LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Saw something today

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Its been missing from our arsenal it seems since kaep has been at the helm which of course isn't his fault but a damn SCREEN PASS.

Been thinking this all along but with a great athletic OL wouldn't this have been to the answer to slowing down pass rushes in games like NO, CAR, and Seattle which I'm almost positive we ran no screens?

Gore was an arm tackle away from that TD on that screen.. although it was a short gain.. if we get the screen game going, I see this offense turning a new corner really quickly.. would suit our backs as well as slow down pass rushes which we will see coming soon. What say you?
Originally posted by 49erjonny:
Its been missing from our arsenal it seems since kaep has been at the helm which of course isn't his fault but a damn SCREEN PASS.

Been thinking this all along but with a great athletic OL wouldn't this have been to the answer to slowing down pass rushes in games like NO, CAR, and Seattle which I'm almost positive we ran no screens?

Gore was an arm tackle away from that TD on that screen.. although it was a short gain.. if we get the screen game going, I see this offense turning a new corner really quickly.. would suit our backs as well as slow down pass rushes which we will see coming soon. What say you?

You've only seen this now? ME and alot of others on this forum have been screaming for more screens and slants for awhile now. Roman doesn't use it on a regular basis for some reason.
Originally posted by E-49er:

You've only seen this now? ME and alot of others on this forum have been screaming for more screens and slants for awhile now. Roman doesn't use it on a regular basis for some reason.

No totally all season but we ran one!! Lol. I def agree don't post much read a lot on here and didn't see it brought up anywhere really
No totally all season but we ran one!! Lol. I def agree don't post much read a lot on here and didn't see it brought up anywhere really

I gotcha. Its been brought up in almost every gameday thread and repeatedly in the Greg Roman thread.lol.
Welcome to the zone! Its been discussed for quite some time now.
Welcome to 2011
  • dugo
  • Veteran

I gotcha. Its been brought up in almost every gameday thread and repeatedly in the Greg Roman thread.lol.

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Welcome to the zone! Its been discussed for quite some time now.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Welcome to 2011

This-es
I saw something today too. Vernon Davis can only be tackled by his dick.
What is this 'screen pass" you speak of?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
screen passes, slants, WHERE'S THE DEEP BALL?

I saw that Roman has no faith in the WRs behind Boldin/Manningham, which is why he stayed in 2WR sets all year. As soon as Crabtree stepped on the field, he stuck with 3WR almost as a base package. It's easy defend a passing attack with 2WRs and a TE. The extra WR really opened things up. I like what I saw from everyone yesterday, especially in the passing game.

If the Oline can hold up and allow Gore to slip out as a WR, we'll be even more effective.

I loved seeing the smile on Crabtree's face yesterday. Whether it was from hitting a DB or making a big catch, he was taking it all in and having fun with it.
Originally posted by strickac:
I saw that Roman has no faith in the WRs behind Boldin/Manningham, which is why he stayed in 2WR sets all year. As soon as Crabtree stepped on the field, he stuck with 3WR almost as a base package. It's easy defend a passing attack with 2WRs and a TE. The extra WR really opened things up. I like what I saw from everyone yesterday, especially in the passing game.

If the Oline can hold up and allow Gore to slip out as a WR, we'll be even more effective.

I loved seeing the smile on Crabtree's face yesterday. Whether it was from hitting a DB or making a big catch, he was taking it all in and having fun with it.

The Rams also decided to keep extra defenders in the box anyways and force the 49ers to pass. The good part is the 49ers were able to take advantage and Kaepernick was able to get into rhythm early and often. Having Crabtree around clearly opened up more space for Boldin and Davis, not Gore though.
Roman better have a plan against Seattle. Those guys can cover and put pressure on the QB.

A whole bunch of 3 & outs won't help our D either.

Screens have been spoken about often in the Zone and I totally agree.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Welcome to 2011

• thl408
The 49ers run draw plays much better than they do screen passes. They are a notch below average when it comes to the screen game. At least they ran a middle screen which requires the least running from the OL. The draw plays they ran had moderate success. The play where Crabs got flagged for a block in the back looked good even with the penalty by Crabs. Both types of plays will achieve the same goal, slow down the pass rush.
Share 49ersWebzone