LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Brooks,Whitner: Wants Instant Replay To Be Expanded To Include Penalties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The game is delayed enough as it is

That argument is not valid. The game has to be delayed for commercials. They will call a timeout "on the field" if they have to, to get in the commercials. Since they have to show the commercials anyway, why not just have a commercial every time they have to look at a (non-super critical) instant replay? The game wouldn't be slowed down any more than it already is.

The NBA looks at replays for flagrant fouls, which are judgement calls. I believe the NHL looks at replays for major penalties too. They care about getting the big calls right. The NFL should care about game altering personal fouls, if they want to appear as professional as the NBA and NHL. Cause right now, it looks like a circus.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I agree some penalties suck, but challenging penalties wouldn't slow it down anymore than what it is now. Teams would have the same amount of challenges and the two most likely penalties that would probably be allowed is pass-interference and roughing the passer. IMO.

once you do that, where will it end ?

almost on every snap, there is a penalty

I think any scoring penalty or 15+ yard penalty should be reviewable.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I agree some penalties suck, but challenging penalties wouldn't slow it down anymore than what it is now. Teams would have the same amount of challenges and the two most likely penalties that would probably be allowed is pass-interference and roughing the passer. IMO.

I just told you were it would end, pass-interference and hits on QB's, of course you can't challenge holding calls, false starts, off sides etc etc...I'm mostly talking about big penalties the ones that actually cost teams games.

I just told you were it would end, pass-interference and hits on QB's, of course you can't challenge holding calls, false starts, off sides etc etc...I'm mostly talking about big penalties the ones that actually cost teams games.
and i told you..it will not end their if you start challenging penalties

on those big plays penalties..there is most likely an another penalty ..how can you review one and disregard another ?

That's is why penalties are untouchable for replay/challengeable

on those big plays penalties..there is most likely an another penalty ..how can you review one and disregard another ?

Because iirc they cannot call a penalty off of instant replays. So if they are reviewing a penalty and notice another penalty they can onpy focus on the penalty they are doing the review for.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Because iirc they cannot call a penalty off of instant replays. So if they are reviewing a penalty and notice another penalty they can onpy focus on the penalty they are doing the review for.

Exactly, the old rules still apply, just like you would still only get 2 challenges.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Its a good idea.

They should time the decision if its going to work because the game is long enough. and they should have a dedicated ref that looks at replay and communicates down to the refs on the field about the final decision. Watching the ref run over to the tv screen to watch footage is a waste of time because everyone else knows the call before the guy gets to the screen and puts the headphones on.

yup
Ref up in box ... instant ..and hell have the official rule book at his disposal
Honestly I don't care how long it takes !!!!!!

JUST GET IT RIGHT !
[ Edited by redrazer45 on Nov 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM ]
I don't see why it would have to be perfect. Not a huge problem with how they do it now. If a ref is blatantly throwing flags and using bad judgement I am sure the NFL would start there instead of making the game more tedious.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Penalties like PI or holding are subjective and dependent on degree. Replay makes no sense for them.

Replay makes sense for objective questions with binary answers (e.g. did the player step out of bounds or not, did the ball cross the goal line or not, was the ball dislodged before the knee hit the ground, etc.).

Thinking that replay will solve the problem of the subjectivity of penalties is misguided, IMO.
Bingo! I vote "no" on expanding replay to include penalties. You're opening up a whole can of worms with that one.
Originally posted by mayo49:
If they reviewed every judgement call the game would never end. It's fine the way it is.

it's pretty obviously NOT fine the way it is. I'm not saying that reviewing every judgement call is the answer but something needs to be done

i think this needs to be done, but it has to be done right, limit the types of penalties that can be challenged and figure out how it would work within 2 minutes of either half.
Teams would run out of all their challenges in the first quarter, what they need is a special ref in a booth upstairs that reviews each penalty as it happens to see if it's should really be enforced if the field refs are unsure. The game is so fast the refs are constantly calling a bunch of bs and missing the real penalties.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Nov 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone