LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Brooks,Whitner: Wants Instant Replay To Be Expanded To Include Penalties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why not just play regular football like it used to be and stop making QB's into sissies. They are going to have to put flags on these guys pretty soon (QB's). This isn't football anymore btw what you watch every week. I don't know what you would call it? But it isn't football.

will never happen because the issue of money. QB's make too much, and the nfl is being sued for being too rough....

I agree with you. But it will never happen. I think replays should be challenged on all plays. The refs have too much power to screw things up.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They changed all the rules when Brady got hurt. Don't hit high, don't hit low. Now you can't even hit the neck. You can't even hit high on the shoulder pads near to the neck or perceived to be near to the neck.

So you got to run full speed as a pass rusher, having some 6'7" 335 lb. monster shoving you the whole way, get around that and hit a QB in the belly button area of the stomach. Nowhere above. Nowhere below. And don't do that too hard either or it will be roughing. Even a midsection hit too hard will be a penalty no doubt.

I'm sorry what they are asking and expecting is absurd.

And when the defender lowers his head to target the midsection he will be called for leading with his helmet

Every QB hit is a flag now
let the coachs use one of thier challenge flags on game altering penalty's. just make it one of the 3 flags they already have. if this has been suggested I apologize.
You know what guys,

The league better just make the QBs wear a green jersey during the games so it will be known to defenders they are off limits. That means no touch,tackle or sack. I mean if they want to protect the QB than hell make them wear it.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We need to make sure personal fouls are earned and not given. The defenses that work hard all week to perform don't deserve it nor do the players and their families by shelling out dough wrongly

Exactly. These penalties that are 15+ yards are critical. Can really alter the outcome of the game.

There is no harm in making it a challengeable play, not initiated by the Ref crew unless in the final 2 minutes of a half. Teams can still be limited to 2 challenges a game, 3 if they win both. The game won't be slowed down at all.

This. So many good points in this forum. I would even add unlimited challenges, but if you challenge and lose, you lose a time out and 10 yards. Out of time outs, you lose 15 or 20. Too bad you can't penalize the refs for each call overturned, who would overturn their own call?
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The game is delayed enough as it is

I would rather wait a few minutes and get the call right.....than lose to the saints

I think you lose more viewers by letting a bad penalty stand than adding a few more minutes in a game to get it right!!
[ Edited by nanticoke on Nov 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:

So keeping the game moving is more important than getting the call right?

I agree that you should be able to challenge personal fouls, because the refs throw the flag without really knowing if there was helmet to helmet contact. But, itll never happen. It undermines the refs too much.

The real issue is the new Goodell rules. Either make the QB wear flags on his belt, or only call penalties for purposeful hits to the QB's head.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Your right lets not review any penalties that could help cost them games. Your right I'm with you.

Replaying and challenging penalties would stupid and definitely slow the game down to wear it could injure players more.

The real problem is the penalty itself
Originally posted by nanticoke:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

I would rather wait a few minutes and get the call right.....than lose to the saints

I think you lose more viewers by letting a bad penalty stand than adding a few more minutes in a game to get it right!!

And don't forget fans.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I don't understand why there isn't an official upstairs making the call immediately down to the field on all reviews, instead of the archaic looking into the hood by the head field ref. They do it for TDs, might as well do it for all replays. It would save a ton of time, although, the NFL would lose ad revenue. It's beyond sad that we as fans know the correct call almost immediately. Hell, Fox even has time to coordinate a correspondence with Mike Pereira in LA discussing the correct call well before the refs are done under the hood. Ridiculous. If we were able to make improvements to how quickly we go through the challenge process, we could add more challengeable items, like personal fouls.

For goals, Hockey has an NHL reviewer that reviews all disputed goals.

Why can't the NFL have league wide review where it goes "upstairs" so that people like Pereira can't second guess the on-the-field guys and then the league won't have to justify plays the next day. The disputed calls get determined by the league rules officials off premises. The challenges go to the league offices where they are not passioned by the pace of the game (unlike the "hood" official)

the technology is certainly there.
oh joy, cant wait for those 4 and a half hour games from all the reviewing

Originally posted by ram29jackson:

The OP is saying that penalties should be REVIEWABLE not that all penalties should be reviewed. In other words, a team can use one of their challenges to challenge a penalty
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Yeah, because those 60-90 second replays are already adding an hour+ to the games. PI and personal fouls should be reviewable. The penalties are just too big, especially PI.
If they don't protect the QB's then there goes their revenue

Oh you and your casual allegiances again! If my team were on the tube for 4.5 hours I will still tune in until the very last snap. But reviewing personal fouls and roughing of the passer won't add much if any time to the contest in all reality but you are free to disagree
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
The OP is saying that penalties should be REVIEWABLE not that all penalties should be reviewed. In other words, a team can use one of their challenges to challenge a penalty

ok fine if that's what was meant but I doubt it would end up being that simple or quick as most add ons tend to get time consuming.

and officials don't want too much of their authority questioned time and again
Share 49ersWebzone