There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What will it take for the 49ers to host any playoff games?

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
doesnt even matter, were just as good home or away

Except in Seattle
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
We need an old priest and a young priest
Same here..I will just buy them the day they go on sale

As a season ticket holder, will they hold our playoff seats for that long? do we get first dibs if they do make it to the playoffs? I see that in my invoice I can buy it now but will refund me if they dont play a game at the stick. I wasnt aware that we can purchase them before the public AFTER knowing we make it to the playoffs? Thanks in advance! GO NINERS!
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by dave1003:
The NFL's playoff seeding is a joke. If you win your division you should get in but home field advantage should be by record like the NBA is. You guys remember when the 7-9 seahawks hosted the 12-4 saints and won? It's beyond comprehension why you are awarded with a home playoff game for being in a terrible divison. I don't know why the NFL doesn't address this issue.

there has to be something said for winning your division. if not then do away with them all together and just bring the top 6 teams. if you're going to have divisions the winner has to be given something for winning the division otherwise it seems totally pointless.

I don't have a problem with making the playoffs if you win your division but you shouldn't be able to host a home playoff game if you have a worse record than your opponent.
Originally posted by 49erssanjose:
As a season ticket holder, will they hold our playoff seats for that long? do we get first dibs if they do make it to the playoffs? I see that in my invoice I can buy it now but will refund me if they dont play a game at the stick. I wasnt aware that we can purchase them before the public AFTER knowing we make it to the playoffs? Thanks in advance! GO NINERS!

Don't you have the "Pay as We Play Program" option?
Playoff packages can be reserved with the Pay As We Play Program. By signing up for this program, you will be charged for the first potential home playoff game on December 30th. All additional games will be charged as they are confirmed.
  • Happs
  • Veteran
We need to win out. Seattle needs to lose to New Orleans and either AZ or STL in Seattle. Unlikely. If SEA lose to NO, SF, and NY, they own the tie breaker since they've beaten Carolina and we lost to Carolina.

We're probably either going to Detroit, Dallas, Philadelphia, or Chicago on Wild Card weekend. Assuming we win, we'll end up going to either SEA or NO. A tough road in the playoffs for sure.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
do not care.. just want to eek into the playoffs.. considering how bad the team has played and has been coached at times this year, that alone would be major
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Dudes--I was utilizing espn's playoff predictor or something and we still get a wildcard if this happens. We need the 'hawks to lose at least 4 more games :(.

You're doing it wrong then. If they lose to Arizona or St. Louis, as well as us and the Saints, we win division tie breaker 5-1 vs 4-2... and I verified this... with the ESPN Playoff machine.
Originally posted by crabman82:
there has to be something said for winning your division. if not then do away with them all together and just bring the top 6 teams. if you're going to have divisions the winner has to be given something for winning the division otherwise it seems totally pointless.

So getting into the playoffs with a 7-9 record when there are more than a couple teams in your conference with a better record that don't get into the playoffs at all isn't enough? That is what you get, you get in. Rewarding a team that wins a bad division with a .500 or worse record with a home playoff game is icing on the cake and it makes no sense.

If the playoffs were to start today the 49ers would have the 4th best record in the NFC but would be the 6th seed in the playoffs and have to go on the road to play Carolina in the first round while Dallas would have a home game against the Lions (or vice versa, I'm not sure what the tiebreaker is), both teams with a worse record than the 49ers. Something not fair to the 9ers or the Panthers.

What you get for winning your division is a guaranteed playoff birth, regardless of record. That is more than enough "something said" and is insanely unfair to teams in divisions with multiple powerhouses. Why make it even more unfair by giving the team that gets into the playoffs even though teams with better records in the same conference didn't by giving the 7-9 team a home game?
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
SF vs DAL one last time at the old lady

That would be amazing, but it would require two teams from the NFC East getting in (i.e. Philly winning the division and Dallas being a wildcard) so I doubt it.
Looks like we will be rooting for the Saints, Giants, Cardinals and Rams in the coming weeks .....Keep Hope Alive
BEST CASE SCENARIO:

12/2: NO beats SEA, moves to #1 due to tiebreaker.
12/8: SF beats SEA, SF - 9-4, SEA - 10-3 even tiebreakers
----- : NO beats CAR, secures #1 seed and wins South, CAR drops to 9-4
12/15: SF beats TB, SEA loses 2 of the final 3 games (all NFC games) or 1 game vs Rams or Cardinals (division games)
12/22: SF beats ATL, see above regarding SEA, NO beats CAR

NO gets #1 seed
SF nudges SEA due to NFC division or conference records - #2 seed
#3 and #4 seed inconsequential
#5 seed SEA
#6 seed CAR

This way, we'd get SEA at home and either NO or CAR would be eliminated before we see them.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Travel back in time, trade Kaepernick instead of Smith.

Chefs would be 11-0

We would be 0-11

No thanks

If Kaepernick went to the Chiefs, he would need to learn how to throw screen passes in order for them to go undefeated. Seeing how Crabtree was injured up until this week, Smith probably would have gave the Niners much more consistency without disappearing for a three game stretch.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
We need an old priest and a young priest

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!"

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Looks like we will be rooting for the Saints, Giants, Cardinals and Rams in the coming weeks .....Keep Hope Alive

Tonight and next Sunday will determine whether or not catching them is even a possibility. Then we will need to worry about just making it into the playoffs.