There are 39 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Holding back plays

the thing that ive noticed the last few weeks is Kap actually escaping when theres a breakdown in protection and taking off instead of trying to throw it anyway, throwing it away or taking the sack. hopefully theyve taken then reigns off him and let him run when he sees fit like last season. this offense is progressing at the right time, gotta get the run game back on track and we'll be deadly to anyone in the league. there is no defense in the nfl better than ours so with a more open offense and some added creativity from having crabs, mario and hopefully a little LMJ screen pass in the offense goin forward we should be pretty damn unstoppable
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I agree with you. I don't think the coaching staff would compromise the offense just to keep some plays secret.

I'm sure they have a few wrinkles in store that are game/team specific, and will probably give Kap the green-light as a runner during the playoffs.

Having wrinkles in store and allowing your QB to run when you previously told him he could not... Sounds like holding back to me.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I don't think the team is holding back plays. Why would you hold back against Carolina and NO and give up the chance to catch Seattle, get a first round bye etc etc. It makes no sense at all.

We had both of those games within reach. I'm willing to bet the coaching staff thought we would win both without having to unveil anything.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Seems like every year there is a thread like this. Fans attempting to justify lousy unimaginative offense. The plays are the there, blame the coordinator.

Except this thread is the opposite. Read before you reply.

Lol I did read. Obviously there are plays in the playbook we haven't seen. Why they aren't being called we'll never know.

Every game there are several plays that seem new to us or are flipped, but have been in the playbook all year that just haven't been called.

Yea, I agree with you on that. But it seems there are some who feel the team is holding back something that they don't want to reveal until the playoffs. I guess I just question that because why would you hold things back when your offense is anemic at best. I do, however, think they're always rewriting things and creating new plays. I just don't think there are game-winners they're holding back until the postseason.

To be clear, I don't believe they are holding back some crazy secret plays, but they ARE holding Kaepernick back and not allowing him to run. That much is obvious and not debatable. They call very few designed runs for a QB that is as big of a threat as Kap is with his legs. I don't know if they'll unleash him in the playoffs, but they most certainly have held that part of our offense back. Which to me, means they are holding back plays. Probably not what everyone else means, though.
My wishful thinking is that Roman is holding out on an offensive package for LMJ that we won't see until playoff time. A guy can dream. ::sigh::
we were all in on the read option working as the offensive base. once that failed, they needed to effectively restart training camp during the season.
i'm sue there are a lot of different variances of plays that have been yet used, but i look back to the Jax game and we sure did experiment with a slew of new plays & formations..

I can tell you this for sure:

1) Kaep will run more once the playoffs come. The coaching staff has done the obvious. Make a running QB learn how to stay in the pocket and read a D. It took steve young a few years to master this. Not comparing at all, but It helps a QB's progression & confidence in audibles.

2) More aggressive offensive play calling is what we will see. Not so much of this conservative crap. It's almost identical to the last two years.

3) We're starting to see it now more...the pressure from the d-line. This was a lil worrisome earlier this yr but finally has picked up. Brooks especially is playing out of his mind
Well, that means Jim lied. By any means necessary. Pfft
I think were gonna see Kap get mobile and LMJ get some snaps on offense. im lookin for manningham to have a huge game against the hawks. with crabs and boldin back, plus VD manningham should be golden against their 4th or 5th DB since browner and that other guy wont be playing
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I hope they are holding back plays and explode in the playoffs
I agree there might be a few things they are holding back , especially in the passing game, but with Crabtree and Manningham back, I hope our attack continues to improve and build on the last couple weeks, we need to get everyone involved and avoid having a one dimensional attack
Mark Schlereth basically said the same thing about the 49ers/Saints, and even went as far as saying how his coaches actually did it one year in Denver. They were playing some AFC team that they had to play in the regular season and at the time playoffs were a lock for both teams. It was a very high chance they would have to see them at some point and time if they were going to the SB. So they ran a basic offense and defense, got blown out but when they played them in the playoffs they unleashed hell on them. Not saying that's the case here, but I think out coaching staff has a tendency to add/remove stuff from the playbook regularly.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Mark Schlereth basically said the same thing about the 49ers/Saints, and even went as far as saying how his coaches actually did it one year in Denver. They were playing some AFC team that they had to play in the regular season and at the time playoffs were a lock for both teams. It was a very high chance they would have to see them at some point and time if they were going to the SB. So they ran a basic offense and defense, got blown out but when they played them in the playoffs they unleashed hell on them. Not saying that's the case here, but I think out coaching staff has a tendency to add/remove stuff from the playbook regularly.

I'm willing to bet there is some interesting stuff they have practiced, but yet to use in a game ...like maybe another screen pass, or a 5 WR spread , something nobody has on tape of us
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
we were all in on the read option working as the offensive base. once that failed, they needed to effectively restart training camp during the season.

Uhh, no. They abandoned the read option before the season even started. They don't allow Kap to run!
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Uhh, no. They abandoned the read option before the season even started. They don't allow Kap to run!

we don't allow him to throw either (close to, if not, last in attempts i believe). so he's on the field for nothing?

we ran the read option more vs. GB and in seattle, then started getting run heavy after the colts game......