teams expertise for best talent and raw ability for nfl experience. With good young rookies, I would risk inexperince for better players even at the cost of a few games. Walsh always played talented players early even if the team lost a few games early but he had pros when crunch time came. IMO if you cannot survive some mistakes and win a championship, you were unworthy in the first place. Besides many times the big game turners turn out to be those talents you developed.
We didn't get out of the doldrums until we built our lines, DL and OL. Until then we just struggled. When Coach came along, he literally inherited a playoff team with a hx of 9 yrs of krap for coaches. Coach got a lot of credit, but really it was the OL and DL which set the 49ers on the road to respectability again. Who would have thot we go to 3 NFCC playoff games in 3 yrs? THAT was coaching...but the Lines were there. To lose Boone would ultimately make us a less good team. As Promethus notes, however, you have to stay within the cap...and Trent isn't busting it...he is keeping it in line...which is one of the reasons this team is so talented today. I wish boone could have waited til next yr, but if he has to be paid this yr, that is a lose /lose for us and him.

When cuts come, we probably will release enough talent to literally staff most of a starting team elsewhere. We are destined to lose quality, which I prefer...because for 9 long yrs, when we cut a guy, he was bad. Prior to Harbaugh, we were cutting guys who weren't even noticed elsewhere. Just goes to show the quality of depth trent has collected. Nonetheless it will be hard to see some of these guys go.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Been wondering what to do w/our OL situation. We know we have the depth, each and everyone of the guys can play.

But w/ Boone holding out, and Iuapti continues not wanting to extend his contract, do we just sign of them now and trade the other??

Can we possibly create a package Boone or Iuapti along w/LeMichael James and send them to either Jets or Giants for 1st rounder?
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Might as well throw in Michael Crabtree...since he's not going to be getting his deal done (like Iupati).
Originally posted by lazy:
Might as well throw in Michael Crabtree...since he's not going to be getting his deal done (like Iupati).

and harbaugh
Oh man.. i feel sorry for you. Posting this thread is going to bring nothing but hate. I hope you remain a member of the zone after what is about to happen.
I believe the Boone situation depends on how long it goes on. No hurry right now, but if he holds out throughout the entire camp I think a move would be more likely. Particularly if the trade partner had some damage done in pre-season to their line. But who knows, I rarely guess right in regards to Baalke and the FO.

• Dino
  • Veteran
Ha...ha...hahahahaha.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Been wondering what to do w/our OL situation. We know we have the depth, each and everyone of the guys can play.

But w/ Boone holding out, and Iuapti continues not wanting to extend his contract, do we just sign of them now and trade the other??

Can we possibly create a package Boone or Iuapti along w/LeMichael James and send them to either Jets or Giants for 1st rounder?

Seriously? A young lineman who is holding out and an injured returner for a 1st rounder?

Um, how dumb do you imagine other teams are?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yah let's weaken the current team for a draft pick that baalke will waste later. Also might as well throw in crabtree because he hasn't been extended either.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

if you can find someone dumb enough to trade a hold out and a one arm player for a first rounder, you should be doing something other than posting on the web zone.. good lord. the words romper room practically want to leap off my keyboard
Share 49ersWebzone