There are 214 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Holding back plays

Some on here have suggested that perhaps the 49ers' offensive staff is holding back some plays, waiting for the playoffs or a playoff run. That is, they have plays they're not unveiling yet. Even Ted Robinson said this week that he hopes the 49ers are waiting to unveil some new plays when we play Seattle.

I guess I just don't buy this. Yes, there may be new wrinkles and a few plays here or there, but I don't think they're holding smoking guns until December or January. Especially in light of the struggles against Carolina & NO.

I do, however, think that as the playoffs get here (or perhaps earlier since we may not even make it to the postseason), we'll see them turn Kap loose more as a runner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG07WSu7Q9w
I agree with you. I don't think the coaching staff would compromise the offense just to keep some plays secret.

I'm sure they have a few wrinkles in store that are game/team specific, and will probably give Kap the green-light as a runner during the playoffs.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I agree with you. I don't think the coaching staff would compromise the offense just to keep some plays secret.

I'm sure they have a few wrinkles in store that are game/team specific, and will probably give Kap the green-light as a runner during the playoffs.

Agree with this too. Don't want Kaepernick running until playoff time.
lulz
Playoffs? It would be easier to believe that holding they were purposely back part of the playbook if they had fixed the play clock management, timeout and challenge issues way back in the early part of the season. These ongoing problems don't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy about GR in particular. They're purposely trying to look like they don't know what they're doing.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM ]
When the plan is working, the offense only uses what it needs to, when it has to. -This has been a common theme throughout the Harbaugh era, and not just some 'Annexation of Puerto Rico' stuff.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Playoffs?

Small disagreement.

I think they held back the "Read-Option" last year until the playoffs.

I have zero proof just my opinion. And if they did it once doesn't mean they won't do it again.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Small disagreement.

I think they held back the "Read-Option" last year until the playoffs.

I have zero proof just my opinion. And if they did it once doesn't mean they won't do it again.

Not just your opinion. Roman has said as much quite clearly, and it was also quite clear in the games themselves (the R/O completely disappeared, and then showed up as the primary offense to get past the Packers, at which point it disappeared again because the Falcons and Ravens had practiced for it).

That said, I think that was an anomaly and was a team that had essentially already locked down the division. The 9ers are fighting for a wild card spot. Basically if they ARE holding back plays, they're idiots. I hope, and strongly suspect, they're not idiots. :)
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Nov 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM ]
They should be adding new wrinkles for every game instead of keeping the status quo. Roman's getting paid to come up with new material on a regular basis.
If they are holding back plays that has to be on JH and not Roman.
LOL, so were they holding back plays on the last few plays of the Superbowl too? If so, Harbaugh is really playing the long game.
The fact we are tied with Arizona right now for the final playoff spot and not AT ALL guaranteed a playoff spot, means that holding back "great" plays would be insane. No team IMO holds any plays or anything for that fact back, waiting to unleash it for the playoffs. Every week in the NFL is important and coaches, coordinators etc can be fired at any point. As there are no promises any team will make post season, holding back "sweet" plays doesnt make any sense.

NFL Teams playbooks are so big that preparing for, and recognizing all the plays that the oppoentent can potentially run is impossible. Also, keep in mind a lot of these players are not exactly S-M-R-T.
harbaugh holds back plays. he did both his first 2 years. its part of his philosophy. weather its a good idea or not could be questioned at this point. but it what it is.