LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

O-Line Going Fwd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Staley is the most important guy on our Oline. I hope he retires a 49er.

We have so much depth no way we overpay our Guards.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
FWIW . . .

@BWilliamsonESPN

Hearing whispers still chance #49ers could consider giving Joe Staley new deal. Deal runs through 2017. Considered by many as underpaid.

https://twitter.com/BWilliamsonESPN/status/486309809843863552

I think the 49ers are being proactive with Staley. If Staley decides to hold out for a richer deal, he has a lot of leverage. Much more leverage than Boone/VD because Staley has been playing like a top3 LT while being paid like an upper middle class LT. Better to approach Staley with talk of renegotiation rather than let him become frustrated and start having his agent whisper into his ear, which may cost the 49ers more in the long run.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
FWIW . . .

@BWilliamsonESPN

Hearing whispers still chance #49ers could consider giving Joe Staley new deal. Deal runs through 2017. Considered by many as underpaid.

Good news...deals could be made for Staley and Boone (nothing for Davis) so if that is the case, expect a few hard salary cap cuts. Or, this FO is so coy, this could be a message to Boone. Play out your deal and we'll take care of you like we have been for Staley (a mainstay).
I think with VD indicating he won't hold out, the O-line with the two Martins and some quality backup redshirt injured players is in good shape. Staley is a great left tackle, but I don't know much about his run blocking. For some reason I feel the 49ers run more to the right than the left. The reason is maybe we have stronger run blockers on the right. Anyway, as good as Staley is, I think this offense would be a lot more versatile and unpredictable if we could run both right and left with equal effectiveness.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think with VD indicating he won't hold out, the O-line with the two Martins and some quality backup redshirt injured players is in good shape. Staley is a great left tackle, but I don't know much about his run blocking. For some reason I feel the 49ers run more to the right than the left. The reason is maybe we have stronger run blockers on the right. Anyway, as good as Staley is, I think this offense would be a lot more versatile and unpredictable if we could run both right and left with equal effectiveness.

I noticed that as well. This isn't anything new as the TE traditionally lines up next to the RT making the right side of the formation the strongside. Giving the QB more options to the right side which is where a right handed QB will naturally look towards. To your point, the 49ers seem to run to the right a very disproportionate amount of times when compared to the left. Can someone with PFF confirm if that's true (if that is indeed a stat they keep)?

My thinking is that Iupati pulls much better than Boone. I do not see Boone pull nearly as much so when the 49ers run with power on a guard lead play, it's Iupati leading the way. Boone will pull, but not nearly as much as Iupati. Even when Snyder was in at LG, the 49ers still seemed to prefer pulling Snyder (run right) instead of pulling Boone.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
A strength of the offense is its running. This is due to most of the league's defenses being geared up to defend the pass.

But the offense's strength is also a weakness in that when it needs to pass against a stout run defense, like Seattle's, it is at a handicap because it doesn't practice the pass as much as it practices rushes.

Seadderall's defense makes a lot of o-lines look horrible so don't let the seadderall NFC Championship game skew your view too much with this offensive line. Also we had o-line injuries in that game that further skewed the results in a bad way, in my opinion. This line was good enough to win 12 games - so it's not a disaster area. Depth and a good scheme will go a long way to improving the consistency of this line in my view.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

I noticed that as well. This isn't anything new as the TE traditionally lines up next to the RT making the right side of the formation the strongside. Giving the QB more options to the right side which is where a right handed QB will naturally look towards. To your point, the 49ers seem to run to the right a very disproportionate amount of times when compared to the left. Can someone with PFF confirm if that's true (if that is indeed a stat they keep)?

My thinking is that Iupati pulls much better than Boone. I do not see Boone pull nearly as much so when the 49ers run with power on a guard lead play, it's Iupati leading the way. Boone will pull, but not nearly as much as Iupati. Even when Snyder was in at LG, the 49ers still seemed to prefer pulling Snyder (run right) instead of pulling Boone.

Too much Right handed running can possibly be eliminated with a two tight end set, in that case. And I agree with you, when the guards pull left there seems to be more missed blocks and breakdowns than to the right. Having said that, re:boone I just don't see his leverage in holding out. I think it's easier dealing with a holdout O-linemen than a holdout skill player (rb, te, wr, qb) and I think the 49ers have good depth to replace boone if he was missing in training camp.
FWIW . . .

@BWilliamsonESPN

I think the 49ers are being proactive with Staley. If Staley decides to hold out for a richer deal, he has a lot of leverage. Much more leverage than Boone/VD because Staley has been playing like a top3 LT while being paid like an upper middle class LT. Better to approach Staley with talk of renegotiation rather than let him become frustrated and start having his agent whisper into his ear, which may cost the 49ers more in the long run.

This is smart. They saw the talent in Staley early in his career and I believe extended him after only a year or two. I think Staley has remained quiet because he is a good guy and has been fairly compensated the bulk of his career. An extension in my opinion would be one that could ensure he retires a 49er or will be near it.
Oline 2015 Projection:

LT: J. Staley
LG: B. Thomas
C: M. Martin
RG: J. Looney
RT: A. Davis

Assuming we dont overpay for Boone/Iupati,
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Oline 2015 Projection:

Should we assume both want to be paid top dollar for guards . . . in the top 5-10 at their position at least?

That 2015 projection would look a lot better to me if we kept one of them. Hopefully we can get one of them to take a little discount.
Should we assume both want to be paid top dollar for guards . . . in the top 5-10 at their position at least?

That 2015 projection would look a lot better to me if we kept one of them. Hopefully we can get one of them to take a little discount.

A lineup with a healthy Thomas at one guard and Boone/Iupati at the other would be pretty monstrous

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
FWIW . . .

@BWilliamsonESPN

This is smart. They saw the talent in Staley early in his career and I believe extended him after only a year or two. I think Staley has remained quiet because he is a good guy and has been fairly compensated the bulk of his career. An extension in my opinion would be one that could ensure he retires a 49er or will be near it.

It also would send a powerful message.

If we extend Staley, and not the holdouts, it will teach players to not holdout.
This is all good and all, but can we please extend crabtree first.

This has been my unerstanding as well and yes, PFF does keep those stats so I hope someone has those for us. I've always felt Staley was a much better pass protector than at sealing the edge as he seems to get blown up a bit at the POA (not very strong). That said, he's probably one of the best downfield blockers in space d/t his athleticism. We don't seem to run many off-tackle runs and when we do, it seems like it's always with Hunter off Davis' side.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC80nd:

This has been my unerstanding as well and yes, PFF does keep those stats so I hope someone has those for us. I've always felt Staley was a much better pass protector than at sealing the edge as he seems to get blown up a bit at the POA (not very strong). That said, he's probably one of the best downfield blockers in space d/t his athleticism. We don't seem to run many off-tackle runs and when we do, it seems like it's always with Hunter off Davis' side.

I've not seen jonathan martin play much, other than getting schooled by aldon. But he's supposedly a very strong run blocker. I'm hoping he might turn into a joe jacoby/irv pankey/Jackie slater kind of O-lineman. In this offense, I'd love an o line that would mirror the Redskin Hog's of the 80's.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Oline 2015 Projection:

I would assume they both want to be paid top dollar, they deserve it, imo. But we cant pay them.
Share 49ersWebzone