There are 184 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Brooks,Whitner: Wants Instant Replay To Be Expanded To Include Penalties

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why not just play regular football like it used to be and stop making QB's into sissies. They are going to have to put flags on these guys pretty soon (QB's). This isn't football anymore btw what you watch every week. I don't know what you would call it? But it isn't football.

This is my dream scenario. Just go back to calling the game like they did for 50 years before The Golden Boy Tom Brady went down and Mother Goodell freaked out.
Originally posted by mayo49:
If they reviewed every judgement call the game would never end. It's fine the way it is.

Not saying to review every judgement call, but they should give teams 2 challenges for questionable penalty calls per game, one for each half or you can save both for the second half. Just a thought.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why not just play regular football like it used to be and stop making QB's into sissies. They are going to have to put flags on these guys pretty soon (QB's). This isn't football anymore btw what you watch every week. I don't know what you would call it? But it isn't football.

This is my dream scenario. Just go back to calling the game like they did for 50 years before The Golden Boy Tom Brady went down and Mother Goodell freaked out.

They changed all the rules when Brady got hurt. Don't hit high, don't hit low. Now you can't even hit the neck. You can't even hit high on the shoulder pads near to the neck or perceived to be near to the neck.

So you got to run full speed as a pass rusher, having some 6'7" 335 lb. monster shoving you the whole way, get around that and hit a QB in the belly button area of the stomach. Nowhere above. Nowhere below. And don't do that too hard either or it will be roughing. Even a midsection hit too hard will be a penalty no doubt.

I'm sorry what they are asking and expecting is absurd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,980
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Not saying to review every judgement call, but they should give teams 2 challenges for questionable penalty calls per game, one for each half or you can save both for the second half. Just a thought.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
They wouldn't review every call though. Just make it a challengeable play. As long as the number of challenges stays the same (2 per game, 3 if you win both), it won't slow down the game at all.

That sounds reasonable. Two challenges with the possibility of a third. As long as their not trying to challenge everything.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The game is delayed enough as it is

So keeping the game moving is more important than getting the call right?

I agree that you should be able to challenge personal fouls, because the refs throw the flag without really knowing if there was helmet to helmet contact. But, itll never happen. It undermines the refs too much.

The real issue is the new Goodell rules. Either make the QB wear flags on his belt, or only call penalties for purposeful hits to the QB's head.
I'm in favor of this. I don't really care if it makes the game longer or whatever because I'm watching football all day on Sundays anyway. All that matters is that the right calls are made. They could start by giving more of them red flags per game, like three per half.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,269
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The game is delayed enough as it is

Your right lets not review any penalties that could help cost them games. Your right I'm with you.
Other than a blatant missed facemask penalty (like against VD), I doubt many would ever get overturned (such as the Brees hit). Would probably just be a wasted challenge.
I second that.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The game is delayed enough as it is

So keeping the game moving is more important than getting the call right?

I agree that you should be able to challenge personal fouls, because the refs throw the flag without really knowing if there was helmet to helmet contact. But, itll never happen. It undermines the refs too much.

The real issue is the new Goodell rules. Either make the QB wear flags on his belt, or only call penalties for purposeful hits to the QB's head.

They call every hit no matter what. They never take into account the QB lowering his head and body to get at the same level as the person hitting them. You can see the defensive player attempting to tackle in the torso area but the offensive player lowers themselves to get hit high. I think this is something that they teach players to draw a penalty.
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The game is delayed enough as it is

So keeping the game moving is more important than getting the call right?

I agree that you should be able to challenge personal fouls, because the refs throw the flag without really knowing if there was helmet to helmet contact. But, itll never happen. It undermines the refs too much.

The real issue is the new Goodell rules. Either make the QB wear flags on his belt, or only call penalties for purposeful hits to the QB's head.

They call every hit no matter what. They never take into account the QB lowering his head and body to get at the same level as the person hitting them. You can see the defensive player attempting to tackle in the torso area but the offensive player lowers themselves to get hit high. I think this is something that they teach players to draw a penalty.

This is why I say once the call is made on a personal foul or roughing the passer penalty there should be a consensus reached and a film review before assessing said player and team a very costly game altering drive extending penalty and the ensuing exorbitant fine. You just shouldnt have some random official shooting from the hip the yellow laundry onto the field and teams and players just have to live with the outcome with no rebuttal. No one is asking for review of every single penalty but I am asking for a review or the chance to review these personal fouls or roughing the passer penalties. Let us get the calls right and the emphasis should be on making sure that the player and teams have earned the 15 yard penalty
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Nov 28, 2013 at 7:06 AM ]
Personal Fouls should be quickly reviewed just like touchdowns. It takes but a minute from the booth to look.
Didn't the league 'review' Brooks hit and still consider it a foul/fine?
What good would a game time replay/challenge do?
Love the idea, but have a feeling we'd still get the short end of the stick
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Not saying to review every judgement call, but they should give teams 2 challenges for questionable penalty calls per game, one for each half or you can save both for the second half. Just a thought.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
They wouldn't review every call though. Just make it a challengeable play. As long as the number of challenges stays the same (2 per game, 3 if you win both), it won't slow down the game at all.

That sounds reasonable. Two challenges with the possibility of a third. As long as their not trying to challenge everything.
This. They need to do something to fix it and this is reasonable. The refs have way too much influence on the outcome as it is now.
Penalties like PI or holding are subjective and dependent on degree. Replay makes no sense for them.

Replay makes sense for objective questions with binary answers (e.g. did the player step out of bounds or not, did the ball cross the goal line or not, was the ball dislodged before the knee hit the ground, etc.).

Thinking that replay will solve the problem of the subjectivity of penalties is misguided, IMO.